FSX Deluxe Edition

Thread: FSX Deluxe Edition

FSX Deluxe Edition

I have a copy of FSX Deluxe that was given to my by the owner of a local pizza shop after he got out of MS Flight Sim and took up Black Shark or whatever the combat helicopter sim is called. I have read about Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2 and Acceleration. And in another recent thread I read that there was a FSX Gold package that was all inclusive.

Does anyone know where FSX Deluxe falls into place in terms of SP1, SP2, Acceleration? Does the Deluxe edition need updated with SP1 and SP2? Would installing Acceleration benefit the performance of FSX on my older system (P4 3.0gig, 2gig PC-3200 RAM, 512meg Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS)?

I have installed FSX Deluxe twice and was disappointed with the performance on my system, but if installing the service packs would yield sufficient performance improvements to allow me to enjoy the recent freeware work of Piglet and Wozza, I would install FSX again and give it a try.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi OBIO,

I have about the same configuration. I have FSX installed and I have to run it at about default FS9 settings aside from a few sliders turned up. IF you go over to the FSX forum and check the sticky for the Addictive Sim Pitts, you can get an idea of what I'm running with for visuals. It's not much.

As for your PC running it, it should. Just don't expect anything even close to FS9 all wound up.

You'll have to install service pack 2 at a minimum. I recommend it. As for Acceleration, I have that installed also. But for me to see anything different from SP2-to-Accel, I don't. I'm sure others will have more to say.

Tim,
    in the whole gamut of FSX, there are two starting points - either FSX standard or FSX deluxe. As I recall, the difference is that deluxe has a few more of a few things like default aircraft - no real functional difference. On top of that you can install either -
    a - just SP1
    b - SP1 followed by SP2
    c - SP1 followed by Acceleration.

These are the only three choices you have - any other combination will not work properly, if at all. FSX Gold simply gives you everything you need to install Acceleration in the one package. Acceleration is built on top of SP2 as a starting point and gives you several new areas of functionality, including better helicopter modelling (FDEs and functional winching) and carrier ops.

Performance wise, SP2 was meant to deliver some real improvements, and Acceleration obviously piggy-backs on that. However, the long and short of it is that FSX performance depends very much on a user's specific PC and FSX configuration - the same settings on two seemingly identical PCs will not guarantee the same performance.

If you're interested in installing the SDKs as well, you should note that there are SP2 and Acceleration upgrades to the SDKs that have to be installed in sync with the application of the SPs themselves.

FWIW, my opinion would be to install FSX deluxe with SP1 and SP2 and see how that behaves - if you like it, you can always upgrade with Acceleration if the extra features are of interest to you. However, the safest way to do that upgrade would be to reinstall from scratch as outlined above.

For a very detailed guide to installing FSX, see Nick Needham's tutorial over at the Simviation forums,
    hope that helps,
    Ro
    :ernae: