REX vs Active Sky

Thread: REX vs Active Sky

REX vs Active Sky

As I line up the payware biys for my move from fs2002 to fs2004, I've seen a lot of stuff here using Active Sky.-- Real Environment Xtreme (REX) not so much. They both coast about the same and I want to get this right. At my age ya don't get many chances to start over from scratch with a major hobby.

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

I don't have either but I fly with those who do. On the whole Active Sky will produce the same weather as Jeppesen only a little more extreme. If Jeppesen is generating bad weather Active Sky will really be creating bad weather.

Rex however seems to generate weather that is 180 off. Meaning if it is raining at XYZ location Rex will have the weather clear. While Jeppesen and Active Sky will both produce more realistic weather to what is happening in the real world.

Both have better textures than the default sim.

Rex is the reason why the Around the World Race committee standardized and now requires everyone to use the Default Jeppesen Weather. Prior to this year we could use any add on weather generator because they were all in the same range of what they would produce.

For the textures Rex is a good product from what I understand but I have no clue where it is getting its weather data.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

about what version of active sky do we talk ?
    ask this since newest Active Sky Evolution does not come with own Textures!!!

I for Personal use REX for Cloud and enviroment and Active Sky Evolution (for FS9&FSX) for weather Generation

if you dont want to spent that much money I can recommend Free Pablo Diaz HDE V2 Enviroment Replacements which look sometimes even better than REX

conclusion:
    HDE V2+Active Sky Evolution would be an awesome combination for FS2004

Best Regards
    Thomas

I use Active Sky 6.5 and GE Pro (Flight 1). AS has the weather and clouds. GE Pro has the ground and sky. They work together and can produce textures to match the weather. Example, overcast will produce darker clouds, sky and ground textures. Makes for an awesome flying experience.