Issues with CFS2 new install

Thread: Issues with CFS2 new install

RAF_Swede

Icon5 Issues with CFS2 new install

Heya Guys..

Haven't been around here in quite some time, glad to see CFS2 is still used.

Well I've been playing around with CFS2 since 2000 and have never run into the problems I'm having now...And I have had just about every 3rd party add-on available at one time or another and never had any real serious problems.

I recently re-formatted my HD and updated XP to SP3. Have updated to .NET4. I just rolled back my nvidia driver back to a 85. series driver thinking the newer drivers might not know what to do with an old game, but that wasn't it.

I have tried uninstalling ad-aware, spybot and avast and reinstalling, not that either..

Basically the problems are;
    Can't use 3rd party aircraft in QC as the game will lock up. The stock planes are fine.

The joystick settings will not keep. I can't 'reverse' an axis and I cannot delete settings. I have deleted the config files in the root folder but still I can't config the joystick the way I have in the past. Tried 'saving' to a profile, no luck.

This is the first time I have run into this kind of thing with CFS2.. really wierd. Oh, CFS1 works just fine also.

Il-2 1946 4.09m works fine.

FS2004 works fine.

Does this sound familiar to anyone??

Thanks for any help

XP Home SP3 32
    2.4 AMD 64 Processor
    Albatron K8T800 Main Board
    250Gb HD NTFS
    1.5 Gb RAM
    GForce 7800 GS
    NVIDIA Driver Version 196.21 Version 4.00.1381.9621
    Samsung 24" SyncMaster Monitor

Saitek X52 Joystick

Welcome to the basement, I'm sure someone more "expert" than I will be along soon ...

I have WIN XP SP3 on dual core processor, Nvidia 7600GS & run without too much trouble, so these sound like configuration issues.

I use a Logitech Etreme 3D pro joystick, & that never holds it's calibration - it's niggle, but you adapt. Assume it's similar issue with the Saiteck

Meantime, do you have more than 100 add on planes installed (CFS 2 hard code problem with >100 planes)?

Is it really that ALL add on planes don't show in QC?

Have you tried Morten's MDLC interface Mk2 for windows, available here at SOH?

This neat program allows you to use different aircraft in different "theatres" (sidestepping the 100 plane limit), plus allows you to force CFS 2 to have all your aircraft selectable in QC?

The final thing I can think of is some particular add on aircraft have problems with their "names", meaning CFS 2 will not recognise them as available for QC, but these are certainly in the minority ...

Hang tight, greater minds than mine will be along soon.

RAF_Swede
    Heya Uncle..

Thanks for the reply..

Yes, I am aware of the plane limit in the Aircraft folder, and that's why I use 'ACMAN' to create various folders to 'hanger' all the planes I fly. There is only three add-on planes along with the stock planes in the Aircraft folder at the moment...

It is not an issue of the planes not showing up.. it's an issue of playing QC for a few minutes with 3rd party aircraft and the game locks up so hard I have to shut the computer off.

No, I have not tried Morten's MDLC interface Mk2 for windows..

Oh, and BTW.... Back in the day.. it wasn't real clear what causes this text after installing something new..

" Failed to initialize the data base. You might need to reinstall this product as some data files are missing or corrupted."

"Quck Combat Failed"

What are some of the things that cause this to come up?

Thanks!

Swede,

For addon planes to function in Quickcombat, you'll need to update your qc_plane file located in youir Quickom folder in the root CFS 2 folder. I think the best program to do this is:

QC Editor by Jonesoft:

Search over at the larger sim sights or here in the archives for:

JSQCEd.zip

It's easy to use and will fix up our QC problems.

I normally don't use the QC function as the MB is more flexible, but when I do, I normally hand edit the new plane in like this:

[option.1] <<< Option 1, Japanese fighters
    OptionName=%JapaneseFightersOption%
    aircraft.0=A6M2_Zero
    family_type.0=1
    name.0=%A6M2_ZeroName%
    aircraft.1=A6M5_Zero
    family_type.1=1
    name.1=%A6M5_ZeroName%
    aircraft.2=Ki43IIb_Oscar
    family_type.2=1
    name.2=%Ki43IIb_OscarName%
    aircraft.3=N1K2J_George
    family_type.3=1
    name.3=%N1K2J_GeorgeName%
    aircraft.4=Kawasaki_Ki_61
    family_type.4=1
    name.4=%Kawaski_Ki_61Name%

There are several catagories that you can use. Bombers, fighters, combinations, etc.

Good luck!
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

RAF_Swede
    Hey thanks Jagdflieger..

I remember that JC editor and have a copy of it somewhere..
    But, I still don't understand why the settings in 'Joystick Assignments' will not save. I cannot 'reverse' an axis and assignments keep changing. Any thoughts on this?
    Even 'saving' to a profile doens't help..
    Thanks

Lightbulb Some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by RAF_Swede View Post
    Heya Guys..
    I recently re-formatted my HD and updated XP to SP3. Have updated to .NET4. I just rolled back my nvidia driver back to a 85. series driver thinking the newer drivers might not know what to do with an old game, but that wasn't it.
    I have an NVIDIA 7300 GT AGP card with the newest drivers - working fine. (197.13)
    I recommend the drivers from the NVIDIA site; NOT the ones from Microsoft.

I have tried uninstalling ad-aware, spybot and avast and reinstalling, not that either..
    None of these should cause a problem. But on your rig (2.4GHz CPU) I would disable Spybot's "Tea Timer" as it's a resource hog.

Can't use 3rd party aircraft in QC as the game will lock up. The stock planes are fine.
    Are you flying over a stock base or over add-on scenery?

Have you tried deleting the following files in the main folder?
    AIRWAY_INDEX
    ICAO_INDEX
    INDEX_FILE
    LAT_INDEX
    STR_INDEX
    WAYPOINT_INDEX

They will automatically regenerate.

Also check the " error log " in the main CFS2 folder ... this might hold a clue.

Good Luck
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

RAF_Swede

Unhappy

Heya Dirtman..
    Thanks.. Stock airfields... I have yet to activate any addon scenery.
    I deleted the files you suggested.. no change.
    I did notice it seems to happen when I come in close proximity to my AI wingman.. will check further..
    I also get drivers from Nvidia
    tea timer is turned off before I start CFS2

I would still like to know why I cannot 'reverse' an axis is Joystick Assignments..

Question

I would still like to know why I cannot 'reverse' an axis is Joystick Assignments..
    This might be in the Saitek software .... maybe try reinstall or repair?

Find anything in the error or event log?
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

RAF_Swede
    Nothin it the log.. just a failed mission entry.. forgot to put a ship in that the mission needed..

Just might be the saitek software.. I'll play around with it some more.. Thanks