De Havilland DH 103 Sea Hornet NF 21 FSX is Out - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: De Havilland DH 103 Sea Hornet NF 21 FSX is Out

Quote Originally Posted by RyDraiggoch View Post
    Mike - after Noddy and MMann reported the same problem I did a little experiment
    if you read the real F20 pilots notes (specifically the care and feeding of the Merlins)
    you CAN use fly it with engine damage ON however the tendency for most people is to
    overboost the engines on take off....you can do EXACTLY the same thing with Del Palmers
    Dove if you your not very quick coming off the power and Boost after takeoff - the secret
    lies in the correct prop settings and careful mangement of the engine and prop rpm

Cheers

Leif
    My mistake. I thought the low end of the green zone would be safe. Most aircraft use green for the zone of safe use. I didn't realize that green should be thought of as red and that as soon as the gauge reached it the engines will trash themselves!!

Regards, Mike Mann

Hi all,
    Sorry your having trouble with the engine settings on the Sea Hornet.
    We decided to use the detonation system in FSX for a bit of realism as the real aircraft did not use full power on takeoff, less than 80% as I understand it, we copied the settings straight out of the P 51 Racer and de-tuned the power from over 3000HP!!! down to 2030HP, and it needs VERY careful handling on takeoff, but I can see it was a mistake to use these settings as it spoils the enjoyment of a casual flight if, Like me, you don't read the pilots notes!
    The fix is a simple one, just go to the aircraft cfg. file and delete this line....'detonation_onset =80.0000', that's under the [piston_engine] section and that will solve the problem.
    I wont include those settings in the single seat Hornet, which should be out in a few weeks.

Rob Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Hi all,
    Sorry your having trouble with the engine settings on the Sea Hornet.
    We decided to use the detonation system in FSX for a bit of realism as the real aircraft did not use full power on takeoff, less than 80% as I understand it, we copied the settings straight out of the P 51 Racer and de-tuned the power from over 3000HP!!! down to 2030HP, and it needs VERY careful handling on takeoff, but I can see it was a mistake to use these settings as it spoils the enjoyment of a casual flight if, Like me, you don't read the pilots notes!
    The fix is a simple one, just go to the aircraft cfg. file and delete this line....'detonation_onset =80.0000', that's under the [piston_engine] section and that will solve the problem.
    I wont include those settings in the single seat Hornet, which should be out in a few weeks.

Rob Richardson
    Could you use settings similar to the Acceleration P51. I have no problems whatsoever using that aircraft yet it still can trash the engine if you overdo it.

Regards, Mike Mann

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RyDraiggoch View Post
    Stickshaker

If your experiencing difficutly downloading at www.classicbritishfiles.com - go to the support forum there - I set up a thread for Roddymod with an alternative link to the file - it will be active for a couple more days.

Usually Im sorry to say the problem is with the download speed at your end. but the alternative link will give it to you I promise

Leif
    Thanks, Ry, it worked. Off to fly now!

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    ... but I can see it was a mistake to use these settings as it spoils the enjoyment of a casual flight if, Like me, you don't read the pilots notes!...
    Just a suggestion that you might include the pilot's notes or some type of documentation, next time?
    The only thing I found within the .zip file was the 'readme' which had no reference to the situation with controlling the engines.
    The only reference regarding pilot's notes was made in a previous post in this thread about them being up at "The Pond", with no link provided.
    I have no idea what "The Pond" is other than the reference to the Atlantic Ocean.
    Some of us 'Casual Users' do in fact read the documentation quite often. :salute:

Thank you for posting the adjustment information to the aircraft.cfg file.
    Please don't get me wrong, I do in fact enjoy your Sea Hornet.
    It is much appreciated.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Cedar Key - Or so Old John MacDonald would say
    <<Just a suggestion that you might include the pilot's notes or some type of documentation, next time?
    The only thing I found within the .zip file was the 'readme' which had no reference to the situation with controlling the engines.
    The only reference regarding pilot's notes was made in a previous post in this thread about them being up at "The Pond", with no link provided.
    I have no idea what "The Pond" is other than the reference to the Atlantic Ocean>>.

Well that would be my bad -- I assumed that people who come to www.classicbritishfiles.com with any frequency are aware its referred to as "The Pond" because of our gracious benefactor Rob English who uses the name "The Happy Otter" --- it makes little difference either way - AMONG the jewels hidden in the library there are a fairly extensive set of real world pilots notes for many WW2 and Post War British aircarft (courtesy of one David Jerram who collects them and has made them available to you all.

Reviving this old thread for some information. I've got two things that don't work on my system: I can land this baby with no trouble at all, but the taihook doesn't seem to grab the cable. Fortunately I can brake enough before I reach the end of the ship! The second thing is that the catapult SHIFT+I causes the plane to sink through the deck, tail first!

Has anyone got a solution for these problems?

Cees

That might be because the catapult is pulling the aircraft apart? Sea Hornets didn't use the catapult afaik, they had over 4,000 hp behind those 4-blade props...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    That might be because the catapult is pulling the aircraft apart? Sea Hornets didn't use the catapult afaik, they had over 4,000 hp behind those 4-blade props...
    Well, the Hornet did have a catapult provision as it seems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Hornet

Cees

Blog Entries
    Indeed. Large engines or not, the available takeoff-area length (roughly 300') of either the Majestic or Illustrious class carriers wouldn't, to my knowledge, be enough for an unassisted takeoff. I don't have off the top of my head the Sea Hornet's takeoff distance, but by way of very rough comparison, the Mosquito's was over 2400' in still air. Even factoring in better HP/W, and a headwind plus forward carrier speed, I highly doubt it could cut that takeoff distance to an eighth ...

As to his questions .... Cees,

1) what carrier are you trying to land on?
    2) what does your aircraft.cfg have by way of launch assist and tailhook entries?

Here's mine, and they work fine on both the Flying Stations Victorious '45 and Lazarus' HMS Ocean conversion:

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length= 4.000 //(feet)
    tailhook_position= -26.800, 0.000, 0.000 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
    cable_force_adjust= 2.0 //cable_force_adjust = 2

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 5.0, 0.0, -2.22 //launch_bar_pivot = 5.41,0.00,-2.0
    launch_bar_lug = 9.923, 0.0, -7.52 //launch_bar_lug = 11.583333,0.00,-7.50

Hope that helps,

dl

Hi dl,

I tried to land it on the Nimitz. And these are the entries in the cfg.

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length= 4.000 ;(feet)
    tailhook_position= -26.800, 0.000, 0.000 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
    cable_force_adjust=2.0//cable_force_adjust = 2

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 5.0, 0.0, -2.22//launch_bar_pivot = 5.41,0.00,-2.0
    launch_bar_lug = 9.923, 0.0, -7.52//launch_bar_lug = 11.583333,0.00,-7.50

So these are the same as yours.........

Cees

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Why don't you try taking off without the help of the catapult and then see if the hook works during landing, just to be sure? The Nimitz catapults might be way too powerful for the Sea Hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Why don't you try taking off without the help of the catapult and then see if the hook works during landing, just to be sure? The Nimitz catapults might be way too powerful for the Sea Hornet.
    In FSX all catapults are equal, however from memory there is a setting in FSX.cfg that makes the catapults adaptive to the mass being launched rather than just jet fighters. Why it was set at that by default I have no idea.

From FSX Developer

fsx.CFG

In the [Realism] section.
    Add/edit to enable -

• CatapultForceLimiter=1 - Only fighter type aircraft can be catapulted.
    • CatapultForceLimiter=0 - Enables the catapult systems to generate the required force for any type of aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Well, the Hornet did have a catapult provision as it seems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Hornet

Cees
    Right enough: Leahy on the Sea Hornet says they had US-style 3-point catapult fittings. Lovely aircraft!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7