~ Spotlight on our MOTW # 10: Gramps ~

Thread: ~ Spotlight on our MOTW # 10: Gramps ~

~ Spotlight on our MOTW # 10: Gramps ~

Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

I'm a volunteer fire fighter\first responder. That keeps me fairly busy most of the time.
    I've got a wife and 2 girls, who I am very proud of.
    I used to be into hunting and fishing alot, but haven't done either one since my dad passed away. We always went together, and it just isn't the same anymore.
    I've got an old 1969 Dodge charger that I'm SLOWLY trying to restore. It's a slow an expensive project.

How long have you been a flight simmer and what attracted you to it in the first place?

Since around 1992 or 1993 I think. A buddy of mine had a computer ( There wasn't alot of them around back then ) an had bought the game Aces of the Pacific by Dynamix. It was very crude by todays standard, but man, back then it was something else!
    I was hooked from the first time I tried it. Went out an bought my first PC just to play that game. Played it for a couple years, then kinda got out of simming for awhile. Then MS came out with CFS2 and I was hooked all over again.
    As to what attracted me to it, I had been a WWII fanatic (mainly the pacific theater) for a long time. I had a science teacher in the 7th grade that let me read one of his books on WWII. It had been signed by a Japanese ace. I was hooked and started reading every book in the school library on WWII.

Do you have any animal companions? If so, please describe them or say what you want about them.

Yep, got my buddy Duke. He's my 4 yr. old boxer, an he's one of the more rare ones, he's solid white except for one ear. LOL! I pretty much spoil him! The wife and kids say I like him better than I do them, and I guess sometimes I do! LOL! I'm not sure he knows he's a dog, he thinks he's a human, an I'm not gonna tell em any different.

If someone was to give you one gift, money is no object, what would you want to receive?

Man, that's a tough one! There are lot of things I'd like to have I guess, but I'll try and keep it flight related. So I would choose a fully restored F4U-1 Corsair. Don't know what I'd do with it, but that's my all time favorite plane.

What are you most proud of?

My wife and kids.

If you could be a cartoon character, who would you want to be? Why?

Scooby-Doo!! LOL! And I don't know why....

If you had to pick one place in your town to bring a tourist, where would you go?

Hmmm, there's not a lot to show in this little one horse town I live in now.(pop. 1300), but my home town ( about 5 miles from here) is a historic town. It's one of the oldest towns on the Miss. river and even has an earthquake zone named after it! The New Madrid fault is one of the biggest faults in the country, they say even bigger than the ones in California, just not as active. I've read stories that when the 1811-12 earthquake happened, that it rang the Liberty bell in Philadelphia. It's also a Civil War town.
    But, to answer the question, I guess I'd have to show them some of the Civil War homes that are here. Not much else around unless they want to see cotton fields.

What are some of your family's traditions?

On the 4th of July, we always have a big cookout. All the family & friends come out an eat, and we usually have a softball game afterwards.

What is your greatest strength?

Dependability, plain and simple.

Who is the one person that helped to make you who you are today?

My dad, 'nuff said.

It is stated in the Doctrine according to the Chinese, a character created by Tom Robbins in his novel “Even Cowgirls get the Blues”, that there are three mental conditions one should strive for in one's existence: Amnesia, Euphoria, or Ecstasy. Amnesia is not knowing who one is and wanting desperately to find out . Euphoria is not knowing who one is and not caring. Ecstasy is knowing exactly who one is, but still not caring. Which of the three applies most to you? (This is the question that MOTW #9 wanted to be asked to the next MOTW).

Reckon I'm in Ecstasy.

What question do you want to be asked to the next MOTW?

If you could be any plane in the world, which one would you be, and why?

Gramps ...... Did I understand that you were from Mississippi? If so, What part?
    Congratulations ..........
    :salute::salute:
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Retired SOH Administrator
    Nope, Missouri........................the bootheel
    Fireman's prayer

Give me the strength to save a life,Whatever be its age
    Help me to embrace a little child, Before it is too late
    Or save an older person from The horror of that fate
    Enable me to be alert and Hear the weakest shout
    And quickly and efficiently To put the fire out
    I want to fill my calling and To give the best in me
    To guard my every neighbor And protect their property
    And if according to your will I have to lose my life
    Please bless with your protecting hand My children and my wife.

Author unknown

redriver6
    If you had to pick one place in your town to bring a tourist, where would you go?

Hmmm, there's not a lot to show in this little one horse town I live in now.(pop. 1300), but my home town ( about 5 miles from here) is a historic town. It's one of the oldest towns on the Miss. river and even has an earthquake zone named after it! The New Madrid fault is one of the biggest faults in the country, they say even bigger than the ones in California, just not as active. I've read stories that when the 1811-12 earthquake happened, that it rang the Liberty bell in Philadelphia. It's also a Civil War town.
    But, to answer the question, I guess I'd have to show them some of the Civil War homes that are here. Not much else around unless they want to see cotton fields.
    well i want to see the Charger when i get there...and the CW stuff:ernae:

Gramps~ I have NO problem imagining you as Scooby Doo....and no, I won't tell you why...

Quote Originally Posted by redriver6 View Post
    well i want to see the Charger when i get there...and the CW stuff:ernae:
    Haven't done anything with the charger in a year or 2...........................either no money or no time,lol. Can't ever seem to get the 2 together.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9Gal View Post
    Gramps~ I have NO problem imagining you as Scooby Doo....and no, I won't tell you why...
    Awww, come on now C9G. I don't know why, so maybe you should go ahead an tell me
    Fireman's prayer

Author unknown

Blog Entries
    Nice answers Gramps. It is good to read your answers. Thanks for sharing with us.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

:ernae: best wishes!
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

the charger is one of the all-time coolest cars ever! i've had a 71, 72, and a 73.

SOH-CM-2024
    Howdy Gramps,

Read your dossier a day or so ago, but as usual, with the Tour de France going on and duties at home and for the 5K Run/Walk I am co-directing this weekend in Danville have kept me hopping. Not to mention the daily walks and/or bike rides I take, which average and hour to and hour and a half.

You most certainly pass my muster, you're a Rebel in a hot, humid state, who loves his family, and you have lived your life in Ecstasy. :d

Keep on keeping on with your '69 Dodge Charger. My good buddy Bruce Ashe, who lives outside Hendersonville, NC is just about done with his old 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible. He has owned it since it was new, bought it when I lived next door to him in Asheville, NC, when he managed a K-Mart there. He made a fortune in opening his own clothing shops in the 1980s in the Hendersonville, Spartenburg, and Greenville area, and maintained them for twenty years, until he just got tired of it and sold the chain, making more money. He's a broker now and does as well as he does in any of his other ventures, so he had the capital to give it a number one job. He did not hot rod it, but kept the restoration in as much the original condition as possible for a near 40 year old car.

Here's a photo of her from my last visit two months ago. She's a beauty. I never see this car that I do not reminisce about riding around in the Sumter, SC area with the top down under the light of a full moon with all that hanging moss, a happy sailor with Bruce and his soon to be wife Sharon. There are many memories in this y'arr car.

Caz

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i have always had high regards for Gramps
    a great Gentleman
    and a good friend
    thanks
    H:ernae:
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Happiness Consultant
    Congrats. :salute:
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Nice One! One of the (pardon my saying) ol' timers here.

Thanks for all the contributions Gramps! Have made it a great place to be here and fly FDG!!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Hey Gramps.....

Thanks for sharing, man!

Good to know more of you and others.....

This is a good one C9G!

:ernae:

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Gramps, you're one of my home boys! I was born and raised (and lived until I was 25) down-river in Memphis. I know what you mean about there being nothing but cotton fields all around... :salute:

Good interview. Thanks for letting us know a bit more about you!

:ernae: Thanks yall :ernae:

Yeah, I could show ALOT of cotton fields, LOL.Not much else around
    Not much of a car fan, always been more into trucks (4x4's), but the 69 charger and the 69 mustang fastback are two that I'd about shoot someone over,LOL.

Maybe one of these days I'll have mine up an runnin!!
    Fireman's prayer

Author unknown

Go Gramps! :ernae: