EE Lightning? - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: EE Lightning?

Quote Originally Posted by jetwelder View Post
    there is some question, regards non fsx native aircraft and dds versus bmp....converting bmp to dds may not be the best solution....the argument is that non native fsx models ported from fs9...look for bmp before they default to dds.....that converting to dds would also require, a model hack, for fs9 portovers....

whats the consensus of opinion......ps, thanks for all your fine efforts....its much appreciated......jim
    When you think that the 'so-called' bitmaps in the texture folder are really dds files anyway with a .bmp extension - and containing mipmaps, I can't believe they'd be slower to load. After converting all the textures I certainly noticed improved load speed just in the selection window. With bitmaps, after selecting the model, the model would pop into the window and just sit a while until it was textured, after dds'ing the model came straight up. I do have an old computer (20fps max) so it may be that with the 16 core nitrogen cooled 1kW power supplied models of today, no-one notices a speed improvement.

My 2-cents worth anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    I am dutifully installing all these changes in my Lightnings. Quick question: I was using the F3v2 air file in all the variations approved, but subsequently I have the Lightning_FSX.air file (which can be used in all versions). Have we adopted the Lightning_FSX.air as the "standard" .air file - or is it a matter of preference? Thanks for all the excellent work, Bill
    The main difference between marks is the engine thrust and all up weight(I know there are others relating to tailfin area and reheat nozzles) but these can be set in the aircraft.cfg file to overwrite the airfile data.
    The major problem with moving FS9 air files to FSX is that some parameter scaling has changed. As far as I'm aware Henk only changed these. (Henk, where are you?) You can do the changes yourself on the original. I seem to remember 15?n and 15?n+1 for min thrust setting and 430 for Cd, I'm sure it's back there in the thread.

The bottom line (unless you want a perfect model) is;
    Can you do M2.05?
    Can you cruise at FL500? (i.e. N2 below 90% - no reheat!)
    Can you zoom climb to FL750?

Can do? - No problemo!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Keane View Post
    The main difference between marks is the engine thrust and all up weight(I know there are others relating to tailfin area and reheat nozzles) but these can be set in the aircraft.cfg file to overwrite the airfile data.
    The major problem with moving FS9 air files to FSX is that some parameter scaling has changed. As far as I'm aware Henk only changed these. (Henk, where are you?) You can do the changes yourself on the original. I seem to remember 15?n and 15?n+1 for min thrust setting and 430 for Cd, I'm sure it's back there in the thread.

The bottom line (unless you want a perfect model) is;
    Can you do M2.05?
    Can you cruise at FL500? (i.e. N2 below 90% - no reheat!)
    Can you zoom climb to FL750?

Can do? - No problemo!
    Actually there is a bit more to it:
    - 1503/1504: Idle RPM increased to 32% (was 20%, causing unwanted engine stops)
    - 430: Fixed curves in order to reach mach 2 at 36000 ft (old curves limited to mach 1.5)
    - 1524: Fixed curves in order to reach mach 2 at 36000 ft
    - 1101-1Ch Basic Weight: To zero (redundant in FS9, FSX)
    - Removed obsolete pre FS9 tables which used to make the difference between the various versions but those parameters are all moved to the aircraft.cfg file with FS9/FSX (e.g. fuel capacity)

Attached the latest version: Attachment 35095

ta very much

When you think that the 'so-called' bitmaps in the texture folder are really dds files anyway with a .bmp extension - and containing mipmaps, I can't believe they'd be slower to load. After converting all the textures I certainly noticed improved load speed just in the selection window. With bitmaps, after selecting the model, the model would pop into the window and just sit a while until it was textured, after dds'ing the model came straight up. I do have an old computer (20fps max) so it may be that with the 16 core nitrogen cooled 1kW power supplied models of today, no-one notices a speed improvement.

My 2-cents worth anyway.
    thanks for the observations....i havent got round to doing this yet...busy modelling the lovel observatory, and radio telescope...i should have tested it myself..ime mad about lightnings...building an f6 for fsx...one year so far...but too busy with too much...so the virtavia download is great....and all you people doing the hard work for me.....thanks...

running a cray supercomputer with a quantum sub system cooled by liquid methane...still cant get all the settings on max....jim

I just uploaded the 1st FSX portover kit to the Library:

E.E. Lighting FSX portover kit: Pack 1
    <TABLE class=ldm_table_fullwidth><TBODY><TR><TD width=250 align=right>

</TD><TD class="ldm_description ldm_spacer" vAlign=center align=left>This is an upgrade kit to make the FS9 Alphasim/Virtavia EE Lightning pack1 (with the F.1, F.1A and F.2 models) FSX Acceleration ready.

For more info see the EE Lightning? thread here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9-EE-Lightning

Category FSX British Aircraft

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The 2nd one will be uploaded by Chris Keane shortly.

Thanks very much for this portover Chris and Henk. :salute:
    Looks great after modding the model files and it flies great, nice FDE . And I have to say that after I converted all the bmps into DDS DXT5, the loading goes quicker.
    Just a small question. Unfortunately I didn't get the original pack 2 and 3 (just the pack 1) with the extra gauges, so I am wondering if the EElightning3.cab is available as freeware. Otherwise I may have to use default FSX gauges to fill in the gaps.:mixedsmi:
    But all in all I am impressed with the results and the camera positions are great.
    BTW: Does anyone have thumbnails for the original textures for me?
    See ya, Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sknepper View Post
    Thanks very much for this portover Chris and Henk. :salute:
    Looks great after modding the model files and it flies great, nice FDE . And I have to say that after I converted all the bmps into DDS DXT5, the loading goes quicker.
    Just a small question. Unfortunately I didn't get the original pack 2 and 3 (just the pack 1) with the extra gauges, so I am wondering if the EElightning3.cab is available as freeware. Otherwise I may have to use default FSX gauges to fill in the gaps.:mixedsmi:
    But all in all I am impressed with the results and the camera positions are great.
    BTW: Does anyone have thumbnails for the original textures for me?
    See ya, Sean
    Sean, we agreed with Paul not to share the original payware MDL and CAB files, I guess you could also consider to buy the Virtavia EE Lightings package, all 3 former Alphasim packs are included, PC Aviator is selling it for $24,95.

Here are some thumbnails for the older texture sets: Attachment 35181

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Sean, we agreed with Paul not to share the original payware MDL and CAB files, I guess you could also consider to buy the Virtavia EE Lightings package, all 3 former Alphasim packs are included, PC Aviator is selling it for $24,95.

Yes, I agree. Sorry Sean, but the FS9 Lightning is still 'officially' payware. Having said that, I am really happy with the excellent work that has been done here in converting the Lightning for FSX, and for the 'new bits' that have been released here in this thread.

Cheers

Paul

Many thanks for the thumbnails Henk, I did buy the Pack 1 long ago, but now I bought the new Virtavia set. So I'm very happy and will do all your patches for FSX again. Lovely to fly this bird again, and in FSX

Had to share this shot while flying over the Neterlands.
    And I now have all 3 packs and applyed the fixes to pack 1 & 2.
    Made a simple batch converter for the imagetool for converting the BMPs to DDS (DXT5) files. Anybody want it? Ask me in a PM.

Many thanks for the thumbnails Henk, I did buy the Pack 1 long ago, but now I bought the new Virtavia set. So I'm very happy and will do all your patches for FSX again. Lovely to fly this bird again, and in FSX

Made a simple batch converter for the imagetool for converting the BMPs to DDS (DXT5) files. Anybody want it? Ask me in a PM.
    Nice screenshot .

And, well done to Henk and Chris for their very considerable efforts.

Cheers

Paul

Dankjewel Sean, thank you Paul for the positive feedback:ernae:.

Sofar nobody caught me on a little omission in the pack 1 kit: There are a couple of updated VC textures in the texture.sharedF1 folder which you have to copy into the original texture set folders because these are not using FSX aliasing:

VCgunsight.dds
    VCpanel4.dds

Also make sure you delete the original BMP versions.

Just out of interest...................

Did you guys (Henk and Chris) give up on releasing an update pack for the two seater in the end?

(BTW, I fully understand the mdl issues - re the T5 etc - mentioned by you in this thread. Sorry about that, but they were FS9 releases and you have really suprised/impressed me with the FSX portovers)

cheers

Paul

I've just had a quick look. I've never flown the T-Birds before. I see nothing that can't be fixed except for the gunsight problem.
    What do you think Henk? There's two of us and a T4 and a T5 need doing. You up for it? :mixedsmi:

I've just had a quick look. I've never flown the T-Birds before. I see nothing that can't be fixed except for the gunsight problem.
    What do you think Henk? There's two of us and a T4 and a T5 need doing. You up for it? :mixedsmi:
    Did not fly them much myself either... I think we will have to compromise on the gunsight by moving the viewpoint to the right hand seat (which was where the instructor used to sit I guess). Trying to land from the left seat is a pita, the black gunsight blocks your view on the runway. I already did some fixing on the T.4/T.5 shine through/mirror effects of the panel bitmaps, I could finish those I guess. I also have a fix for the embedded nav/strobe lights which show as blocks when switched on.

Did not fly them much myself either... I think we will have to compromise on the gunsight by moving the viewpoint to the right hand seat (which was where the instructor used to sit I guess). Trying to land from the left seat is a pita, the black gunsight blocks your view on the runway. I already did some fixing on the T.4/T.5 shine through/mirror effects of the panel bitmaps, I could finish those I guess. I also have a fix for the embedded nav/strobe lights which show as blocks when switched on.
    Ok, I'll concentrate on the cab files then. If I see any panel that needs looking at, I'll call you first

Here are the changes for the T5. The engine start is as normal, but the panels don't match the switches for the fuel pumps and valves. Remember, left to right, pump first then valve open at 20% N2. Check the tooltips if you're not sure. I'll get on with the panels shortly.

Updated - see below...

As for the gunsight problem - it's not any longer;

Attachment 35354

Check the panel.cfg out, the interesting bit is [Vcockpit12].

Ok. here's the panel;

Attachment 35358

Have the tool already, thanks. Use it daily.
    Just wanted to say that's beautiful shot.
    :ernae:

Here are the changes for the T5. The engine start is as normal, but the panels don't match the switches for the fuel pumps and valves. Remember, left to right, pump first then valve open at 20% N2. Check the tooltips if you're not sure. I'll get on with the panels shortly.

As for the gunsight problem - it's not any longer;

Attachment 35354

Check the panel.cfg out, the interesting bit is [Vcockpit12].
    Chris, you are brilliant, I have spent so much time trying to solve this looking in the wrong direction! I am really happy you figured out it is just a missing Vcockpit section LOL
    I just tried the same trick on the T.4 and it works too - simply add this to the panel.cfg

[Vcockpit18]
    file=VCplane18.bmp
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=256,256
    visible=0
    pixel_size=256,256
    texture=$VCplane18

and add the VCplane18.bmp file into the panel folder (which is a copy of the T.5 VCplane12.bmp that Chris posted)

... and add the VCplane18.bmp file into the panel folder (which is a copy of the T.5 VCplane12.bmp that Chris posted)
    Not as smart as you think - you don't need to copy the bitmap over - it's already there. I'd been screwing around with it, painting it green, putting red crosses on, all sorts of things just to prove that the problem was in that area. When I eventually realised it needed an alpha channel I wasn't aware that before I'd beaten it to death in photoshop, it *already* had an alpha channel. VCplane18.bmp in the T4 panel folder is fine, open it up in Aces Image tool and there it is - Alpha=Colorkey.

I think I've messed up with the starting sequence, I've got it back to front. I need to give it some more thought. You can still get caught out loading another aircraft, making the changes and reloading the aircraft you're working on. Sometimes the changes are not loaded - damn those caches.

Updated from above...

Attachment 35370

I'm happier with the start sequence now and the tooltips.

(You might want to update the Engn_Fuel & Engn_FuelCutoff xml files to your EELightning(2) CAB files as well - not a problem though, it's only the tooltips are 'more' correct.)

Here are the T4 changes - the cab file is the same as the T5.

Attachment 35373

Back in post 166 I said I wasn't happy about the CDi/GSi valid lamps, I now know what the problem is. There's no selector for NAV1, the model thinks it's tracking the GPS.
    Whilst I was fixing that I thought that blank hole in the panel could use some numbers to fill it in, so now you've got a DME readout.
    I know it's not the best fix, the Lightning *never* had GPS fitted but unless someone knows how to force GPS_DRIVES_NAV1 off on loading the aircraft it's the best I can think of.
    This is for the F2A/F3/F6 ...

Attachment 35707

Updated from above...

Attachment 35370

I'm happier with the start sequence now and the tooltips.

(You might want to update the Engn_Fuel & Engn_FuelCutoff xml files to your EELightning(2) CAB files as well - not a problem though, it's only the tooltips are 'more' correct.)

Here are the T4 changes - the cab file is the same as the T5.

Attachment 35373
    Hi there, great work on these.

But what do I do with the CAB folder containing XML & BMPs in the T5 zip? Do I just drop the files in the Gauges folder, will they be given priority over identical files within the packed CAB file?

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenL View Post
    ...But what do I do with the CAB folder containing XML & BMPs in the T5 zip? Do I just drop the files in the Gauges folder, will they be given priority over identical files within the packed CAB file?
    You can do that but you'll need to de-reference the EELightning(3) in your config file, i.e. instead of (for example);

gauge05=EELightning(3)!Eng1_FuelCutoff, 114,135,47,47 // Pump 1

use;

gauge05=Eng1_FuelCutoff, 114,135,47,47 // Pump 1

It would be better to put them in a subfolder under panels, say "EE_Additions" and use;

gauge05=EE_Additions!Eng1_FuelCutoff, 114,135,47,47 // Pump 1

Best would be to add them to the EELightning(3) CAB file but I assume that you don't have cabdir.exe

You can get it from here;

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/dow...?do=file&id=30

If you've never used it before just follow these simple steps.

1. Create an empty folder called EELightning(3)
    2. Unzip EELightning(3).CAB to that folder with winzip (if you have winzip installed you should just need to double click the cab file)
    3. Add the new/updated bitmaps & xml files to the folder.
    4. Drop the folder onto cabdir.exe
    5. Copy the newly created EELightning(3).CAB file into the panel folders of T4/T5 ... and whatever other models you have that use it.

Thanks for that Chris, all sorted now