EE Lightning? - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: EE Lightning?

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Chris: Thank you for fixing the Nav/Strobe lights switch :salute: Not sure what the other 2 do but I installed them anyway.

I notice CavOk is using the pack 1 F1 or F2 panel, they use EELightning.cab which should be OK for FSX plus a bunch of older *.GAU files which will not all work.
    hschuit: AWP lamp test switch, next to the AWP mode switch (night/day); and the fuel gauge test switch down right below the fuel gauges.
    Both of these are F3/F6 only.

CavOk: Glad to see you're almost there ... you have transformed all the texture bitmaps to dds haven't you? There are a few more tweaks no-one has mentioned yet. I've been playing with this for a week and I can't remember everything I've done. One thing you can do is go through your Panel.cfg file and zero all the negative numbers.

I went looking for a nice bare metal paint, found this gem made by Jens-Ole Kjølberg. BAC displayed one of the soon to be delivered Kuwaiti Air Force F.53's on the Paris Air Show in 1969.

There are several of these, also Saudi ones - go to Flightsim - advanced search here :

http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=ASEARCH

then in "all these words" type lightning jens ole

What do you think I've been testing the mods in?
    Attachment 33269

Got it when I bought the original AlphaSim packages.
    I'll certainly try those other paints, thanks.

Do you get those extra wingtip contrails outside the normal contrails?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Keane View Post
    What do you think I've been testing the mods in?
    Attachment 33269

Got it when I bought the original AlphaSim packages.
    I'll certainly try those other paints, thanks.

Do you get those extra wingtip contrails outside the normal contrails?
    Chris, there is a fix for the "ghost" contrails. They are caused by FSX which by default draws wingtip vortices when pulling G's. To position those vortices, FSX calculates their position from the [airplane_geometry] section wing span and apex. In case of the Lightning aircraft.cfg these values are wrong:

[airplane_geometry]
    wing_span = 62
    wing_pos_apex_lon = 1.84677419354839
    wing_pos_apex_vert = 0

They should be:

wing_span = 34
    wing_pos_apex_lon = -6.0
    wing_pos_apex_vert = 2.3

And that is not all, there are already wingtip vortices in the [LIGHTS] section:

//---------------wingcontrails-------------------------------------------------
    light.7 = 7, -13.5,-16.5, 2.5, fx_contrail_Lightning , // Left Wingtip contrail
    light.8= 7, -13.5, 16.5, 2.5, fx_contrail_Lightning , // Right Wingtip contrail

This is the reason why you see 2 properly aligned vortices + 2 "ghost" ones. There are 3 options to get rid of the problem:

1. Do not pull G's, do not use spot view, stop drinking, smoking and having sex

2. Keep the original [LIGHTS] effect and block the default FSX effect by adding these lines in the [EFFECTS] section:

vaportrail_l= fx_dummy // blocks FSX wingtip vapor
    vaportrail_r= fx_dummy // blocks FSX wingtip vapor

3. Keep the default FSX effect and block the original [LIGHTS] effect by commenting out these lines:

//---------------wingcontrails-------------------------------------------------
    //light.7 = 7, -13.5,-16.5, 2.5, fx_contrail_Lightning , // Left Wingtip contrail
    //light.8= 7, -13.5, 16.5, 2.5, fx_contrail_Lightning , // Right Wingtip contrail

And of course fix the [airplane_geometry] section wing span and apex as explained above.

Great! Really Great

a big GRAZIE!!!!!!! for you.

:ernae::ernae:

That's great, thanks.
    I've left the wingtip vortices in the [LIGHTS] section where they are, looks good.
    In reference to 1., I must admit to never using spot view if I'm in a 737 or suchlike except for parking the nosewheel on the T, only with the Lightning do I use spot view (for doing snap rolls whilst coming in to land - masochist that I am)

The only outstanding problems I have now is the SWP panel texture (blank/reflective?), the ICE alarm on the AWP (Lamp Test doesn't work) and the night lighting of the AP panel.

Of course, 10,000 problems with the F1/F1A/F2 gauges. I don't think I'm even going to start. :-(

Ben Hartmann of UKMIL has also done 2 wonderful metal paints for 23 & 111 Sqn F3's:

http://www.ukmil.org.uk/DLA2/index.p...078fd&jump=131

If you are looking for repaints go to flightsim.com and do a file search.

Just search for - lightning paul

I did about eighteen.

Cheers

Paul

Nice paints, just downloaded them.
    One problem down - another one raises it's head.
    I'm off on a ferry run, EGLL to KJFK so I need overwing tanks. Where are they?
    Meanwhile the night flight to Kennedy went ok with the AP settings being visible. Download this and drop it in your textures subdirectory. If you're still with bitmaps you'll need to run it through Imagetool or your choice of converter. I've also tweaked the numbers a bit in the panel.cfg to increase the size of the numbers a little.
    Attachment 33312
    (For F3/F6 only - I'll do the F2A later).

gauge13=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Altitude Window, 92,320,150,38
    gauge14=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Heading Window, 15, 320 ,101,38
    gauge15=Boeing747-400!Autopilot IAS-Mach Window, 219,320,101,38

I'm still not happy with the clarity of the numbers. I will probably dig the bitmaps out of the 747 cab and polish them a little.

Problems with the [airplane_geometry] changes. The aircraft is unstable around the roll axis. You might not notice if you're throwing it around the sky but you try to hold straight and level flight it's difficult, even the AP can't hold it straight. Coming into land is a nightmare. I've gone with the fx_dummy fix, thanks again for that.

Paul, thank you for pointing out the paints - when I checked them out they looked familiar, and then I got it... You are one of the creators of these wonderful models, right? :salute::salute::salute:

Chris, why do you use that civvy 2D autopilot, the Lightning has the real one modelled in the right console of the VC
    I must admit though I never used it till you made me curious so I had to try it and it works as advertized. The only comment I have is that when you change the AP heading she banks cautiously and slow like an old lady but she gets there in the end.

Attachment 33361Attachment 33360Attachment 33362

Paul, thank you for pointing out the paints - when I checked them out they looked familiar, and then I got it... You are one of the creators of these wonderful models, right? :salute::salute::salute:

Yes, Dave H and I put it together some time ago. Gerry B did the airfile. It's great to see that there is still some interest in it!

Cheers

Paul

Paul theres Lots of interest in it, its such an iconic aircraft, just shows how much your model still gives us after all these years, and will continue too until a trully fsx native one is released at todays standard of quality!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Chris, why do you use that civvy 2D autopilot, the Lightning has the real one modelled in the right console of the VC
    I must admit though I never used it till you made me curious so I had to try it and it works as advertized. The only comment I have is that when you change the AP heading she banks cautiously and slow like an old lady but she gets there in the end.
    Uhhh .. what civvy 2D autopilot?
    Have you tried the new VCplane18 from a couple of posts ago? That was to fix the nightlighting...

Attachment 33364

Has anyone been able to fix this problem, I think its associated with the lights?

Attachment 33367

Also how did you edit the .cab file for the VC lights fix?
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Keane View Post
    Uhhh .. what civvy 2D autopilot?
    Have you tried the new VCplane18 from a couple of posts ago? That was to fix the nightlighting...

Attachment 33364

Oops... my mistake, I did not understand why you mentioned the Boeing747-400 gauges but now I see they are used in the VC autopilot panel file. I installed your fixed XML gauges and the VCplane18_L.dds and the nice night lighting works ! Took me some time to figure out which switch to use LOL.

SWP panel texture (blank/reflective?), it's on my list for this weekend.
    It also happens when the throttles pass below them, and on start, and on... annoying isn't it.

VClights fix? I use emacs but any text editor will do, as long as you don't mind using eXtremely Masochistic Language.

Oops... my mistake, I did not understand why you mentioned the Boeing747-400 gauges but now I see they are used in the VC autopilot panel file. I installed your fixed XML gauges and the VCplane18_L.dds and the nice night lighting works ! Took me some time to figure out which switch to use LOL.
    I've actually removed them and put them in the EELightning(2) cab file. It's just the way I've been brought up - even though I've got gigabytes of free disk space I hate to waste three and a half megs for the 747-400 gauge file when I only need three xml files and eight bitmaps totaling 20k.

I'm doing the F2A as we speak ...

Thanks for all your help Chris mate!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by peter12213 View Post
    Also how did you edit the .cab file for the VC lights fix?
    You can open a CAB file like a zip file using, as one example, winRAR. That will create a folder of all the individual bitmaps and xml files. You can then edit those. There was a whole thread on this subject a few months ago including how to put the CAB file back together (an option, not necessary for things to work).

Hope this helps.
    :ernae:

Hi Paul!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peter12213 View Post
    Paul theres Lots of interest in it, its such an iconic aircraft, just shows how much your model still gives us after all these years, and will continue too until a trully fsx native one is released at todays standard of quality!
    Thanks Pete

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post

Hi Paul!!!
    Hi Frank!

Finished the F2A AP night lighting;

Attachment 33412

I've enlarged the numbers a bit to;

gauge29=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Altitude Window, 49,455,72,18 // gauges enlarged 20%
    gauge30=Boeing747-400!Autopilot Heading Window, 5,455,54,18
    gauge31=Boeing747-400!Autopilot IAS-Mach Window, 111,455,54,18

Just to keep the thread going: F.Mk.1 XM144, 23 Sqn.

Great shot mate!
    Pete!

Support Help For Heroes!

Embarrassment...
    After twenty years I've rediscovered Elite (now Oolite) - the whole weekend lost. So much for looking at SWP texture problems.