EE Lightning? - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112

Thread: EE Lightning?

Thanks Henk.

Just playing around with it I notice it seems to lack that characteristic nose up (just a few degrees) in the approach. Still, a small price to pay

Quote Originally Posted by klem View Post
    Thanks Henk.

Just playing around with it I notice it seems to lack that characteristic nose up (just a few degrees) in the approach. Still, a small price to pay
    You are right, touchdown speed is too low. With 40% fuel left and Firestreaks loaded, it flares at ~135 kts and according to the manual that should be 165 kts. I did not change this in the FDE, it does the same thing in FS2004.

PS: A quick remedy is to change the flaps lift and pitch scalars like this:

[Flaps.0]
    type = 1
    span-outboard = 0.5
    extending-time = 5
    flaps-position.0 = 0
    flaps-position.1 = 45
    damaging-speed = 499
    blowout-speed = 542
    system_type = 1
    lift_scalar = 0.06 ;1.0
    drag_scalar = 1.0
    pitch_scalar = 1.75 ;1.0

The Lightning does not use flaps for take off so this will not mess up that part of your flight.

Thank Henk, very helpful.

We have the same problem with the museum simulator. In fact if we flare it floats down the runway so we tend to make a shallow approach and just 'put it down'.
    I was speaking to an ex-Lightning pilot and I asked him what speed they used to land at. He immediately said, and I quote, "175 knots, anything less was a hanging offence".

According to some reports I read the tail trim was almost fully 'back' with little left (including the stick I assume) so its not surprising they didn't take any chances.

Klem, thanks for sharing the real pilot's knowledge ! From what he says, I suppose you could even tweak the flaps a bit further down.

Trim Indicator

Am I reading the Trim indicator correctly?

When I trim the actual aircraft nose Up the trim needle moves down into the 'Nose Down' area.

Is it telling me that the nose is too low so I am correcting for Nose Down or is the needle moving the wrong way and is supposed to tell me the direction in which I have actually trimmed the nose ('Nose Up')?

I always assumed the latter, that it indicates the trimming I have set not what I need to correct.

I have edited the Trim_Indicator to do that. I also reversed the Rudder trim for similar reason. File's attached if anyone wants to see what I mean, it needs to go into all three the CAB files to replace the existing. The edit is a simple swapping of the 1 and -1 in the Item Value lines for elevator and rudder.

If I'm wrong let me know and I'll delete the post.

EDIT: is there a fix for the several panels that go semi-transparent from time to time? I couldn't find one in this thread.

Klem, you are right about the trim indicator, it was reversed indeed. Do you have a screenshot of the panels that go semi-transparent from time to time? I am also interested to know which model (pack 2 was generally OK and fixable but pack 1 and specially pack 3 MDLs had some nasty shine through & mirror issues which could not all be fixed).

Hi Henk, it seems to be the F3 and F6 panels. F1 and F2 panels look ok.

Actually they look more highly-reflective than see-through.

I've outlined them in red in the attached screenshots: the Port forward, the Starboard forward and Starboard side panels. The upper starboard forward panel (endurance indicator and voltmeter) doesn't really show up in the screenshots. The starboard side panel seems to be reflecting the sky.

Looks like they are probably the same image sources for F3 and F6.

OK, judging from your screenies it looks like you are missing some bitmaps which should live inside the panel folders, they are named VCplane1.bmp - VCplane22.bmp. Some of them are the original ones from the payware pack 2, others have been updated by Chris and/or myself and included in the pack 2 portover kit.

If you have fixed that and it still does not work you should also check your panel.cfg. The one we added to the portover kit has all the right references to these bitmaps like:

[Vcockpit02]
    file=VCplane2.bmp
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=1024,1024
    visible=0
    pixel_size=1024,1024
    texture=$VCplane2

BTW: These bitmaps have to be straight 24bit BMP, so DO NOT convert them to extended BMP or DDS format.

Thanks Henk,

I had made a standard FS9 installation and moved the files to FSX. Somehow I overlooked those files. All seems fine now.

When I trim the actual aircraft nose Up the trim needle moves down into the 'Nose Down' area.
    Nice catch, never noticed that.
    Regarding the updates;
    Unfortunately I have an entirely different system than anyone else. I have individual cab files for each model. I was thinking that one day I could go through all the panel.cfg files and make sure that all the different gauge files have different names (they don't at the moment) and make one common cab file. That would make life so much easier.

Speaking of updates, one I haven't uploaded yet is the functioning radar.
    Now you can chase planes around the sky ...
    Attachment 50811

Is that both xmls into the panel.F1/EELightning(E) and panel.F2/EELightning(E) folders for the single seater F1/F1A/F2.

But not for the T5/55?

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenL View Post
    Is that both xmls into the panel.F1/EELightning(E) and panel.F2/EELightning(E) folders for the single seater F1/F1A/F2.

But not for the T5/55?
    and presumably EELightning(2) for F3/F6?

and presumably EELightning(2) for F3/F6?
    Correct, just a straight replacement.

Does anything need to be added to the panel.cfg as I noticed I don't have a radar_1 line in the [Window00] section ?

I have these as the last listed.

gauge45=eelightning(E)!ILS, 721,670,61,61
    gauge46=EELightning(E)!EE_Radar_2, 713,307,143,152
    gauge47=EELightning(E)!EE_Radar_switch, 621,466,58,50

Does anything need to be added to the panel.cfg as I noticed I don't have a radar_1 line in the [Window00] section ?

This is the panel.cfg for either the F3 or the F6 (EE_Radar_2), however I have the size and position as;

gauge58=EELightning(F6)!EE_Radar_2, 715,294,152,151
    gauge59=EELightning(F6)!radar_switch, 709,533,30,30

But if this works for you, fine. That's the beauty of the system - tweak to suit. :mixedsmi:

Are you not seeing the display?

It seems EE_Radar_2.xml goes into the EELightning(E) subfolders for F1_F1A_F2 panel folders Panel.F1 and Panel.F2 while both go into the EE_Lightning(2).Cab accessed by F2A, F3 and F6

On another project and I discovered Doug Dawson's event logger. After trying it out I find much embarrasssment. For those using the Eng_Effects you may have noticed serious event flooding.
    Try this one;

Problem with the installation

I installed the F1 fsx update zip as per Readme. When I select the plane in fsx, I get the error that the model cannot be displayed visually and the sim crashes....

I tried to change the MDL as per the Readme and even looked at Obio's MDLMat tutorial and I could not do it.
    My Original fs9 texture folders, including those of 74 sqn, as in the a/c folder.
    I run Win 7.

Can you tell me what could be wrong?

I also see you have a screenshot of 3 Lightnings flying in formation. How can one get any airplane to fly in formation in fsx? Is there a program to do that?

Also, I clicked on the various attachment links throught the pages of this post and I get an invalid link message. Why is that?

Nick