EE Lightning? - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: EE Lightning?

All Kuwaiti and Saudi Arabian Lightning F.52, F.53, T.54 and T.55 repaints (total 9 paints) have now been uploaded, enjoy!

Henk Schuitemaker has been of great help with both testing and coming with information/feedback during the making of the Lightning repaints, thank you!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Blog Entries
    As always, top-notch work, Jens - many thanks!!

dl

I'm guessing the only way to get a Lightning is to buy the AlphaSim one?
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

Yes I think so if you want a detailed Lightning (You actually get the entire family of Lightnings!).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    I have never used a portover plane in FSX, but with all the mods from the talented people here at the forum these Lightning models have become good performers in FSX. And you can probably see my enthusiasm from all the repaints <o></o>

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Hi JensOle

Those textures look great! Well done!

Lateral-G

Yes, to answer your question, the Alphasim (now Virtavia) Lightning is still payware.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul!
    I got one more T.55 coming...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    The former RSAF ”55-711” as ZF597 with full British roundels, as it looked during “Operation Dhonanyi”, the return flight from Saudi to the UK in early 1988 done by BAe with pilot and Victor tanker support from RAF Strike Command.

Kind of a cool scheme with the polished areas where the RSAF decals used to be.
    <o></o>
    Attachment 38962 Attachment 38963

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral-G View Post
    I'm guessing the only way to get a Lightning is to buy the AlphaSim one?
    If you're running FS9 or FSX the Alphasim version is still the only game in town.

Nice textures Jens-Ole!
    :ernae:

I can't believe I asked a simple question last July and here we are almost a year later and 18 pages into it. Kinda cool. Especially where people have taken it.

Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    I can't believe I asked a simple question last July and here we are almost a year later and 18 pages into it. Kinda cool. Especially where people have taken it.
    D'ya think you could ask a question about a CT114, see what that generates. lol
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Just want to leave a small note to say thank you so much!
    My dad's been nagging me since we upgraded him to FSX to get the old lightning up and running and thanks to you guys she's flying again.

Since my Dad retired in '94 he's been working hard as a volunteer at the Dumfries and Galloway aviation museum (http://www.dumfriesaviationmuseum.com/) re -painting and repairing old planes for display and preparing exhibits.

A weird coincidence occurred when I downloaded the re-paint of the lightning from this thread (post 57) when dad saw it he was dumb struck, I asked what I'd done and he said they'd just finished re-painting the museum's Lightning the same colours!

Again great big thank you, dads chuffed to bits.

Dave

If I manage to get this right 2 pictures should appear below of the very plane, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    D'ya think you could ask a question about a CT114, see what that generates. lol
    Haha! If only it worked. I've been begging for an FSX Boeing 314 for years to no avail.

Although I do recall seeing a CT114 a while back. Of course, that might have been FS9 and five years ago. Try looking at Simviation. I seem to recall one there.

And as Dave reminded us to do- Thank you very much to Alphasim/Virtavia and all the people that have contributed to overhauling the classic Lightning and bringing it into FSX.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Thanks Paul!
    I got one more T.55 coming...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    The former RSAF ”55-711” as ZF597 with full British roundels, as it looked during “Operation Dhonanyi”, the return flight from Saudi to the UK in early 1988 done by BAe with pilot and Victor tanker support from RAF Strike Command.

Kind of a cool scheme with the polished areas where the RSAF decals used to be.
    <o></o>

Awesome Jens! I'll sign up for that one for sure when it comes out. Very good looking T.55.

Regarding the Tutor, the FS8/FS9 version out there is done by our own Zoren from SOH - a very fine modeller and good friend. He was reworking his model into FSX a while back, but life has gotten in the way. He is a hardcore fan of Canadian-designed and made aircraft, and at one point started on an Avro C102 Jetliner. Again - maybe when things calm down.

Anyway, thanks to all the "FSX Lightning Resurrection" team - great work!!

dl

Quote Originally Posted by Daviekhan View Post

Dave
    Isn't it great when this hobby of ours touches someones life in a real way.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Not sure what happened, but I can't get the F.1 models to show. I converted the .mdl file as per instructions with a no-show. Any ideas?

There *are* no instructions for converting any F1 .mdl files.

I've tried to convert these files too, but the model doesn't display.

Sorry usafvet, I was thinking of the F2A/F3/F6, yes of course you need to edit the F1, F1A and F1_TFF.
    Even if you completely screw up the instructions, the worst that will happen is you will have odd colours around the aircraft. If the model doesn't display, then either you've deleted or moved the .mdl file. If you have you shouldn't even see the selection when you 'choose aircraft'.
    You do have a backup file to try again don't you?

Lightning(2) CAB question

Hi guys,

first many thanks for this FSX conversion. I have been working on an FSX Lightning for almost a year - well I stopped about 5 months ago, couldn't find the time to create a model for FSX (I'm just a newb at that).

I am confused over the Lightning(2).cab. I have the original for FS9 in place but I don't know if I should be merging the contents of the "EELightning(2) CAB Files" folder or the "EELightning(2) CAB Files.CAB", both of which are in the EELightningsPack2Distr folder and have slightly different contents.

I've searched the Thread for this but I can't find anything.

Hope you can help.

Quote Originally Posted by klem View Post
    Hi guys,

first many thanks for this FSX conversion. I have been working on an FSX Lightning for almost a year - well I stopped about 5 months ago, couldn't find the time to create a model for FSX (I'm just a newb at that).

I am confused over the Lightning(2).cab. I have the original for FS9 in place but I don't know if I should be merging the contents of the "EELightning(2) CAB Files" folder or the "EELightning(2) CAB Files.CAB", both of which are in the EELightningsPack2Distr folder and have slightly different contents.

I've searched the Thread for this but I can't find anything.

Hope you can help.
    Klem, first, you have to unzip the original Lightning(2).cab to a folder called Lightning(2). Then copy the new from EELightningsPack2Distr.zip - EELightning(2) CAB Files into that folder, overwrite the old files.

From there you have 2 options:

1. Put the updated Lightning(2) folder into the FSX\Gauges folder. Make sure to remove or block out the original cab file.

2. Use Cabdir.exe to compile an updated Lightning(2).cab file and replace the old version with this one.

BTW: Unzipping CAB files can be done with WinRAR or Cabdir.exe. And: I just checked and there is no such thing as a "EELightning(2) CAB Files.CAB" file in the portover package.

Thanks very much.

I just checked my zip file and you are right. Somehow I have made another Cab file which includes the original CAB contents plus seven "AP_Rolling_Numbers_......." bitmaps in it. Must have jumped the gun and made a wrong turn at the same time ! :redf:

klem

Did anyone else buying the Virtavia set (download) not get the T5 (only the T5 Civil) ?

Have the various mods like T4_Changes, AvionicsUpgrade etc been incorporated into the main downloads at posts 180 and 181 or do I still need to add them?

I downloaded the main portovers on 25th August 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Daviekhan View Post
    Just want to leave a small note to say thank you so much!
    My dad's been nagging me since we upgraded him to FSX to get the old lightning up and running and thanks to you guys she's flying again.

Since my Dad retired in '94 he's been working hard as a volunteer at the Dumfries and Galloway aviation museum (http://www.dumfriesaviationmuseum.com/) re -painting and repairing old planes for display and preparing exhibits.

A weird coincidence occurred when I downloaded the re-paint of the lightning from this thread (post 57) when dad saw it he was dumb struck, I asked what I'd done and he said they'd just finished re-painting the museum's Lightning the same colours!

Dave

If I manage to get this right 2 pictures should appear below of the very plane, enjoy
    First of all let me apologise for hogging the thread but I'm only just catching up.

I work as a volunteer at the Tangmere Aviation Museum at the old Tangmere airfield just south of Chichester, West Sussex. It was our fully restored Lightning F6 (restored from a Saudi F53) and our Lightning cockpit simulator (an ex-cockpit procedures trainer running FS2004/Alphasim Lightning with graphics projector) that fired my enthusiasm for the Lightning. Had a number of ex-Lightning pilots in the sim and they always go away with a smile on their faces. So if anyone of you is ever visiting us drop me a note here or in a PM.

I'm hoping for answers to my previous posts although I think I've worked out that the mods aren't incorporated into the main downloads.

Afraid I have another question. When I look outof the VC I don't see wings, fuselage etc so I imagine the FS9 .mdl was only updated with a VC and not the whole deal. If not, any idea what I am doing wrong?

Already hugely impressed with the FSX conversion. Approaching touchdown at around 180 knots gives a much better impression of speed than even the museum sim.

Quote Originally Posted by klem View Post
    ... I'm hoping for answers to my previous posts although I think I've worked out that the mods aren't incorporated into the main downloads.

Afraid I have another question. When I look outof the VC I don't see wings, fuselage etc so I imagine the FS9 .mdl was only updated with a VC and not the whole deal. If not, any idea what I am doing wrong? ...
    Klem, 2 quick answers:

1) Chris and me did not update portover packs 1 & 2 after we uploaded them, so anything done afterwards for pack 3 is not retrofitted to the 1st 2 packs.

2) The MDL's are the original FS9 ones, even if we knew how to recompile them into a native FSX exterior MDL with a separate interior MDL, we could not have done this because of copyright reasons.

cheers, Henk.