Fs9 won't run anymore
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fs9 won't run anymore

Fs9 won't run anymore

Hi FS9 ran fine until about an hour ago,now when I click on the EXE it shows the splash screen for 3 seconds ,and quits.I tried resetting the defaults,and using the safe mode,any suggestions thanks.

Have you try'd using the exe in your FS2004 folder rather than the one on your desk top,
    just a thought, cheers ian

The first thing I do when I have a program that suddenly goes belly up is to reboot my system. This allows the memory to clear out and has been the solution in most cases of SGBU (suddenly goes belly up).

As Ian suggested, go to your FS9 program folder and try starting the program by double clicking the FS9.exe file. Sometimes a desk top short cut icon thingie can go wonkie for unknown reasons...also knows as WFUR.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Had a similar problem

My problem was not quite the same as I had an error message on startup.I first followed OBIO's advice and deleted the config file in application data ,that didn't seem to work so I deleted the config file in the main FS( root folder and the message came back once then the program started and has been running normally since.( keep your fingers crossed) Funny thing is when I ran the program then went back to the FS9 root folder where the config file was it hadn't generated a new one so since I had just deleted it, I restored it and all is running ok so far.
    Just thought I'd through in my two cents worth

I have tried all of the above and,still no dice, thanks.Help! hurricane3 wheres the Config file in the main fs9 root folder? I could'nt find it.

You won't find the fs9.cfg file in the FS9 root folder, it's in your main drive's Application Data folder. If your main drive is C: and you're running XP the path should be:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9\fs9.cfg

Anyone here can also offer a full fs9.cfg you can copy and paste over in notepad as long as you have a default aircraft to use, but I gather deleting the cfg you have in the above location failed to generate a new one.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Thats weird

Thats strange,when I opened up the FS9 root folder the was a folder marked config, honest there was,it was the one I put back, I'am gonna look again and see if it's there.

yep I got one

Just checked and yep right between the Charts and Effects files top row is a folder marked Config ,I opened it and it's mostly HTML files,beats me what it's for,maybe some addon I installed years ago? I wouldn't lie about a thing like this ,honest

If all of the above did not fix anything I would suggest the Restore function available in Windows and pick a date a few days ago when things were still working.

If that also fails to produce a running simulator it is probably time to re-install.

But before you do that you can save some time by

1. renaming the original FS installation folder.... if it was C:\FS2004 for example rename it to C:\FS2004_BAD
    2. Then install from your original disks and install to C:\FS2004
    3. Once the install is complete run the sim at least once using the new installation.
    4. Shut down the sim and rename the new folder to C:\FS2004_new
    5. Rename the original folder back to C:\FS2004 and then try again....if it still fails to start something in that original folder got seriously disturbed.

Now you have 2 options .... rename the folders yet again and then rebuild the sim file by file....
    OR you can copy entire folders from the bad installation to the working one....
    For example take your entire Aircraft folder and copy it form one to the other.

After each folder copy restart the sim and see if it still works....and shut down again.

Good Luck
    Stefan

Not that this helps solve anything, but I started saving the default terrain.cfg, FS9.cfg and scenery.cfg to a back up for any troubles down the road. One or the other has saved my butt a time or two.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane3 View Post
    Just checked and yep right between the Charts and Effects files top row is a folder marked Config, I opened it and it's mostly HTML files,beats me what it's for,maybe some addon I installed years ago? I wouldn't lie about a thing like this, honest
    That Config folder (don't ask me what it does) is part of FS9, it's supposed to be there but it's not where the fs9.cfg file lives. There's probably some good technical reason why the .cfg file is in the Application Data folder, maybe to make the sim run more efficiently, I don't know. In CFS2 the .cfg is in the CFS2 root folder where you'd expect it to be.

I think it's located there so that on computers that are used by more than one person, and they all have their own log-ins (user "accounts"), each person can have their own FS9.cfg file with their own preferred settings. Which cfg file is used depends on which user is signed in on the computer.

but why?

But why when I deleted the config file in application data the error message was still there ,but when I deleted the file in the FS9 root file it came back once then went away.I also put the file back (in the root file) because when I checked it had not
    regenerated it'self, but then every thing was ok. Gee I love computers.

Still a no go,I think I will have reload FS9,what a pain in the but.

Could it be that you start FS9 with the previous flight option?

In this case it can be a corrupt flight-file, solution is then to delete the previous flight-file and restart FS9, will give a warning then but will load with default flight.

"My Documents" -> "Flight Simulator Files" -> delete/rename "Previous flight.FLT"

Marcel

I fell your pain

I fell your pain ,my friend have been there too many times,and I keep putting off getting an external hard drive, and rely on all my backup disks,(only about a hundred counting my other flight sims.) I'll be dead an gone before I would have everything back.
    Sorry I couldn't help you ,I tried.

mgr might be onto something

I wrote the last post before reading MGR's post and what he says could explane why after I deleted the config file in the applications data ,the message came back then FS9 started normally

Thank you all. I just copied all my old fs9 install,and tomorow I will reinstall it,wish me luck.:salute:

Best of luck

Best of luck let us know how things turn out.Do you have the files on another hard drive?This backup thing still has me confused.

Yes, I copied everything to my storage drive.

K no more questions

I won't bother you or ask any more questions till your up and running again.You have enough to worry about now.Good luck!

Thanks huricane3, you can ask all the questions you want,and I will try to answer them the best I can.

Icon5 When your back

When your back up an running again I have some questions about how to backup stuff,until then just keep working on getting everything back.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane3 View Post
    When your back up an running again I have some questions about how to backup stuff,until then just keep working on getting everything back.
    This "How to backup FS9 perfectly" by FengZ saved my bacon a while back. I copy and pasted the tutorial into a txt file so I have it as needed.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...highlight=feng
    Brent aka "dogknot"