Flight1 / Ultimate Terrain X / Ground Environment X / Flight Environment X (Promo)

Thread: Flight1 / Ultimate Terrain X / Ground Environment X / Flight Environment X (Promo)

Flight1 / Ultimate Terrain X / Ground Environment X / Flight Environment X (Promo)

Enjoy! Video by Xavier.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aB3djzHKdTE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aB3djzHKdTE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Excellent video. Still not clear to me the difference between UTX and GEX, or whether they're designed to work to as seperate entities or in tandem, but the result is certainly impressive.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

GEX replaces texture sets, so it is more so a texture package that significantly upgrades all textures for a given region (North America, etc). UTX adds and alters physical features such as lakes, roads, coastlines and significantly changes the land classes of all areas of a given region. Combined, these products supplement each other, but they are not required to be purchased together.

I have found that the UTX and GEX packages really improve visuals and representations of the real world in all areas that I do not have specific scenery packages for. It makes those trips cross country much more alive and easier to navigate visually in as often in default FSX there are large sparse areas between scenery packages. These packages will also fix the "desert" found throughout many parts of the U.S. that has plagued FSX. Another nice feature I have found is that the UTX and GEX packages have given the side benefit of improving performance in their associated regions due to the way they developed the land classes, textures and autogen calls. Your results may however vary.

On my computer, these packages have always been installed as priority whenever I rebuild, format or create a clean version of FSX. This is not just simple "salesman" rubbish, I'm speaking the honest truth. I have had to reactive my keys for these products multiple times over numerous builds!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or head over to the Flight1 forums.

Cheers for that Cody. I guess, given that I fly very low and slow, that UTX would probably be the better bet for starters.

ASWWIAH Member

Nice video concept but it shouldn't shift from one place to another so rapidly!

The halo effect at nigth is very much overdone. Is it artist's licence or the way GE-X looks ?
    Dominique
    Asus P4C800/3.0 Ghz @ 3.16-2 Gb PC3500 DDR-MSI 7800GS-Dell 19" LCD-CH USB pedals, yoke and HOTAS.
    Hab Mut, hatten wir durch.

The halo effect comes from UTX night lighting feature if you have the FSX bloom on. It can be tweaked/subdued nicely following Nick Needhams guide in which he includes some very useful tweaks for UTX features (scroll down to close to the bottom of page for UTX):

http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru...TID=29041&PN=1

Dimus is correct. That is FSX standard bloom, which is often overdone. It also tends to get worse or better depending on your particular zoom level.

Quote Originally Posted by Pips View Post
    Excellent video. Still not clear to me the difference between UTX and GEX, or whether they're designed to work to as seperate entities or in tandem, but the result is certainly impressive.
    Cheers for that Cody. I guess, given that I fly very low and slow, that UTX would probably be the better bet for starters.
    Well no actually...

Here's the easier explanation:

UTX accurately places roads, rivers, coasts, etc, but still uses the default FSX textures.
    GEX replaces the default FSX textures with more detailed texture sets.

That's why both GEX and UTX work really well together.
    Low and slow is much better with both, Pips.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

A much better and simplified explanation.

Phew ! ... that,s saved me quite a few dollars , i was going on a world tour , sorta take a year off and see the sights ... BEEN THERE DONE THAT ! NOW
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

SOH-CM-2024
    Fine video Cody.

But how does FEX effect REX?

I have both of the GEX and UTX packages plus REX 2.0.

Caz

Charter Member 2011
    FEX will totally overright anything REX has done (if you have all the fetures ticked) but you can mix and match em, so sky from FEX, sea from REX etc
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Didn't quite escape.
    I'd have to echo what dominque said here, I think. It's an excellent video, very well made, but I'd have preferred a few seconds to look at the transitions and differences, not instant switches constantly. As a video, though, it's superb.

One other comment as well... Very minor and spot the teech's kid. Arial Photography? :d
    (See? Someone does read the credits. )

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Well no actually...

Here's the easier explanation:

UTX accurately places roads, rivers, coasts, etc, but still uses the default FSX textures.
    GEX replaces the default FSX textures with more detailed texture sets.

That's why both GEX and UTX work really well together.
    Low and slow is much better with both, Pips.
    Thanks for that explanation Dain, much clearer now. Once I get both, is there a particular order that they should be installed in? Or does it not matter? Cheers.

ASWWIAH Member

NoNewMessages
    Thanks for that explanation Dain, much clearer now. Once I get both, is there a particular order that they should be installed in? Or does it not matter? Cheers.
    I always install UTX first, get the updates done and then run GEX to change out textures.

And just to clairfy a small point, while UTX doesn't alter the default land class textures (that's GEX's task), UTX will have it's own textures for the new road system, coastlines, streams, etc.

Was a very nice video. Showing the benefits from all was, enlightening. I had to watch it several times to get the feel in the concept of all being combined. Mainly focused around big cities showed lots of lighting, and glare. I would have liked the video to have a bit lengthier transition to have the chance to observe a more panoramic change rather than snappy glimpses. It appeared as the video speed was double timing. And for me, by the time my eyes caught up, changed again.

Not meaning to be negative of your video abilities Cody. As you always put me in awe.
    .....Credits, what credits!!. I can't speed read. Hehehe

We have taken your guy's input. Xavier has already started making such changes for future videos. Cheers!

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    FEX will totally overright anything REX has done (if you have all the fetures ticked) but you can mix and match em, so sky from FEX, sea from REX etc

Thanks Stiz, just wondering, I do like the hazy night lights feature of FEX.

Caz

A very fast paced video which doesn't pause long enough between default FSX and enhanced to get any appreciation of the real differences. As far as I can tell there is seems some improvement, but not enough for me to rush out and spend money. Perhaps a more leisurely video next time lingering long enough to reveal the differences ????