Sibson Aerodrome

Thread: Sibson Aerodrome

Sibson Aerodrome

As promised, some pictures from the ground at Sibson, just to the west of Peterborough, England. I thought it was also in Cambridgeshire, but have seen its county described as Rutland. This is complicated because they tried to abolish Rutland, by far the smallest county, in the '70s. Obviously the people of Rutland didn't like that, so they simply left the signs up. I believe a later government relented and tiny Rutlandshire was restored to the map. Anyway, it's right by the A1, the Great North Road.

The airfield is also known as Peterborough Sport to distinguish it from Peterborough Business. I believe it was originally an RAF outstation. Very famous bases like Wittering, Cranwell and Duxford are nearby.

General view of the airfield buildings, 'Tower' corner above the C, repair shop by that red car:

Might as well take a proper look at the Aerotech Pitts S-2A Special seen in earlier photographs:

G-WREN, nice registration. Here it is going up:

...and coming back to land:

Here are the cockpits:

I see that the commander has a nice cosy bubble whereas the hapless student is exposed to the elements. Pitts' instruments:

If I can scrape together a bit of money, will go back next year and have some fun in that...

Not-so-exciting Cessna A152 Aerobat:

Another Cessna (a 172N Skyhawk) taking off over the Pitts. One of the pilots (in the 152 I think), had a full licence though he was just 18, and was getting in some aerobatic training:

View of those two Cessnas and geranium from up in the Tower:

The 152 and 172 parked together outside:

When I arrived, asked if it was OK to take some photographs? 'Yes, but don't walk into any propellors.'

'I won't.'
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Cessnas, Cessnas everywhere:

'Cessnas, Sir! Thousands of 'em...':

Obviously these are kept sheltered round the back. Here's the earlier 152 returning:

They just taxyed it over to the pump for fuelling:

Don't forget the stepladder:

Some shots of the Tiger Moth being filled up to be posted later.

That's Frank who took me up in the Tiger Moth later that afternoon.

Probably the most interesting aircraft there, which maybe I should have posted (with registration removed) as a Mystery?

It's a Czech-built Let L-410, though this one obviously managed to come all the way from Hungary to quietly expire here:

Obviously something to do with our parachuting friends. (The last lot to jump from it must have felt relieved as they escaped).

And there's an old Piper Apache gathering moss alongside it. What am I saying? It's not old! It was built in 1960 - only a few years ago!
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Obviously went and took a closer look at the tatty Piper:

This is rather sad. Whereas the Let looks as though it might one day take to the air again, the Apache is vandalised and has been stripped of most useful stuff:

They've certainly made use of the radios somewhere else!

Recognised this easily enough from a distance as a Super Cub:

Went to take a nearer look (being careful not to walk into any propellors on the way):

Here's a close-up of the front:

And its instruments through the glass:

Nice. It flew off later that afternoon, but unfortunately I'd used up all my film by then.

Piper Cherokee that's still going places:

And another view of it moving off:

RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Shame seeing the pretty Apache rot away.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Shame seeing the pretty Apache rot away.
    Yes, and it was OK until quite recently - found pictures of it in better condition on the net.

A few more. Cessna 208 Caravan:

Guess the skydivers now use this instead of that abandoned Let. Extremely interesting Fairchild Argus lurking in a hangar:

No doubt this comes out at Airshows. I didn't like to poke too far into the hangars, but there were more aircraft under cover. When I arrived, asked permission to take pictures and was told by the Tower it was fine; but inevitably someone had to later say 'Don't photograph the aircraft' (old engineless Cessnas!).

Here's a Robin:

And a pair of Robins:

Nice Christmas card? Incomplete Rockwell Commander:

But the main purpose of my visit was, of course, the Tiger:

Getting it started up, the pilot Frank running back to his cockpit:

Here it is going to fuel:

They had to stop it there at the edge of the grass, then pull it with the dolly on the tailskid, due to lack of brakes. You can see how helpful I was, standing round taking pictures (though I did once shove the chocks into position when it had come back from a spin and there was nobody else around on the ground).

Hope to return to Sibson sooner rather than later!

RR

De Vliegende Hollander