R.I.P. Bunz the bunny

Thread: R.I.P. Bunz the bunny

R.I.P. Bunz the bunny

bunz the bunny went to that "great hutch in the sky" last night. he was 6 years old.

i knew this day was coming many months ago. i sat the kids down and said "no one pays much attention to bunz. he deserves better. we should re-home him, so he can be with a family who will love him and pay attention to him." this was met with a resounding chorus of disapproval, as well as promises to be more attentive. i knew how long those promises would last, so i told my step daughter to move bunz to her room, making him fully her responsibility. bunz was here before i was, and i have my 2 dogs to look after. it's a shame that he had to pay the price for them to learn such a lesson, but so be it. of course my step daughter is a little mopey with feigned sadness, but i expect that to pass by tomorrow.

How did Bunz pass?

i suspect a virus. he had alot of mucus, a fever and was really weak. by the time anyone noticed he was sick he was nearly gone already. i wanted to put him out and make it quick, but there again, no one would allow it.

That is sad. I love my cats and Rottweiler so much, and couldn't bear to see them suffer. I had a Siamese years back that suffered from respiratory infections constantly. I did what I could to rehydrate him, but he finally just gave up. That last drive to the vet was a very difficult time. But I knew he was in distress.....

NC

I think generally that's about the average age limit for a house bunny.
    A friend of ours had some house ones, and they lived about that long.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    Rabbit longevity depends on the breed in the 1st place and in handling in the 2nd place.
    If Bunz was a house rabbit(or a domestic rabbit, farm breed) he could have expected an 8 yrs lifespan(some, including wikipedia state a 12 yrs life expectancy, but i think that depends on a lot of factors), so 6 yrs is not young for a house rabbit, maybe the disease was age related.
    If Bunz was a wild one, 6 yrs is what there is, wild rabbits as pets have a low life expectancy and contrary to popular belief, they are NOT that strong to diseases, not to mention they do spread quite a few.A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, we had a neighbor who had a rabbit farm (which was also a torture to our sister back then, once she realized why all those bunnies where there), the owner was a kind man, who really liked his job, and was very eager to talk about it (who happened to look a lot like Al Bundy..lol).So i could be wrong, but i remember that.

Anyway, RIP Bunz

Best regards
    Prowler

cheezy

Sorry to hear about the bunny. Losing a pet/family member is always tough.

Now a bit OT....if my wife ever finds out where you live, and can find a ride to your house...she will steal those three chefs off the back of your stove. So, be on the look out for a woman with a wonky right eye, an odd walk and a purse just large enough to stuff three chefs into.
    OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    May Bunz rest in peace. Sounds like he had a great life with the family.

My condolences...

We had 2 rabbits at our old house. We let them run around in the backyard and would bring them in occasionally. What a trip trying to catch one if they didnt want to be caught that day. They can turn a flip in the air and change directions faster then you can imagine.

Once I couldnt find them. I had a tunnel I had made in the backyard (I was young) and they decided to try and complete it, going under the fence. Well, a Neighbor comes over with our rabbit, and I take him in the backyard, and again, a knock on the door. Rabbit is in the front yard already... I go to the side gate, no holes under the fence. I look around, scratching my head, and low and behold is this dark spot of grass beside this bush. I go over there, and find its a neatly done hole in the ground, about 8+ inches wide, curved nicely, and I stick my head in there, and there is this mammoth living room they had made, curved walls, massive, and its super cool down in there, and there are our two bunnies, kicking back, eating fresh grass roots that are sticking out of their living room den, lol... What a site.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Sorry to hear about Bunz. Mrs Willy has a young rabbit that's colored like Bugs Bunny and is nothing but a big pet. Her name is Bun-bun.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    cheezy

Sorry to hear about the bunny. Losing a pet/family member is always tough.

Now a bit OT....if my wife ever finds out where you live, and can find a ride to your house...she will steal those three chefs off the back of your stove. So, be on the look out for a woman with a wonky right eye, an odd walk and a purse just large enough to stuff three chefs into.
    OBIO

if i still had them, i would send them to you. the wife hated them, and they disappeared at some point. they were free from reader's digest.