Looking to re-boot..

Thread: Looking to re-boot..

jackedwardmorris95

Wink Looking to re-boot..

Hi all,
    After taking my dads advice (I'm getting a mac in the next few months!) I have finally decided to completely reboot my Vista laptop and put on Windows 98 (However I only have an XP disk handy so that would do..) This task should be relatively simple seeing as I want to back up nothing because it is already backed up on my dads mac. I just want to do the re-booting.. Only thing is I have no clue about how to do this. I Googled it, but the results were useless. So any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks,

Jack

Library Staff
    Hi Jack,

Your laptop's hard drive will be formatted to NTFS. Windows 98 uses the older filing system, FAT32. Therefore you would have to reformat the drive to that system.

As you already have an XP disk, I think that would be the way to go. Just put the disk in, reformat with NTFS and install a fresh copy of XP. CFS 2 works well with XP.

Kevin

Visit cyberwalker.com

Yo Jack;

Looks like it's time for you to do some reading & learning.

Here's a link to a very good PC tech & info site: http://www.cyberwalker.com/topics

Good explanations, software recommendations & instruction.

Have fun!

Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

jackedwardmorris95
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    Yo Jack;

Looks like it's time for you to do some reading & learning.

Here's a link to a very good PC tech & info site: http://www.cyberwalker.com/topics

Good explanations, software recommendations & instruction.

Have fun!
    I tried that site but this article refuses to load:
    http://www.cyberwalker.com/article/723/46

Jack

Jack! I SWORE by Win98SE for a long time, wouldn't trust anything else. Gotta tell ya that XP handles CFS2 as well as or better than anything that I know of. Stick with XP if you can.....I did and I'm very satisfied with that decision. If you've got a good video card and lots of memory, you're home free.

Good luck!
    Great to be here......great to be anywhere

jackedwardmorris95
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_1 View Post
    Jack! I SWORE by Win98SE for a long time, wouldn't trust anything else. Gotta tell ya that XP handles CFS2 as well as or better than anything that I know of. Stick with XP if you can.....I did and I'm very satisfied with that decision. If you've got a good video card and lots of memory, you're home free.

Good luck!
    Thats exactly the problem and why I am re-booting. I have a terrible video card and 2gb of RAM 120gb HD (3gb of which is free)

I thought XP would be kinder to me resource wise,

Jack

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jackedwardmorris95 View Post
    I tried that site but this article refuses to load:
    http://www.cyberwalker.com/article/723/46

Jack
    The page loads fine for me
    Dirtman

Library Staff
    Your video card should be more than adequate for CFS 2. Your hard drive being nearly full degrades the performance of the computer. Get it down to half to two thirds full, defrag and see if the performance is better.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jackedwardmorris95 View Post
    Thats exactly the problem and why I am re-booting. I have a terrible video card and 2gb of RAM 120gb HD (3gb of which is free)

I thought XP would be kinder to me resource wise,

Jack
    BIG PROBLEM here: 120gb HD (3gb of which is free)

You need aprx 30% free space on ANY HD (used as "C" drive) for the PC to run efficiently.
    In your case = 36GB

Below 20% free space the HD cannot be defragmented very well and will run even s-l-o-w-e-r ...
    You have aprx 2.5% free space .... this is why your laptop runs like a brick

I've also told you to forget about partitioning that 120GB HD in the laptop ... it's too small to work efficiently.

Running CFS2 in Win98 will also impose certain restrictions when compared to running it in WinXP.

Now you want to switch to Mac????
    To the best of my knowledge "Boot Camp" (dual boot Mac & Win) is not yet available for the newest Mac o/s.

IMHO ... by switching to Mac, you are moving backwards my young friend.

Dirtman

jackedwardmorris95
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    BIG PROBLEM here: 120gb HD (3gb of which is free)

You need aprx 30% free space on ANY HD (used as "C" drive) for the PC to run efficiently.
    In your case = 36GB

Below 20% free space the HD cannot be defragmented very well and will run even s-l-o-w-e-r ...
    You have aprx 2.5% free space .... this is why your laptop runs like a brick

I've also told you to forget about partitioning that 120GB HD in the laptop ... it's too small to work efficiently.

Running CFS2 in Win98 will also impose certain restrictions when compared to running it in WinXP.

Now you want to switch to Mac????
    To the best of my knowledge "Boot Camp" (dual boot Mac & Win) is not yet available for the newest Mac o/s.

IMHO ... by switching to Mac, you are moving backwards my young friend.

Erm... I'm on my dads new macbook on bootcamp running FSX as we speak, works absolutely perfectly. I want a mac because I can't find a laptop for under the price of a Macbook pro that will run FSX at 40FPS on its highest settings! If there is one please let me know!

Jack