What am I doing wrong - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I doing wrong

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    Well I'll tell ya something else I noticed. Being since I am into the HVAC business I am in and out of a lot of houses. It blows my mind to do work in customers houses that live in six thousand square foot houses plus...retired and in there seventies. What the hell type of retirement or investments do they have. I have started to notice this more and more as time goes on. These homes I am talking about are a million and up. This builder I was talking to said some are from up north and pay cash for the new homes. The cost of living up there is double.I said well they still have taxes and up keep along with health insurance...ect...ect. There is a place in Williamsburg called Twin Pines that the cheapest house started a one million. Alan Iverson looked at one house in there that was a tad bit over six million.He didn't buy it but it sold finally for a tad bit under seven million...lol....like I said.." what am I doing wrong" Twin Pines is a hugh golf area and I would say ninety percent are retired people that live very well. One of the houses I was in working on a water source heat pump I asked the old guy why he need a twelve bed room house, his response was he wanted each of his grand kids to have there own bedroom. The house was on the James river.No Moe ain't one of his grand kids. The house was fourteen thousand square foot.Willy is the only one I know in here that owns half of a state with that big farm house and loads of land to play on.Willy will you adopt me.
    That sounds like my old man!..no seriously, he is the happiest man alive when the whole clan (scattered around the world) gets together..and he keeps a big house only for that intention, i dont know what the value is, but at least once a year..it´s a big happy place!

Prowler

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    ..and to add a final comment, 75 is not old age for him...

Prowler

I don't think you're doing anything wrong Moe....

Are you happy with what you're doing?....are you comfortable?....do you have enough set aside for emergencies?

If your answer is "yes" to all that, then you're "A-Okay" in my book.

My father died these two years past, and since I was comfortable financially I used part of what he left me to buy an airplane. I've enjoyed it (took Joe for a ride in it) and I know my dad would be pleased that I have it.

However, I'd trade it happily for another hour with my dad.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

poet,traveler
    I got to tell you Moe,when my house burned down in 2006 I lost everything,and I do mean everything,I was left with the clothes on my back.So here I am with no house,a bus ticket to NY and $20,oh yea I got laid off right then also and a pair of shoes that were given to me.Did I mention the lack of insurance? We rented and renters insurance was too expensive.

I learned a big lesson that year,it's just stuff.Objects that mean nothing.You have your wife,kids,grandkids and reasonably good heath as long as you don't start being a hardhead again.That's all that matters.:d
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Chacha View Post
    LOL, Hey_Moe.....

Maybe he will....

...Some people sometimes treasure things that can be destroyed, and lost...
    (by moths and rust, that thieves can steal)

i'm hearin what your really sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    If it makes you feel better: I don't have any savings at all and live off what my parents give me.

But once I'm done and start working I won't have to worry about paying back credits, other than those students living off government funding.
    All it'll cost me later on is a three star retirement home for the old man and woman instead of the standard two stars. Sounds fair.
    Would all those wishing to adopt Bjoern please form an orderly queue..........behind me & SWMBO

Wait a sec....

Where exactly is this 3 Star Retirement home?? I do have a spare room here....
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

You know, God has given me a pretty fair hand and I'm thankful for all that I have....but...

We were sitting there watching TV the other night and there was some show on about high living folks, and my wife wondered why that couldn't be us.

I looked at here and said, "Blame me."

"Why?" she asks.

"Well," I says, "I guess I chose to be handsome instead of rich."

She got a good laugh out of that.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Quote Originally Posted by arl View Post
    Would all those wishing to adopt Bjoern please form an orderly queue..........behind me & SWMBO
    Forget it. You can't beat my old people for sheer coolness. I mean, who else on the planet can go to a student party with his 50+ mom and have some drinks in an irish pub with his dad?!?

Also, my dad said that, "...should I ever need to go to one of those homes, please take a baton and club me over the head".
    So I'd have more money for mom, dad would be happy and I'd save some bucks. Everyone would win! :d

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    Where exactly is this 3 Star Retirement home?? I do have a spare room here....
    I don't know...most probably the one with the highest percentage of big-breasted nurses and young civil service guys.