Thoughts on an event.....

Thread: Thoughts on an event.....

Thoughts on an event.....

Hey All,

I'm trying put together an event this Fall that would have us finding our individual ways from one point to the next using only Radio Range Stations and receivers or any other device that would have been available at that time. That time would have even been before NDB's,,,,,what?,,,,yup.

If you haven't seen or heard about any of this for Flight Simulator then pick up the rr40.zip download from FlightSim's library,,,,it's other places too,,,,just don't remember all of them,,,,and have a look-see at it and tell me (reply) what you think.

You can have a look at this too: http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/sho...d.php?t=215234

It would probably take a similar seperate event (here) to cut down on the number of pilots.

Also I'll copy and paste this same post at AVSIM too.

After everybody (that gives a hoot) has had a chance to get their feet wet (bring some soap if you want) then the event this Fall would be an open door challenge or Rally of some sort TBD.

We would need to come up with a time and date for the preliminary event I'm talking about right now. It would take around two hours and could be flown at a different location on the map.

Thoughts,,,comments?
    salt_air

Thanks, Austin. I think it's a great idea. This event reminds me of the reaction we've gotten here when we have "NDB only" events. Some people are not used to that, but want to take part in the event. It's a little daunting at first, but learning something new is part of the fun. I'd heard of the RR system for FS9, but hadn't tried to learn much about it. Since we've been discussing this I've dived into it and figured how it works (more or less..!) It's given me a bit more appreciation of the skills these pilots had to develop to navigate, and even do precision approaches, using this system. And it has a feeling of the golden age of aviation to it as well. Challenging? You bet. Fun to learn about? Definately! I figured out the basics after a few hours of reading the manual and doing some test flights. Now I know just enough to get lost! I would encourage our SOH shipmates to give this a go. Looks like fun.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Thank You Paul,

I don't think it could be said any better.

I only wish I had brought this out to the masses before now......but you have to admit, we've been havin' a pretty good time.

Another reason is to give you guys that carry the event ball ALL THE TIME and do all the planning and work deserve a stinkin' break.

Let me be clear now,,,this isn't a competetion at all. The first time out we'll all just bunch up in a group and stumble and fumble through it and at some point before the event is over everyone should be able to navigate this way on their own.

The second event this Fall would be along the lines of a Rally or Challenge, but there won't be any trophies, just hopefully and great time doing something a little different and new.

Appreciate the reply,
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    ...The first time out we'll all just bunch up in a group and stumble and fumble through it and at some point before the event is over everyone should be able to navigate this way on their own.

That describes me for sure!

Sounds interesting Austin. Count me in.

Ha ha...

Sad but true Moses03 and don't get too concerned, but the "instructor" is sure enough in the same boat.

Be great havin' you "aboard".

Thanks,
    salt_air

Cool

Maybe we can do it this way....

Response has not been overwelming, so if you can make it, just come on out this weekend either day.

Don't try to force into real world activities. If you can't make it and still are interested in some practice before the "Fall Ball", I will set up an impromptu session at a later date.

Check the link below for where and when and there's a small program to d/l so we can roll out on time without the usual "can't join session" hurdles.

It's a simple event that should hit on anything that you will run into if you were flying alone. Should allow us to keep focused on "how to", with ample time between waypoints for comments and questions, but ambitious for a 2 hour structure, may run a little bit over.

It would be perfectly okay to join and leave before the end, if time won't allow you to finish the intended flight.

Details are here: http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/sho...d.php?t=215234

Might need to dust off the Teamspeak 2 clients if you have them. I don't beleive that Windows 7 will run TS2, if that gets to be an issue, then I'll run both....busy day, but it won't be the first time that's happened.

It would be good if your Teamspeak log on name included SOH and a first name for the sake of conversation, but use anything you want in the simulator connection.

I'll take any questions at either thread.

Look forward to "seeing" whoever can make it.

I'll announce October's event sometime after Labor Day.

Cheers,
    salt_air

Cool Change in plans.....

I'm doing something else that's going to eat up a lot of my sim time for the next few weeks.

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/sho...d.php?t=217778

Any of ya that want to or can are welcome to join in, you won't get any "cooties" on FlightSim's server. I also would like to fly a few legs on the SOH server possibly through the Mid-East as long as there are no conflicts here.

There's a lot to read in the posts so far, but it's basically going to be e tutorial for me on every stinkin' Nav Aid from the first charts up to NDB's and including Radio Range, AM Radio, sextant, and Dead Reckoning, with a sun compass and drift meters, E6-B,,,anything that's been made available for the task and that I've put off learning how to work.

The voyage is going to force me to pick these things up,,,,no more puttin' it off for later and I'll get to fly around the world solo in the simulator, something I've fancied for thirty years, in the process.

This is wide open to everyone in the community that would like to join or have any sort of input. It's going to be "school" for me any suggestions and observations are welcomed.

Cheers,
    salt_air