USNS Mercy for FS2004

Thread: USNS Mercy for FS2004

USNS Mercy for FS2004

Some time ago my friend Dan, a veteran helicopter pilot of the Navy, asked me to model the USNS Mercy. Looking for blueprints in the net I found an excelent model in the 3D warehouse and remembered that Arno Gerretsen created a program to transform Collada in FS objects. The Google team people gave me permission and this is the result
    Attachment 10548

And the video shows the first tests. I just have added some textures and a landable deck. It will be a library object to be placed at wish. But I´d like to have your suggestions to improve the model before uploading it.

Very nice work. Looks good from my eyes (smile) - a old retired USN Hospital Corpsman. Thanks for your great work.

Take care.

Ed

During the 1st Gulf War, I was responsible for ensuring that the Mercy's sistership USNS Comfort was properly manned up for it's deployment to the Gulf. I'm glad to see that one of them is in FS.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Charter Member 2011
    not only for the model which is a great idea, but for having the balls to make a helo landing video!
    Well flown.

Terrific project idea. Is this going to be a scenery like off the coast of South Vietnam or something?
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    Terrific project idea. Is this going to be a scenery like off the coast of South Vietnam or something?
    My idea with this post is to receive opinions for the best possible locations of a scenery with the ship. Possibly I will to create something like a mission with a wreck, a LPD to take off and the Mercy to land. I could also put the textures of the Comfort, if somebody prefers.
    Attachment 10667

Attachment 10668

And thanks a lot, Wing Z. I´m not a good pilot, but making videos gives you always a second (or a third) oportunity.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Could place one off the the coast of Haiti.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Well I got my ships a bit confused. My last post referred to the Sanctuary, from another war's time. Still, I would think anything you choose to do will be much appreciated, by simmers and vets alike. Having said that, I read that her home port is San Diego and has served in the Philippines, Indonesia, the Arabian Gulf, and Southeast Asia on many military and humanitarian missions. I found two shots of her so far, one off Jolo, Phillipines and one off Dili, East Timor for some ideas.

The USS Sanctuary
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Cool! I love ships for FS. Do you have the ability to alter the actual source file? If so, there's not a need to have anything modeled that will sit beneath the waterline.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE JG View Post
    Cool! I love ships for FS. Do you have the ability to alter the actual source file? If so, there's not a need to have anything modeled that will sit beneath the waterline.

It can be done with certain models, if you ask for permission. But just with certain models and with a lot of time. For instance, I can alter the source file of the Mercy, but I think it is a great model and does not need to be reworked. It is much easier to modify the textures, as I have done (just several details, mainly realtive to the structures surrounding the flight deck)

If you can find "anything" that will sit beneath the waterline please tell me. I´m really interested in a lot of ships models, and it is really difficult for me to find blueprints of many of them. For instance, the USS San Antonio (or New York), a great ship I would like to model.

Would you be able to add a wake effect to this ship? I added it to a program called pitching deck and it will move in the water but there is no wake.
    I have two mdl's one is Mercy and the other is mercy full. The Mercy full will not load in the pitching deck program but the mercy mdl will.

Pls let me know something. I wanted to see a wake effect while loaded in the picheing deck program. Did you add it to the mdl?

What is the name of the wake effect called (if used).

Thanks
    Last edited by gray eagle; July 31st, 2014 at 12:29.

If you make the ship a single BGL file, like Paul Clawson's battlewagons and carriers, the user could easily move it to wherever in the FS world they want it with just a few minutes of work. Check out Paul's USS Idaho or one of his flattops to see how it's done.

To relocate those ships you just open the BGL in BGLxml, change the location coordinates to wherever you want, and recompile with BGLcomp. He even includes the required software with the ship in the download, along with instructions on how to relocate the ship.

With his earlier ships the wake was a separate file that had to be relocated separately, but in his later versions the wake was incorporated with the model into a single BGL file and only one file had to be edited.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    If you make the ship a single BGL file, like Paul Clawson's battlewagons and carriers, the user could easily move it to wherever in the FS world they want it with just a few minutes of work. Check out Paul's USS Idaho or one of his flattops to see how it's done.

To relocate those ships you just open the BGL in BGLxml, change the location coordinates to wherever you want, and recompile with BGLcomp. He even includes the required software with the ship in the download, along with instructions on how to relocate the ship.

With his earlier ships the wake was a separate file that had to be relocated separately, but in his later versions the wake was incorporated with the model into a single BGL file and only one file had to be edited.
    That is what I am interested in. The sim.cfg file calls for a file called
    [Effects]
    wake = fx_wake_xl <<<< That one is installed in my effects folder.
    water=fx_spray <<<< I believe this one is too.

It looks like this is a FSX redo and the textures are in dds format.

With the program called pitching deck I just enter the long/lat from Bing and the boat of choice (including Mercy) will be there,

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-Pitching-Deck

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I rode COMFORT from its layberth in Baltimore harbor down to Miami for MEDDET pickup, and from there to Pascagoula, MS and New Orleans, LA following Katrina. If you could position MERCY or COMFORT in either of those ports it would be neat. BTW if you are thinking of berthing it in NOLA we tied up at the Poland Street pier, adjacent to the 9th Ward and across the river from NAVSUPPACT NOLA on the West Bank.