Ohio's crazy new speeding rule
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio's crazy new speeding rule

Ohio's crazy new speeding rule

The Great State of Ohio now has another reason to avoid it....the police no longer have to use their radar guns to determine if you are speeding. They can give you a speeding ticket based on their visual estimate of your speed.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...storyid=137256

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sweet racket! Now people 5 mph over will be accused of 20+ over to rake in the cash. Wonder how much the judges get?

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Sounds like Arizona... .

Want to make money off of people!? Be a cop! Tons to be made.... Bonus's galore.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

WOW, that is so clearly against the principle "not guilty until proven otherwise", I hope you have some working high court over there to go against that rule.
    Mathias

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries

Yea this is insane!! The problem is the High court in Ohio are the ones who have giving their blessing to by pass our rights as Americans..
    So Now you can be charged without any proof, and found guilty without a chance to defend ones self..Your word against a Cops, who do you think they will believe..
    Welcome to the new American Police state, OHIO..
    This is a Outrage...

....Maybe too many of their radar gun units read telephone poles instead of motorist and gave up on the units....
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

I hate to burst all of your bubbles today, but that's the way it's always been.
    A speeding violation is first visually determined by the officer.
    Many jurisdictions prefer or require that the officer's visual findings are confirmed by either a clocking method, or the more convenient use of RADAR these days.
    But prior to RADAR, back in the good old days before Interstate highways, that's the way it was.
    Many of the laws haven't changed since the mid 50's, thus the Ohio Supreme Court ruling in this case.

Rule of thumb, don't speed, no problem. Right?
    Saves you a whole lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth as well.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Sounds like Arizona... .

Want to make money off of people!? Be a cop! Tons to be made.... Bonus's galore.

Bill
    Bill,

They are getting rid of the the permanent site radar traps here, but have you noticed the massive increase in radar vans, there popping up everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post

Yea this is insane!! The problem is the High court in Ohio are the ones who have giving their blessing to by pass our rights as Americans..
    So Now you can be charged without any proof, and found guilty without a chance to defend ones self..Your word against a Cops, who do you think they will believe..
    Welcome to the new American Police state, OHIO..
    This is a Outrage...
    With all this high-flung talk about "rule of law" a cop is going to have to demonstrate the scientific foundation for his estimate of my speed, regardless of any "high court".

I'm abouit 20 miles north of you, Hobbit.

Bones
    My Dad's last words to me were, "Son, an eagle may soar to great heights, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine..."
    And then he died...
    He was sucked into a jet engine...

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries

Comments that say if you don't speed you have nothing to worry about. That's a classic circular argument. The real problem is that you might not be speeding. The proof is only in the cops head.

Pretextual stops are not unheard of, and the more lattitude the police has to pull you over on judgement, the more likely the abuse.

Less liberty, More Police power, that solves everything..
    Sounds like Nazis, to me..God forgive Us..
    Our founding fathers without question are spining in their graves..

Those that are willing to give up their liberty for security, soon find they have neither liberty or security..
    Welcome to the new american Police state..OHIO..

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Bill,

They are getting rid of the the permanent site radar traps here, but have you noticed the massive increase in radar vans, there popping up everywhere.
    Yep.. They are littering up the highways with these small white trucks out on the highways between Flag and Phoenix. Go around the corner or over a mountain, (at the bottom of mountains is hilarious) and there they are, cha-ching... cha-ching... $200.00 each. Millions a year on that 'source of income'.

Dain;

You can be doing under the speed limit and you are still in their mercy, or what ever you would call it. I was doing the speed limit into Sun City once, 35MPH speed limit, in my yellow, sleek lowered Daytona with full ground effects. A delivery vehicle passed me by at great speed, then hits his brakes and I go past him at the speed limit. 20 seconds later, I am pulled over for speeding, 15 over. Nope, his buddy in the squad car saw me speeding also... Professional money making at its finest by.... oh what ever.. I have had so many tickets that I didnt dserve that I am tired of talking about it... I am ready to leave the country.

EDIT: Im going to move to Germany, get me a nice home next to the Autobahn with high speed internet, and enjoy life. :d

Trolls... Troll-ism. Thats all it is. 'Woots in yer wallet?'

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

poet,traveler
    It's been like that in NY for over 30 years that I know of,I heard it from the Justice of the Peace himself.I also heard it from a couple of cops.Drive by the guy at 55,see him waiting there from far away and get pulled over for 68 in a 55........5 different times in NY.Always 68 in a 55,uh huh.

But that was many years ago,the cops and DOT in Ohio have always been pricks.It was a friend's husband that got New Hope shut down.:d
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Yep.. They are littering up the highways with these small white trucks out on the highways between Flag and Phoenix. Go around the corner or over a mountain, (at the bottom of mountains is hilarious) and there they are, cha-ching... cha-ching... $200.00 each. Millions a year on that 'source of income'.

Dain;

You can be doing under the speed limit and you are still in their mercy, or what ever you would call it. I was doing the speed limit into Sun City once, 35MPH speed limit, in my yellow, sleek lowered Daytona with full ground effects. A delivery vehicle passed me by at great speed, then hits his brakes and I go past him at the speed limit. 20 seconds later, I am pulled over for speeding, 15 over. Nope, his buddy in the squad car saw me speeding also... Professional money making at its finest by.... oh what ever.. I have had so many tickets that I didnt dserve that I am tired of talking about it... I am ready to leave the country.

EDIT: Im going to move to Germany, get me a nice home next to the Autobahn with high speed internet, and enjoy life. :d

Trolls... Troll-ism. Thats all it is. 'Woots in yer wallet?'

Bill

But that is the way it is for many states, Bill.
    Officer discretion.

Don't like it?, contact a state representative to change the law.
    You'll find legislators on your side, trust me.

I find it funny people spend so much time pissing and moaning about traffic laws that haven't been updated since the 1950's in many areas, yet do nothing about it.
    Change them! Put those slobs to work for you in your state capital!

BTW Bill, if you get stopped in Germany, it's not uncommon for one officer to talk to you about the violation, while his partner is holding a submachine gun pointed straight at you.
    I know all about that.
    Thought I'd warn ya before you start packing up. :d
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

The cops in Belgium tote Uzi's too.

We could use some of that here. I live on a little paved 2 lane country road that runs parallel to a US highway. 45mph speed limit and people run it at 55+ staying off the main highway to avoid the cops. It's not safe to walk across the road here to check my mailbox. The county has jurisdiction, but they don't have any radar guns. And the State Troopers won't set up because it's a county road. Someone will have to get killed before they do anything about it despite numerous complaints from the people who live on this road. I just hope it aint me or my family.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The cops in Belgium tote Uzi's too.
    and in Spain
    had a couple aimed at me before now
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Blog Entries
    I have been driving for 45 years. Over the last 10-12 years I average 30-40,000 miles a year. In that time I have gotten speeding tickets. I have NEVER gotten one I didn't deserve. In fact, several times I was let off with a warning and once he gave me a seat belt violation instead. (I was wearing a seat beat but it didn't go on my record)

I too sometimes have mental phobia over policemen and think of all these horrid unfair events that might happen. They have never happened. I am not saying there aren't police who are crooked and abuse their power. I just think it is rare that one does.

The vans scare me. My wife just got a ticket by one. She was just pacing the traffic. It use to be if you paced with the rest of the traffic they didn't bother you. The vans ticket everyone in the stream.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Unhappy Ohio Radar

As a graduate of the Ohio State Highway Patrol Radar school (many moons ago), a big part of the field training involved being able to visually gauge a vehicle's speed without benefit of radar. I was consistently able to hit it within 2 MPH of what the radar indicated.

That being said, I have no idea what current training standards are and hope this ruling is designed more for the Captain Obvious moments like a car going airborne (FS related!!!) after hitting a bump in a school zone, rather than as a revenue enhancer, but as I grow older and more suspicious, I have my doubts.

BTW- hardly ever wrote speed tickets other than for 20+ over and most useful result of taxpayer provided training was schooling an FHP trooper on what "shadowing" was after being erroneously pulled over in the Florida Keys for speeding.

So, Thank You State of Ohio Taxpayers. Your thousand dollar training saved me from a one hundred dollar fine, and maybe helped edumacate a Florida State Trooper. Maybe.

P.S. OSHP training also made me confident that I was only ticketing people that deserved it and not recording speeding mailboxes and the like.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    BTW Bill, if you get stopped in Germany, it's not uncommon for one officer to talk to you about the violation, while his partner is holding a submachine gun pointed straight at you.
    I know all about that.
    eeeks!

Ken Stallings
    I hate to burst all of your bubbles today, but that's the way it's always been.
    A speeding violation is first visually determined by the officer.
    Many jurisdictions prefer or require that the officer's visual findings are confirmed by either a clocking method, or the more convenient use of RADAR these days.
    But prior to RADAR, back in the good old days before Interstate highways, that's the way it was.
    Many of the laws haven't changed since the mid 50's, thus the Ohio Supreme Court ruling in this case.

Rule of thumb, don't speed, no problem. Right?
    Saves you a whole lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth as well.
    You're kidding, right! I mean, seriously!

One thing for a cop to see someone they SUSPECT of speeding based on visual. Then, if they clock you using their speedometer while behind you, or even setting the speed limit plus 10 and they aren't catching up too quickly, or using radar to record the speed -- I'm fine with that -- Book 'em Dano!

But to give the ticket merely on visual estimate?

That's unsupportable and you shouldn't be so wiling to give the police such descretionary powers.

I hope the citizens of Ohio are raising hell over this. You should all be calling your state representatives and making it clear that regardless of how desperate they are for increased revenues, that this isn't going to be tolerated.

Make it an election issue!

Ken

This topic is close to my work.

That is kind of what this all about, a lack of consistency at the enforcement and court level. There has to be an understanding that speedometers can be off as well as laser or radar guns. I have to believe that officers and judges are aware of those facts and will exercise due regard for them, and frankly I don't.

Look up Click and Clack, my source for laughs and insightful commentary. I happen to agree with Tommys observation that any driver, myself included, that routinely drives over the limit, even a little, conditions him/herself to disobey the law. Speed limits then become almost a joke. I mean really, what part of LIMIT don't we understand? The result is that we get indignant when we get caught.

And sadly I have almost never met a driver, alive or dead, that really had a need to drive as fast or as aggressively as they did to wind up in my bailywick.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

But that is the way it is for many states, Bill.
    Officer discretion.

I know all about that.
    What an utter nonsense, where did you get that?
    Actually the police is having a hard time getting their speed "tickets" shot with their hand-held radar guns validated by court simply because those things are considered unreliable.
    In fact, if you get caught with one of those things the odds are with you.
    Most courts these days over here say, if they don't have better proof than that leave the poor driver alone. :-)
    As for German police in commen and that gun swinging nonsense you just bothered to share with us, I don't think that you will find a more layed back and none-agressive officer anywhere in the world than here in Germany.
    Mathias

tigisfat
    I'm not one for alarmist conspiracy theorists and ultra-political activism, but frankly, crazy stuff is happening. It may not be this, persay, but it seems that our rights are in jeopardy all over the US. That's the natural evolution of things when the quick fix for everything is a new law.

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    I must say that I have never been pulled over unfairly. In fact I just got pulled over last week Friday cause I was being a donkeys rear end on the road... Regardless I do not think most police are out to target speeders (in Florida anyway). Have a 500+ horsepower vehicle I would of definately felt the wrath by now if that were the case. Only have issues when I act the fool though on public streets. Think I would of learned from the first time I got pulled over 3 years ago. Have a good week makes ya careless tho. Just kept my mouth shut, handed him my papers, didn't say squat. For some reason gave me a warning. I think eventually though there will be radar camera things on top of most light poles and such... Just seems to be the direction things are going.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    But to give the ticket merely on visual estimate?
    its actually pretty obviouse. I walk along a road that has a 60 limit and you can deffinitly tell whos speeding!
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out