New X-Plane 9 High Definition for iPad

Thread: New X-Plane 9 High Definition for iPad

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

New X-Plane 9 High Definition for iPad

Hey all,

I purchased the new X-Plane 'High Definition' version 9 for iPad.

Very nice... About 20 planes including their new Columbia / lancair ES, a space shuttle, B-52 flying wing, etc, etc, etc. This has tons of the actual X-Plane program, from Map to Weather preselections, ability to boot up in various airports, etc. The scenery is of course limited and you have popular 'large' selection area's such as the Alps around Innsbruck, Southern California, Hawaii, etc, etc... Possibly 12 to 15 scenery sets.

I took a few screenshots.

Runs quite smoothly. No 'jitters'. Just a smooth running sim. Easy to land, fun to take off, flaps and everything...

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Looks like FS95...
    Certainly does.

And I really wish people would stop using the words 'high definition' in regards to the Ipad. The Ipad isn't even capable of high definition by any standard. The screen isn't nearly high enough resolution for a start.

And Austin Meyer (X-plane creator) has managed to wind me up again. As of yet I've constantly been fed that x-plane boasts the most realistic physics engine available that mirrors real life precisely. How is it then that in previous versions (not even bothered with V9) it is absolutely impossible to sideslip the C172? I must be dreaming when I regularly do it in real life.

Now he's come out with this gem;

The large screen and powerful processors of the iPad provide a tremendous amount of power that we have NOT seen in ANY mobile device to date.
    We'll ignore the fact that the vast vast vast majority of netbooks completely and utterly outperform the ipad in processing power, and just jump to the fact that for the price of the 'high spec' ipad I can buy a Dell Inspiron, with an I5 processor, 4gb of RAM and an HD 5470 that could run FSX without particularly thinking about it. Are laptops not portable? If not someone needs to tell everybody in the world for the past 15 years

SOH-CM-2014
    remember, this is for a mobile device.

:d

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey Skittles.

Not to pop your bubble, but an iphone screen and an iPad screen have different resolutions. Thus a high rez version of an app, referred to as HD or High Defintion, is an App that has been redone for the bigger pixel resolution of the iPad screen.

I don't mean to correct you, but.. well, thats the facts.

Sorry they cancelled your slate. I guess it just couldn't handle Win7 on a small device. Also, I will try to never come into one of your guys' 'notepad' threads and make trouble and try to embarrass you all and make coments about programs I know nothing about. (I would probably make myself look like a goof if I went around doing things like that).

Have a great day man.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hey Skittles.

Not to pop your bubble, but an iphone screen and an iPad screen have different resolutions. Thus a high rez version of an app, referred to as HD or High Defintion, is an App that has been redone for the bigger pixel resolution of the iPad screen.

I don't mean to correct you, but.. well, thats the facts.

Sorry they cancelled your slate. I guess it just couldn't handle Win7 on a small device. Also, I will try to never come into one of your guys' 'notepad' threads and make trouble and try to embarrass you all and make coments about programs I know nothing about. (I would probably make myself look like a goof if I went around doing things like that).

Have a great day man.

Bill
    I don't give a monkeys about the slate, I've got no use for a tablet device whatsoever. I was interested to see what it can do but I've got no allegiance in either camp.

By ALL definitions in the world of gaming and television, the term 'high definition' refers to the minimum horizontal resolution of 720 scan lines with progressive scan. The definition of 'true' high definition is split as to whether 720p is included, or whether it is just 1080i and 1080p, or whether it is just 1080p. The only fact is that the ipad is not high definition by any standard whatsoever, unless my 10 year old 256x256 screen phone is high definition because it's bigger than my 11 year old 128x128 screen phone. It does not even meet the 720p resolution. The ipad might be H(er)D than the iphone, but it is not HD. I am not a goof, as you suggest - I am just aware of the minimum requirements for HD. Thank you for the (thinly veiled) insult.

I've got nothing against apple and nothing against the ipad. What I don't like is misinformation that might prompt someone to spend thousands of pounds of their hard earned money!

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    I don't give a monkeys about the slate, I've got no use for a tablet device whatsoever. I was interested to see what it can do but I've got no allegiance in either camp.

By ALL definitions in the world of gaming and television, the term 'high definition' refers to the minimum horizontal resolution of 720 scan lines with progressive scan. The definition of 'true' high definition is split as to whether 720p is included, or whether it is just 1080i and 1080p, or whether it is just 1080p. The only fact is that the ipad is not high definition by any standard whatsoever, unless my 10 year old 256x256 screen phone is high definition because it's bigger than my 11 year old 128x128 screen phone. It does not even meet the 720p resolution. The ipad might be H(er)D than the iphone, but it is not HD. I am not a goof, as you suggest - I am just aware of the minimum requirements for HD. Thank you for the (thinly veiled) insult.

I've got nothing against apple and nothing against the ipad. What I don't like is misinformation that might prompt someone to spend thousands of pounds of their hard earned money!
    It's exactly the same thing as current gen consoles. Both Xbox360 and PS3 are marketed as HD consoles, while most of the games runs at 720p, or even worse - at 576p and then game is upscaled to 720p. I won't say anything about frames per second . My three years old PC runs most of new games in 1280x1024 (yes, I still have 5:4 LCD) in 50 - 60 fps. It's just a marketing.

Back to topic. That X-Plane looks really nice on iPad. I prefer FSX on PC though.

Blog Entries
    Gentlemen, in a year none of this will matter. We will be discussing the NEXT greatest product. We are not a PC vs MAC commercial here. let's remember that when we position our statements.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by empeck View Post
    It's exactly the same thing as current gen consoles. Both Xbox360 and PS3 are marketed as HD consoles, while most of the games runs at 720p, or even worse - at 576p and then game is upscaled to 720p. I won't say anything about frames per second . My three years old PC runs most of new games in 1280x1024 (yes, I still have 5:4 LCD) in 50 - 60 fps. It's just a marketing.

Back to topic. That X-Plane looks really nice on iPad. I prefer FSX on PC though.
    Games in HD don't really bother me. I say this because the effort involved to create the level of detail required to actually make that 1080p worthwhile is phenomenal. It's not the same as recording with a high-def camera then just playing it back. The detail has to be created. That said there is a long list of games for the PS3 for example in full 1080.

The machines do have the capacity (shown when watching blu-rays on the PS3 for example), the games developers just can't possibly use it yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0