As ignorant as they come.

Thread: As ignorant as they come.

Happiness Consultant

As ignorant as they come.

Okay folks I've been singin the blues since Pam has been braggin up her skills and talents about putting stuff in Railworks.

Well being mechanically engineering inclined, I use CAD all day long ... so today I threw the little thing shown below together ...

My problem, I haven't the slightest clue how to get it from my CAD to RW.

"Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    oh a beer coaster:salute:
    dont ask me
    i just download em
    pretty cool though
    you wold have to animate it
    an thats waaaaaay above me
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

tigisfat
    You may feel bad about Pam, but to put things into perspective, that model is way above my head.

Here's the question: What is going to fit on it? Is it only 15 feet long or are those ties HUGE?

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Hey Snuffy,

Nice work on the turn-around! Very nicely done...

In FS, we have a 'SDK' package that has a bunch of sub-packets or folders with PDF's and HTML's on how to do this and that. I would think RW would have some PDF's in the package somewhere that walk you through how to install a turn-around. I would think they would have one for you already done that you could drop in. There is one on the Black 5 tracks.

It will need animation and tagging, that much I am pretty sure.

What did you model that in? CAD? Gmax? Max? Blender?
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Railsimulator dev wiki:

http://www.railsimdownloads.com/wiki/tiki-index.php

Or alternatively you may download pdf docs for Rail Simulator 1, most of docs are the same:

http://railsimulator.com/en/railsimfiles

Happiness Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    ... Here's the question: What is going to fit on it? Is it only 15 feet long or are those ties HUGE?
    Its a 53 foot diameter turntable. The header beams are 12x24, as they are the only horizontal support for the weight of the vehicle to be turned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart
    What did you model that in? CAD? Gmax? Max? Blender?
    Its in AutoCAD. Its what I use every day at work, its what I'm the most familiar with. AutoCAD exports to dxf, 3DCanvas can import dxf, and I've done that already, but some of my surfaces are back facing, so they're invisible, and my tie rods don't show at all.

Henry, Yeah it'll need animating no doubt about it, I want it to work. I'm afraid its above me too.

Empeck, thanks for the links, is the Dev wiki different from the regular railworks wiki.
    Again, my problem isn't that I don't know where to find what I need to convert this, the problem is I don't have the experience in using the tools and I get frustrated very easy and very early in trying to convert anything.

The documentation for me, is sparse and poorly written, and 3DCanvas doesn't come with the best tutorials either. I usually fail to pick up on the part where it reads ... "And then a miracle" happens.

I'll dig around some more, I really need this in my setup as there isn't one that exists to depict the era of steam locos which I'm modeling in.

Thanks for the help and comments guys!
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Blog Entries
    I dont know if theres a button for it in 3D canvas, but usually with two sided textures, you need to either set the renderer to "Force 2 sided" textures while rendering, or create a second copy of the part in the model, with the normals reversed.

Happiness Consultant
    I think I'm multiplying my problem ....

A little addition to what I started yesterday.

Snuffy / Ted

Blog Entries
    I Like that round house.. the detailing your putting into the joists and hangers is awesome.. i wouldnt think of going that deep, but then, i'm a lazy old fart ::lol:;..

Happiness Consultant
    Thanks Pam.

I deal with CAD all day ... you're looking at a total of roughly 15 hours of work combined between the turntable and the engine house. Yesterday I polished off the remainder of the engine house, and today I'm cobbling together a car repair shop. Almost got it all done too.

Snuffy / Ted

Members +
    Snuffy,

Is that the engine house at City Point?

Crash

Happiness Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashnBurns View Post
    Snuffy,

Is that the engine house at City Point?

Crash
    It is.

There is no scenery items for my route so I'm having to model everything. Now if only I could get this stuff in game. :isadizzy:

Snuffy / Ted

Members who have read this thread: 1