Red Green's Stratolifter Shenanigans
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Green's Stratolifter Shenanigans

Red Green's Stratolifter Shenanigans

Do not fear going forward slowly, fear only to stand still. - Chinese Proverb

You could argue that I've entered a mule into the Kentucky Derby. The C-135A certainly won't be the fastest plane in the air for this race, and those four J-57s will ensure I don't win any fuel mileage awards. What this plane does have, is excellent range and a ton of character. Whether that's going to be enough to be competitive at all is hard to say.

Anyway, it's time to get going. Departing for WIIH in a matter of minutes.

Leg aborted due to real-life concerns.

YPDN to WIIH take two will be starting shortly.

Successfully landed at WIIH in Jakarta. Flight was uneventful for the most part. The scenery in the South Pacific is much nicer during the daylight hours to be sure. Was a tad faster than what I really wanted to be on my approach, but deploying the landing gear remedied the issue handily. Thankfully, the haze the weatherman was predicting was nowhere to be found, visibility was perfect. Pulled off a nice landing to top off the flight.

+30 Minute Bonus (Indonesia Landing)
    First Night Landing Completed
    34,491 Pounds of fuel used. (Does this race have a "Friend of OPEC" Award?)

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...C4gaEjrqRfVR5M

SOH Staff
    pish, posh...only 34K+ pounds of fuel?
    I better than doubled that.
    I'm hoping the boys will save a bunch,
    the more for us to guzzle.

I'm all for the "Friends of OPEC Award"
    this is the 50s!
    back in the States,
    gas is 10 cents a gallon
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

This next leg will be a very personal one. My father spent a year of his life in the Army at this location in '68 and '69.

I will be departing WIIH shortly. Destination: VVTS, otherwise known as Saigon, South Vietnam.

Hat's off to your Dad!!

Have a good flight.
    salt_air

The American cargo aircraft successfully landed in Saigon. It's a sight that will become quite common in the upcoming decade.

+30 Minute Bonus (South Vietnam Landing)
    Second Night Landing Completed
    24,008 Pounds of Fuel Used

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...SA8dfIO0ZyU9o0

From Saigon, on to another city that I have personal connection to. During his tour of duty in Vietnam, my father had two R&R's. He spent one of them in Bangkok, Thailand. The other one was spent in Hong Kong. It was on the trip to Hong Kong that my father was able to experience firsthand the Runway 13 approach to Kai Tak.

While normally I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to take on Runway 13, I will likely opt for the simpler approach to Runway 31. This flight will also commence at dawn rather than dusk.

Onward!

Successful landing in Hong Kong. It's always a pleasure to touch down in this city.

+30 Minute Bonus (Hong Kong Landing)
    20,121 Pounds of Fuel Used

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...SoCWCdIQ0BZeQ0

Up next, we depart Hong Kong for Taipei, The Republic of China (RCTP). This will easily be the shortest trip on my route, so it's a good opportunity to get that final nighttime landing out of the way. I'll certainly enjoy seeing the lights of Hong Kong at night as I depart.

Another successful landing.

+30 Minute Bonus (Republic of China Landing)
    Third and Final Night Landing Completed.
    12,080 Pounds of Fuel Used

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...sh36wsYgN4oGXU

We'll now be departing for the third checkpoint of the race, Yokota Air Base (RJTY) in Japan. It'll be nice to be making my landings in the daylight from now on!

Successfully landed at Yokota Air Base. Feels good to finally put down at what could be considered "American Soil." It's almost as good as that amazing tailwind I had (for once) that propelled me on my way.

Now, off to find my woman from To-ka-yo!

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...ioZtUncpDTQ7mo

Forgot to add to the previous post:

+30 Minute Bonus (Japan Landing)
    24,791 Pounds of Fuel Used

Time to set a new personal record for longest flight of all time (in distance.) My previous high was a 2500 nm jaunt from New York City to Juneau in a DC-7C that took just under nine hours. This run likely won't take as long, but the flight from RJTY to PAED clocks in at over 3000 miles.

I've done (North American) Transcontinental flights and Trans-Atlantic flights before. Time to add a Trans-Pacific flight to my resume!

Safely landed and secured in Anchorage! Got to see a beauty of a sunrise as I left Japan, and even saw a moonrise as I entered Alaskan airspace. Another one of those flights that I'll remember for a long time.

73,664 Pounds of Fuel Used.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...0WGiViMPQ7KK60

Nearly 7 hours in the air!!! I hope you brought a good book to read along the way.

WTG!

Vicious
    Vicious - Team Avsim

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Nearly 7 hours in the air!!! I hope you brought a good book to read along the way.

WTG!

Vicious
    AHH 7 hours is nothing. Thats just a short break between Potty Breaks.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I finished the last quarter of a book I was reading, Oh Ranger! True Stories from our National Parks, and also read issues of Car and Driver and Electronic Gaming Monthly during the flight. Whenever I do these long distance flights I always have that moment about two-thirds of the way in where I ask, "Why do I do this to myself?" However, the thrill of touching down and finishing the flight is always worth it.

I plan to wrap this thing up this weekend.

Happy Trails Red.......
    salt_air

Time to wrap this thing up. Departing Elmendorf shortly for the finish line at Edwards Air Force Base. (Come to think of it, finishing the race on Memorial Day weekend is somewhat appropriate...)

Done and done! Felt good to finally touch down at Edwards after a long race.

47,141 Pounds of Fuel Used

By the way, I neglected to mention earlier that I carried a payload through this entire race. The payload consists of some fine Australian lager that was loaded aboard at Darwin. It's been well refrigerated through the Pacific Rim, and is ready for immediate consumption. :ernae:

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...jbNMyiJmhw7qc0

SOH Staff
    well done...a damn nice finish.
    save a beer or two and I'll drop in to help celebrate.
    better make it three,
    Heidi's coming too and she's thirsty.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Way to go RG. :salute: