Looking for a desktop

Thread: Looking for a desktop

Looking for a desktop

Hi, I have decided to buy a fast Windows XP machine. I don't know to to build one, and I have doubts about compatibility of my programs with Windows 7. So I was wondering if anyone here know of a reliable source where I can buy a XP gamiing desktop (I already tried Tiger Direct).

A friend told me that If I were to get the 64-bit XP disk I can load it on a powerful modern desktop that does not have an operating system. Is this true, or are there hidden pitfalls?

Thanks for your responses.
    Sid

Blog Entries
    Sid where do you live? Believe it or not that is an important first step
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Hi Sid,

At this point you will probably find it very difficult to find many places that will stock or supply a new PC with WinXP and even fewer WinXP 64 bit.

If you really need XP then you should have no problems buying a PC online that you can specify as being supplied without an OS, and you might still be able to buy WinXP to install onto it. Obviously if you do have the full WinXP on CD (and most PCs recently would be supplied with a "restore CD") the latter can be reused.

Installation should be straightforward as WinXP should be able to boot from and install direct from the CD, but this may be a bit daunting if you've never done it before !

Perhaps a better approach might be to consider whether you really need XP. If not, life would probably be much easier if you take the plunge and get Windows7. Then getting something built to your desired spec. would be relatively straightforward and it would come with the OS already installed.

With some business purchases it used to be possible to order a Vista-equipped PC "back-graded" to XP, exploiting a loophole in the licence, but I really don't know if this is still possible.

Hopefully others can chip in with other comments !

Cheers,

Alastair

Don't fear W7

What programs are you trying to run that you might be fearful they will not run.

I am running W7 Ultimate 64 bit and so far the only things that do not run well are a few old DOS games. All of those will run under DosBox or XP mode on a W-7 computer. I have not had to abandon any of my old software becuase of the move to W7.

There are lots of things you can do to get older programs to run under W7.

Keep in mind that to use XP mode you need W7 Professional or Ultimate.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB