300' Chimney on Final Approach...Lang May Yer Lum Reek.

Thread: 300' Chimney on Final Approach...Lang May Yer Lum Reek.

300' Chimney on Final Approach...Lang May Yer Lum Reek.

How many airports have a 300' chimney on final approach. I know Stuttgart has, but they're both in a deep valley. We're about to get one here in Dundee - and it's going to be a 300'+ beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFmJH...eature=channel

"Lang may yer lum reek" as they say in this part of the world.

3DS Max animation? Nice work!

As for approach obstacles, I like Mannheim's ramp to the bridge over the Rhine.
    Be too low and you're gonna sweep some poor guy in his car from it with your landing gear.
    (Look for a few photos of EDFM and you'll see what I mean.)

Same for LCY. Nasty bridges...

It may possibly improve the Dundee skyline? :d
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

While watching that video I kept hearing "Mr. Bond! Mr. Bond! We can do a deal! I'll buy you a delicatessen — in stainless steel! Pleeeeeease...."

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick C View Post
    It may possibly improve the Dundee skyline? :d
    I'm quite fond of the Dundee skyline, especially when viewed from across the river on a cold winters morning.

It's just a shame there's actually nothing to do in the city, otherwise I might still be living there.
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

A 206 skid up the arse, now thats what I call painfull LMFAO! What happened to the cat hahahaha. Quality comical stuff wonder how much of that was models flying? hard to tell! :d

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by DPS View Post
    How many airports have a 300' chimney on final approach. I know Stuttgart has, but they're both in a deep valley. We're about to get one here in Dundee - and it's going to be a 300'+ beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFmJH...eature=channel

"Lang may yer lum reek" as they say in this part of the world.
    In the US, the FAA is very careful to prevent construction around airports that might present a hazard to aircraft. There have been a few cases of builders failing to consult federal laws and they construct something that violates those published safety criteria. In those cases, the FAA has ordered the builder to dismantle what they built and it carries force of federal law behind it. Because ultimately, a hazard to aircraft always ends up being a hazard to those on the ground -- at least until someone repeals the law of gravity!

In the US, nearly all airports were built originally on the outskirts of cities because we've never really had a shortage of land here -- at least not like in most of Europe.

However, in Europe, often airports had to be squeezed in. So, one couldn't be as choosy.

Worst was the old Hong Kong International. Things got so bad there, they ended up building an island for the new airport! At least it won't suffer from encroachment!

Ken

The problem with Scotland is, its full of Scots hahahaha, sorry couldn't resist!

I liked the James Bond angle but some of his sound effects were worse than mine. That chopper was more Stuka than Jet Ranger in places. Did the cat 'buy the farm' too?

The Dundee skyline was improving as some of the big block of flats were demolished, but this biomass plant ain't going to make it prettier. And yes, the city is very quiet these days. The pub culture died a death after the smoking ban. Now enjoying a healthy outdoor life breathing volcanic ash.

Quite right, Bojoern. This started life in FS but had to revert to 3DS as FS helicopters' flight modelling has a mind of its own. Chances of the FS R-22 getting near the top of the chimney without flying into the masonary pretty well zero.

Quite right, Bojoern. This started life in FS but had to revert to 3DS as FS helicopters' flight modelling has a mind of its own. Chances of the FS R-22 getting near the top of the chimney without flying into the masonary pretty well zero.
    Ehehehe, FS's crash detection is sloppy as heck...that's why I have it off. :d

Ken Stallings
    I liked the James Bond angle but some of his sound effects were worse than mine. That chopper was more Stuka than Jet Ranger in places. Did the cat 'buy the farm' too?

The Dundee skyline was improving as some of the big block of flats were demolished, but this biomass plant ain't going to make it prettier. And yes, the city is very quiet these days. The pub culture died a death after the smoking ban. Now enjoying a healthy outdoor life breathing volcanic ash.
    No animals were harmed in the filming of this movie.

Death to psychotic madmen bent upon world domination and creation of mass human misery is entirely expected, natural, and satisfying!

Cheers,

Ken

Perhaps 20 years ago someone started building a tall parking garage across the street from the approach end of the runway at San Diego.... Got to six floors and 109 feet before they got it stopped..........

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Perhaps 20 years ago someone started building a tall parking garage across the street from the approach end of the runway at San Diego.... Got to six floors and 109 feet before they got it stopped..........
    Heh-Heh, and then they were forced to take it down, floor by floor, until it met code....

AOPA put a time-lapse camera on it, and you could log on and watch it come down. It was great! The reason it was so great was that the developer had been told repeatedly he was violating the law, but just chose to ignore that, thinking once it was up, he would not be forced to take it down....

"Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
    As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
    Are melted into air, into thin air...." Or so says the Bard.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

20 years? I lived in San Diego in 2007 and there was in the news another story of a building, construction of which was halted when it became apparent it was going to interfere with the airport. By the time I left in late 2007 the lawyers were still at it.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    20 years? I lived in San Diego in 2007 and there was in the news another story of a building, construction of which was halted when it became apparent it was going to interfere with the airport. By the time I left in late 2007 the lawyers were still at it.
    I think I recall the FAA won that court battle about a year ago. The builders were ordered to immediately tear down the offending construction.

You'd think any builder worth ten cents would read the clearly published law before building anything around an airport!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    In the US, the FAA is very careful to prevent construction around airports that might present a hazard to aircraft. There have been a few cases of builders failing to consult federal laws and they construct something that violates those published safety criteria. In those cases, the FAA has ordered the builder to dismantle what they built and it carries force of federal law behind it. Because ultimately, a hazard to aircraft always ends up being a hazard to those on the ground -- at least until someone repeals the law of gravity!

In the US, nearly all airports were built originally on the outskirts of cities because we've never really had a shortage of land here -- at least not like in most of Europe.

However, in Europe, often airports had to be squeezed in. So, one couldn't be as choosy.

Worst was the old Hong Kong International. Things got so bad there, they ended up building an island for the new airport! At least it won't suffer from encroachment!

Ken
    My next door neighbor got a visit from the Feds or the local airport authority last year. He had a very large tree that needed to come down, we live very close to the end of the runway. He tried to fight it, but the tree had to go. At least he didn't have to pay for it.
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W