'When You Use Real Instruments Instead Of Synthesizers'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'When You Use Real Instruments Instead Of Synthesizers'

Lightbulb 'When You Use Real Instruments Instead Of Synthesizers'

Note the sound/harmony of the strings, horns, and woodwinds....

[youtube]Lum4usLXMO4[/youtube]

I agree. I love it when good rock bands use huge (real) orchestras. It makes for a rich and deep and complete sound. Good stuff.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Panther, you come up with some good videos.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I agree. I love it when good rock bands use huge (real) orchestras. It makes for a rich and deep and complete sound. Good stuff.
    Agreed 100%....

I agree. The Moody Blues live at Red Rocks is another good example.
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

harleyman

Then you should listen to the Metalica double CD of them with the Los Angeles Philharmonic..the entire HUGH Orchestra is Miked up...Outstanding...

If there is one sound that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end it's the sound of an orchestra tuning up just before a performance.

There is a real palpable sense of excitement, a feeling that something spectacular is about to occur.

It is something of a quiet cacophony, with moments of absolute lucidity when you catch the odd strain or melody of something you recognise amidst the commotion.

Wonderful.
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

i like when orchestras play classical music. i hate it when rock bands use them in an effort to appear more artsy.
    case in point, mettalica. as for elton john, he's not on my radar

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Kansas was just here a couple of weeks back and played with the Green Bay Symphony.
    Too bad I was out of town. Heard it was great!

SOH-CM-2023
    Meatloaf with the Melbourne Symphony is awesome. I have the DVD but I could only find this audio only vid on youtube

[YOUTUBE]ZfMubD4kJTk[/YOUTUBE]

Brian
    You can't take the sky from me...

Never quite got the grip of the concept of "famous dude/gal/band forms up with big orchestra from xyz and plays their music the classic way".
    It's either entirely classical or entirely modern for me. But something in between? No, thanks.

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Never quite got the grip of the concept of "famous dude/gal/band forms up with big orchestra from xyz and plays their music the classic way".
    It's either entirely classical or entirely modern for me. But something in between? No, thanks.
    Wow! A rather surprising personal decision to limit the scope of one's musical sources!

In truth, this combination is entirely natural and has been a hallmark of rock and roll since the start. Buddy Holly was doing this -- putting full orchestration together with his music on stage. It was awesome!

The thing I don't often see is bands putting a large group of guitars together as happens routinely with violins. Take 20 acoustic guitars playing together. That would be a rich and powerful as any symphony string section working together!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post

The thing I don't often see is bands putting a large group of guitars together as happens routinely with violins. Take 20 acoustic guitars playing together. That would be a rich and powerful as any symphony string section working together!

Ken
    in your mind (mine as well) it sounds like a great idea. but in reality, it's VERY difficult to pull off. the "sound" becomes too "fat" and it just doesn't work out most of the time. i briefly experimented with this idea many years ago with a project called "the mountain band". we had 5 guitarists, 2 bass players, 2 drummers, and 5 singers. it was a nightmare for the sound guy, let alone everyone else. it has been done effectively but it's really tough to pull off.

speaking of strings, one of the reasons i love the twelve girl band so much is because they play a blend of folk, modern, and classical, and chinese, but with traditional chinese instruments that go back more than a thousand years. so it's classical, but yet it's not. it's rock, (some of it) but it's not. it's "ethnic", but in more than one way. that, and the skill involved is monumental. i would love to try this piece with all guitars:

[YOUTUBE]qEuMcHh1KhQ&[/YOUTUBE]

Master of Disaster
    Wow! A rather surprising personal decision to limit the scope of one's musical sources!

In truth, this combination is entirely natural and has been a hallmark of rock and roll since the start. Buddy Holly was doing this -- putting full orchestration together with his music on stage. It was awesome!

Ken
    Just goes to show what a personal experience music is to each person! AC/DC with a string section........NEVER; bagpipes are ok!!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Sometimes orchestra can be integrated successfully, as a rule I don;t care for the mix. Deep Purple's actual first album with Glover and Gillain was the one they did with the London crew.It rocked. The Moodys and Yes are favorites of mine, Led Zeppelin had a string and brass set for the song Kashmir, it really worked. The Beatles did some great work too with orchestras. Black sabbath integrated Tibetan monks into Sabotage in 1975 and was great. In 1966 The Outsiders had a spiffy little brass section in their one hit, Time Won't Let Me.

The king of them all was Mason Williams and Classical Gas from 1968.

There is next to no, what was once called, progressive rock left, but I think orchestras worked with the right groups, I just would not base a band on it.

"Now in darkeness world stops turning,
    Ashes where the body's burning
    No more war pigs of the power
    Hand of God has struck the hour..."

Bones
    My Dad's last words to me were, "Son, an eagle may soar to great heights, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine..."
    And then he died...
    He was sucked into a jet engine...

Different strokes for different folks. Ya post your video, some folks like it and some don't. I'm no musician but I'll betcha if Charlie Daniels got together with that 12 Girl Band they could come up with a very unique version of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". :d

My friends call me a "music nazi". :d

Very rough rule of thumb for my musical scope: Bass, guitar, drums. Makes for the best bands. You don't even need a specialized singer either.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    thanks P
    very powerful
    beats synthesizers any day
    speaking of the moody blues
    they used to use a melotron
    basically a keyboard with tapes of a particular instrument
    nothing beats a human musician
    as far as a bunch of guitars goes
    here in shreveport lives a guy called James Burton
    some of you may know who he is
    last year he went for the record of i believe 2000 guitars
    playing at the same time
    he came up short but a fine musican
    and a great guy to help others
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

I remember when Emerson, Lake, & Palmer came to the forefront in the 70's using a lot of synth in their music. Let's see, 70's was how many decades back...Ack, I can't be that old!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Happiness Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Must have a problem then with this:

[YOUTUBE]Oy_PxHOuwGw[/YOUTUBE]
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    Just goes to show what a personal experience music is to each person! AC/DC with a string section........NEVER; bagpipes are ok!!
    I bet you AC/DC would translate into a symphony orchestra show very, very well -- excellently in fact!

Imagine the intro guitar solo in "Thunder" being played by a standard string section.

Oh yeah! I can see that being rather tasty indeed!

Ken

Happiness Consultant
    AC/DC eh?

Try this ...

[YOUTUBE]RVMuhUBvpbk[/YOUTUBE]
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Ken Stallings
    And Ed, the video you posted was awesome!

Ken

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    in your mind (mine as well) it sounds like a great idea. but in reality, it's VERY difficult to pull off. the "sound" becomes too "fat" and it just doesn't work out most of the time. i briefly experimented with this idea many years ago with a project called "the mountain band". we had 5 guitarists, 2 bass players, 2 drummers, and 5 singers. it was a nightmare for the sound guy, let alone everyone else. it has been done effectively but it's really tough to pull off.

speaking of strings, one of the reasons i love the twelve girl band so much is because they play a blend of folk, modern, and classical, and chinese, but with traditional chinese instruments that go back more than a thousand years. so it's classical, but yet it's not. it's rock, (some of it) but it's not. it's "ethnic", but in more than one way. that, and the skill involved is monumental. i would love to try this piece with all guitars:
    That was great! Yeah, I think that would sound powerful with acoustic guitars.

Ken

well, you'd need an electric with a good slide player to do the violin-ish parts