Nifty 50s Jet Race Entry thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nifty 50s Jet Race Entry thread

I will enter the Northrop F-89 Scorpion (Alphasim). Because I like the way it looks. :d
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

You an me both Paul - F-89s! I'll have to fly from Nanaimo down to Whidbey where your at!

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

SOH Staff
    I was lookin' at the F-89, too,
    but the only freeware I could find was Ito's
    and it's not allowed.
    besides, his is +Mach 1.0

so it goes

I had a model of that one when I was a kid.
    there's something very appealing about it.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

gandy
    Ive changed to this little jet..

The Hawker Hunter F58 with a black paint job

Well after much debate I am entering in the Saab J-29F Tunnan by Piglet.

She's pretty slow in the climb but it has some legs if you treat her right.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Great to see the Swedish barrel in the race. Thought about flying it myself.

J29 - great little bird

DD,

I think the J29 is likely the fastest bird for this race so I look forward to seeing how you do with it. When we used it in the RTW, we could get nearly 700nm to a tank and cruise at over 600 kts ground speed. It can also take a beating, although you can break the gear when landing heavy.

Good Luck!
    Vicious
    Vicious - Team Avsim

Hawker won't Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by powell341 View Post
    I am entering the Hawker Hunter T MK.7.:salute: Good luck to everyone!

cya,
    powell341Attachment 5084
    changing my entry to Morane Saulnier 760 trainer, light duty jet. French Navy 1959. It may not be the fastest but it should still be fun.

428 "GHOST" Squadron, RCAF
    Attachment 5538Soon to be re-equipped with the new CF-105 Avro Arrow, 428 "Ghost" Sqdn. has received authority from Air Defence Command to take on a major farewell mission - a Flight of CF-100 Mk.4 aircraft have been ferried to Australia to compete in the PacRim Challenge.

Although coming in second to the EE Canberra in a USAF competition for an interdiction aircraft, the "Clunk" still saw success with NATO where they were for some time the only NATO fighters capable of operating in zero visibility and poor weather conditions and are expected to remain in service until the 1980's

The Flight Leader, after reviewing the geography of the route was heard to remark: "I think we just flew into The Ring of Fire."

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

SOH Staff
    Great to see yaz, Rob!
    sometimes it doesn't.

I formally withdraw my entry in this event. My Sabre is apparently too poorly modeled in it's flight characteristics it cannot be competitive, and my posts are not properly formatted to comply with the rules. Feel free to delete my race thread, and I will consider having my name removed from the SOH race team roster.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Take some time, think things over and then come back and race some more.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Take some time, think things over and then come back and race some more.
    Don't worry Willy, I'm only dropping out of the event, and I'm not mad about it either, i'm relieved it over. Not sure I'm into the racing aspect of FS anymore as I see the fallacy of the simplified ruleset- the simpler they appear, the more complicated that actually are.
    MaddogK

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    Don't worry Willy, I'm only dropping out of the event, and I'm not mad about it either, i'm relieved it over. Not sure I'm into the racing aspect of FS anymore as I see the fallacy of the simplified ruleset- the simpler they appear, the more complicated that actually are.
    I think it really couldda been simple. It got turned into complicated. Herding cats is hard. Lots of personal lessons learned on this one. Maybe we should have just said "jets" and be done with it. What's so special about Mach 1.00000000000 anyway? Who cares? If you jump in your trusty F-105 and scorch along at Mach 1.9, you'll do it for about 99 miles anyway, then swim the rest of the way to Timor. Oh well. Next time...
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I think it really couldda been simple. It got turned into complicated. Herding cats is hard. Lots of personal lessons learned on this one. Maybe we should have just said "jets" and be done with it. What's so special about Mach 1.00000000000 anyway? Who cares? If you jump in your trusty F-105 and scorch along at Mach 1.9, you'll do it for about 99 miles anyway, then swim the rest of the way to Timor. Oh well. Next time...
    I made it complicated, you guys did fine. I'm sorry for killin' your event with my drama.
    MaddogK

Change of aircraft and restart

Juan Peron made an offer I couldn't resist. Seems the Argentinians have a new jet fighter prototype that they want to test & showcase and after my performance in the Evita event, they decided that I'd be the guy to fly it in the RimPac. Shucks they're paying for it all. And I get to test pilot their new toy. Life is good.

Here's the details on the Pulqui II..

In the years following World War II, one of the most talented of all German aircraft designers immigrated to Argentina, Professor Kurt Tank, famous for the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 and Ta 152 series of fighters. Here, he was involved in the design of which was meant to be the first operational Jet fighter developed and built in the country, the 'IA-33 Pulqui II' which emboded many of the design elements of Tank's earlier Focke Wulf Ta 183.

The first Argentine prototype for a national jet fighter had been the Pulqui I, designed by French Engineer Dewoitine. However, this was a very basic concept and was not up to the expectations. Contrary to the previous design by Dewoitine, many elements incorporated by Tank into the Pulqui II were totally new in the fields of aeronautical construction, placing the Argentinean aero industry amongst the most advanced during those years.

Five prototypes of the Pulqui II were built. The first one never flew and was destroyed in static tests of resistance. The second prototype first flew on 16 June 1950 and proved to be successful in most respects. Later, it would be lost in an accident, as well as prototypes number 3 and number 4. The fifth prototype was finished in 1959.

Unfortunately, the economic and political problems that plagued Argentina in the 1950s and 60s finally killed the project that never went beyond the prototype stage. Today, prototype number 5, only survivor of the project, is preserved at the Argentina’s National Museum of Aeronautics in Buenos Aires. More info at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_IAe_33_Pulqui_II

FS model by Victor Astiz.

SOH Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    I made it complicated, you guys did fine. I'm sorry for killin' your event with my drama.
    I should probably keep my nose out of this,
    but that just ain't in my nature.
    I would like to make a few comments and observations.
    I don't mean to irritate anyone,
    so please don't get mad at me.

first off, I don't think you killed off this event.
    heck, we're still flyin'.
    at least I think we are.
    I am.

MK, sometimes, it seems like you take this stuff way to seriously.
    yeah, the title of this event is the Pac Rim Jet Race BFD
    I believe the real intent is to get together, chase around,
    and, first and foremost, have some fun.
    I mean, competition is okay, but if it makes a person uptight and crazy,
    I say, don't compete. that is, unless one likes being uptight and crazy.
    heck, I get enough of that foolishness at work.
    I just want to play.

here's my recommendation;
    forget about it.
    start over, plan your route and go fly.
    don't worry about winning or losing,
    just enjoy the moment and have some fun.
    it seems to me that if we have a good time, we win.
    if we don't have a good time, we lose.
    pretty basic stuff.

sure, there's the pride thing,
    but as far as I'm concerned, it's just BS.
    for what it's worth, I think it shows a lot of character
    to step up, take responsibility and apologize.
    well done.
    now, take the next step,
    forget about it and move forward.

thanks for letting me go on,
    I'll shut up now.
    sometimes it doesn't.

It really is BS Smilo, I took some a situation of light hearted ribbing and pushed, and pushed, and pushed till I got 1 guy to quit, 2 others vanished, and for what- NO reason at all. Really, I don't know how to apologize for causing all this dissention in our ranks other than to BEG those guys to come back, forget about my actions, and carry on. I've already plotted my course back to Hawaii, and after a few days in Olongapo I'm heading out to Imo Jima, Wake, Midway, then Hawaii to pick up the Vulcan and take it back to the states.

I think I've cheesed off too many good guys this race to get re-involved, so I'll wait for it to conclude so we can start repairing the damage, and plan for the next race. Thats the best I can do. So good luck guys, and drinks are on me when you make it to Edwards.
    MaddogK

When I say “It couldda been simple”, I'm pointing the finger primarily at myself, for writing a lousy set of rules. Some will conclude from this that we really do need 30 pages of rules to hold a race event, but I'm still not convinced. Reggie and Moses03 each put together separate race events a few years ago that were astonishingly simple. In one case it was Beech 18s across North America. In the other it was ferry Cessna GA planes from North America to Alaska. That was it! Reggie's Cessna race featured some fuel efficiency considerations, but each event was simple and very much fun. There's no reason those type events can't be done these days. I guess we didn't quite achieve it in this case. Not sure what happened. The jets were an unexpected complication, especially the issue of max speed. One thing we tried to avoid was having to test each plane to see if it was “hot” or otherwise unrealistic, and therefore disallowed. Because we don't know how to test jets. You can't just test them at one altitude. Jets have two max speeds: KIAS and Mach. You run into KIAS limitations down low, and Mach issues up high. And even if you do test each jet at 10,000 foot increments from 0 to 40,000 feet, which, by the way, will take months, you're left with a set of data that's difficult to compare with real world data because the real world data is hard to come by. So after spending months testing jets, you still don't know which ones are “hot” or otherwise unrealistic. My solution was simple: to heck with testing! And that was my idea, because everyone else was on board with testing, but nobody had time to actually do all that testing. What that comes down to on race day is that we don't really care if the plane you choose is unrealistic. But since that wasn't made clear up front, racers went by previous experience with these events and assumed that unrealistic was bad. And then we confused the heck out of everyone by publishing the rule on max speed both backwards, and imprecise. I think that contributed a lot in the confusion before the race. And then we uncovered another wildly inconsistent characteristic of jets: fuel consumption. I'm not sure if this is an issue more with jets than piston engine planes in FS, or if we just paid more attention to it for this race, but some jets get ridiculous range performance, and others must sure have a hole in the gas tank the way they consume gas.

I'm not sure who you were thinking about when you said two others vanished, but in case one was me, I will be continuing my “race trek” soon. I'm still unpacking boxes from the Big Move, and I'm building some book shelves so I can get all the books out of boxes and back where I can find them. And my new job has also been keeping my a bit busy. Besides, I've found that when I start taking things too seriously on this site, it helps to take a few “days off”, as it were...

So, MaddogK and jkcook28, it would make me feel better if you reconsidered your decision, but I understand if you don't.
    HP Reverb G2

OT: Following in Gandy's footsteps, I'm going to fly David Garwood's absolutely first-rate Hawker Hunter for FSX. (This model is a spectacular upgrade from his earlier, great-at-the-time, Hunters for FS2004.)

As it happens, the Foreign Office is delighted with the splendid runs by the Black Arrows pilot from 111 Squadron. (Gandy!) With that success, British embassies all over the region have put in a request for further demonstrations of British aeronautic prowess. In response, the RAF has sent out another Hawker Hunter, this time from the legendary 92 (East India) Squadron. The squadron flew Spitfires in WWII, fighting over Dunkirk, in the Battle of Britain, over the Western Desert and El Alamein, over Malta and in the Italian campaign. During the war, its pilots claimed the most victories (317) of any squadron in the RAF. After the war, the reformed unit flew Gloster Meteors, North American Sabres, and finally Hunters in 1956.

This particular aircraft has been outfitted in the new "Blue Diamonds" livery in anticipation of the squadron's taking over from the Black Arrows as the service's official aerobatics display team. The pilot is under instructions to ignore fuel and distance and instead concentrate on putting on a show in the region's various national capitals.

-Mike

I'm surprised we haven't seen a MiG entered yet.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

SOH Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't seen a MiG entered yet.
    Haitun said he was going with the Mig-15
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...t=34599&page=2
    he just hasn't saddled up, yet.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Since I lost the F-89 somewhere over the Java Sea (Indoneasian Triangle..?) I will start over with the Douglas A-3 Skywarrior.
    HP Reverb G2

SOH Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Since I lost the F-89 somewhere over the Java Sea (Indoneasian Triangle..?) I will start over with the Douglas A-3 Skywarrior.
    WHAT?!?

the Scorpian was lost?

oh my
    sometimes it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by smilo View Post
    WHAT?!?

the Scorpian was lost?

oh my
    Well, sort of... The Alphasim F-89 has an "issue" with FSX in that the afterburners are difficult to turn off. You have to throttle back almost to idle to get them to stop. It's a little irritating, but when my computer froze up while over the Java Sea I got slightly disgusted, and have now decided to change planes. Besides, I really like the Alphasim A-3!
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 0