Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Pacific Rim Nifty 50s Jet Challenge, an overview

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    If anyone wants to take this trip with a Vulcan:
    It may need some supporting fleet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

Godspeed!
    Markus.
    I've actually prepped a Vulcan for this run, but fuel usage is UNGODLY high, she's still on my short list but there a couple others that are about as fast, have similiar range, but use much less fuel.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    I've actually prepped a Vulcan for this run, but fuel usage is UNGODLY high, she's still on my short list but there a couple others that are about as fast, have similiar range, but use much less fuel.
    C'mon.. belly up to the bar!

ShellVirtualAero needs your credit card! There's an endless supply of petroleum!

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I downloaded the old Alphasim Tu-16 Badger , the Badger-A flyed first time in 1954.
    When I unzipped the file I discovered Alphasim Badger is the -C version and it flyed first time in 1961. Question: could I use this Badger or it's out the limit for time? Second question: could I remove from the panel the GPS icon?

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    C'mon.. belly up to the bar!

ShellVirtualAero needs your credit card! There's an endless supply of petroleum!
    Nice hat,

Tell ya what, I'll take the Vulcan if my first choice is rejected (still a state secret).
    :salute:
    MaddogK

Question to the Judges: If an A/C is considered subsonic for the RTW race, may I use it for this event although it capable of supersonic speed in a dive ? I wanna be fair as wikipedia says it's slower than the A-7.
    MaddogK

I'm leaning toward the
    --Vulcan
    --b57
    --hawker hunter

depending on leg lengths...did I miss a memo about the route?
    [EDIT] I did miss the memo. race rules post found!

Quote Originally Posted by SIAI S81 View Post
    I downloaded the old Alphasim Tu-16 Badger , the Badger-A flyed first time in 1954.
    When I unzipped the file I discovered Alphasim Badger is the -C version and it flyed first time in 1961. Question: could I use this Badger or it's out the limit for time? Second question: could I remove from the panel the GPS icon?
    Sorry, it's out of the time frame. My first choice was an RAF Comet 4 by David Maltby, but those didn't enter service until 1960. As for the GPS icon, we rely on pilot honor to not use the GPS. Removing the icon while a nice gesture, is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK
    Question to the Judges: If an A/C is considered subsonic for the RTW race, may I use it for this event although it capable of supersonic speed in a dive ? I wanna be fair as wikipedia says it's slower than the A-7.
    The main criteria is in use by 31 December 1959 and a Mach Max in the aircraft.cfg file of less than 1.0. If it fits those criteria, it should be legal.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Icon5

Ok, I will choose another plane. Thanks Willy for your answer! :salute:

Mach Number

Rules committee, can we clarify this once and for all:
    First, is there an answer to Daves' thread here? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post394155

I chose the A-4B after extensive testing at all altitudes and cannot exceed M1.0; much less reach the M1.2 in .cfg
    I picked the -B model based on these tests and the in-service date. I see in this thread also that in-service is revised to first flight; so the -C would fit now too.
    It seems it's simply these max mach numbers typed in the .cfg file are ruling out otherwise non-mach capable (in the sim) excellent models.

I'll choose another aircraft if need be.
    Please advise.
    -John-

"If the plane cannot achieve Mach 1.0 speed in level flight, it is eligible."

I would not worry about the 1.00 cfg entry. If testing proves it cannot exceed Mach 1 in level flight it can be eligible.

Tks Moses, may use the A-4C now, some better paint schemes. Will test tonight.
    -John-

mach question

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    I would not worry about the 1.00 cfg entry. If testing proves it cannot exceed Mach 1 in level flight it can be eligible.
    I think this is different from what the rules state. They seem pretty specific that if the max Mach in the config file is greater than or equal to 1, the aircraft is not eligible.

Vicious
    Vicious - Team Avsim

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    I think this is different from what the rules state. They seem pretty specific that if the max Mach in the config file is greater than or equal to 1, the aircraft is not eligible.

Vicious
    Rgr. We are updating that line in the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Rgr. We are updating that line in the rules.
    That clears it up. I may have to rethink my plane choice then. :salute:

Vicious
    Vicious - Team Avsim

In service date clarification

Is an aircraft eligible if the first example flew before the end of 1959, but wasn't declared in service until the early 60's? If so, we'd have a few more aircraft to choose from.

Vicious
    Vicious - Team Avsim

Bear with me, my comp is in the shop and I'm on my wife's at the moment.

Are you talking about a prototype? Prototypes that were flown before 31 December 1959 are eligible. An example would be the IAE 33 Pulqui II.

No, not talking about a prototype, just the first production example. But the "In service" date, when it was actually given to the squadron was in the early 60's.

Vicious
    Vicious - Team Avsim

If it was flying before 31 December 1959 and meets the other criteria (max mach), then it's eligible.

Dawn shakedown flight out of Darwin...
    -John-

SOH Staff
    after practicing short field take offs
    and landings from KNOW,
    I decided to climb out of the rain
    and head for PADK
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

gandy
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    My first choice was an RAF Comet 4 by David Maltby, but those didn't enter service until 1960.
    The first production Mk4 Comet came into service 27/4/58 and was passed on to BOAC on the 24/2/59, Aircraft reg was G-APDA

Is the comet 3 ok to fly as its first flight was on 19/7/54 but G-ANLO was not passed on to the military until 1961, they made some changes and it became the Comet 3B

The RAF got it's Comet 4s in 1962.

Jens Christensen has done a Comet 2 that includes an RAF paint that would be eligible as the 2 started RAF service in the mid 50s.

The key on entering service is when they entered military service.

gandy
    Quite true Willy, I do have a back up aircraft to use which im now planning to use as a comet 3 test flight i tried went wrong. My backup is a Hawker Hunter F58.

JETninja
    Hmmm, you all got me interested in flying some 50's Iron. I download the Alphasim B-57 Canberra, had a retired USAF Step-dad years ago (deceased) that flew them for a number of years in the early 60's. (became a Herky pilot later on, sure he would have dug the C-17 Program I've been a part of the last 24 years) (He was in the 1st grad class at the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs in '59....and is buried there. Beautiful place.)

But my Nav talents are seriously lacking, too many years away. I got some re-learning to do.....

Also the Avro Vulcan is a sexy long range bird, need to look for one of those!