First there was Taylorcraft and then Icarus, Zephyr and finally Auster..............

Thread: First there was Taylorcraft and then Icarus, Zephyr and finally Auster..............

First there was Taylorcraft and then Icarus, Zephyr and finally Auster..............

Following on from Dave Moyleaux's popular recreation of the license built Taylorcraft Model C which was released a few weeks ago, today see its successor the Auster Mk.1 rolled out of the virtual Auster factory.

The Plus D was a modified Plus C (of course!) and had a Cirrus Minor fitted instead of the previous Lycoming engine. Together with a different cockpit layout and revised glazing, an order for 100 airframes was received from the RAF in 1941.

When production was underway, the Ministry of Aircraft Production requested that the aircraft be named. The suggestion of 'Icarus' was rejected because this character of Greek mythology crashed on his first flight. Similarly 'Zephyr' meaning a gentle warm wind, ws not popular although this began an idea that the name be another in the series of Hurricane, Typhoon and Whirlwind which described the fighter aircraft of the time. Finally the name 'Auster' a Roman name for a warm southerly breeze, was chosen and the Plus D became known as the Auster Mk.1.

The Auster modelled by Dave is LB312 which had the construction number 171. Delivered direct to 651 Squadron on 24/9/1942, but during short landing practice at Kidsdale on 23/10/1942, its pilot undershot the approach and struck the airfield boundary fence, causing '312 to land on its nose'. On November 8th a 63 MY salvage team conveyed the damaged aircraft to Rearsby where after repairs, it was re-issued to 653 Squadron on 31/12/1942. On 12/4/1945, '312 was issued to 234 Squadron, with whom it remained until 20/2/1946 when it was flown to No.5 MU for disposal. Upon sale, LB312 was civilianised as G-AHXE.

As always just like all the other Austers Dave and Brian have produced, the attention to detail is very accurate indeed and the flight model extremely close to the real thing. A word of warning here, it will float on and on and on, if you dont get your approach speeds correct:

Typhoons flew in and otu of Rearsby's grass field quite cheerfully, so obviously the Austers had plenty of space.....apart from one. The Auster Mk 1 had no flaps and therefore a tendancy to float on the approach to touch down. A Polish (ex Spitfire pilot) arrived on 3 July 1945 from Aston Down, in an ancient flapless version - LB333. Close to the boundary, he made a one point landing - on the tailwheel. This caused a see-saw movement on to the main wheels. Applying Spitfire principles and bursts of power, his mount leap frogged along the strip and refused to settle. It was tea-break time at the workshops, so a hundred or so workers watched the spectacle of an Auster having to make an over-shoot and try again. Second time around, a hundred voices chanted '1...2....3.....4.....5......6' as they counted the inevitable bounces. However, all was well this time. The Auster eventually slowed - and disappeared! It had veered into the long uncut grass beside the marked strip. The sound of the accompanying unanimous cheer must have rung in his ears for days.

Hope everyone enjoys it as much as the Plus C and all the other Austers which are available from www.classicbritishfiles.com

Happy (and short landings),

Martin

love that shot of it with the Supermarine Walrus in the background, another piece of great work...:ernae:

Thank you Martin for the H/U and for supplying the historical data. Always interesting.
    Brent aka "dogknot"

Quote Originally Posted by dogknot View Post
    Thank you Martin for the H/U and for supplying the historical data. Always interesting.
    No problem at all. The text just goes to show how much work goes into each Auster variant. Normally over 200 photos are taken, the technical manuals and pilots notes (where available) are copied and then notes and comments are made by the owners themselves as the projects progress. All of this goes together to produce what you see here.

These aircraft are made to be as lifelike as can possible can within the confines of the simulator program.

Best wishes,

Martin

Yep, you definitely have to have your approach set up in advance to be able to stall at touchdown with 35 m.p.h. LOL!!

This is another Auster that is a lot of fun to fly. Thanks guys!

sidenote: the readme says there is an invisible start on the far right side of the panel.....it is actually on the left side.

BTW, I stumbled on a set of sounds for the Auster Alpine (or AOP9) by Gary Jones while in the cbf library. Don't know how I missed those, but they are great!
    filename: ca65f25dAuster_Soundset.zip at www.classicbritishfiles.com
    Brent aka "dogknot"

Cedar Key - Or so Old John MacDonald would say
    BTW, I stumbled on a set of sounds for the Auster Alpine (or AOP9) by Gary Jones while in the cbf library. Don't know how I missed those, but they are great!
    filename: ca65f25dAuster_Soundset.zip at www.classicbritishfiles.com[/QUOTE]

Brent .

Gary has been responsisble for several reworked sound sets - His Alpine sound files is excellent BUT only for the Alpine -- the AOP9 was of course powered by a Cirrus Bombardier engine which has a very distinctive sound. The sound set that comes with the AOP9 was remastered from actual audio/video taken by Martin
    in the AOP9 that David Moly Modeled - I didn't remove the comment from Gary's read me much to my now chagriin.

Leif

Quote Originally Posted by RyDraiggoch View Post
    filename: ca65f25dAuster_Soundset.zip at www.classicbritishfiles.com

Brent .

Gary has been responsisble for several reworked sound sets - His Alpine sound files is excellent BUT only for the Alpine -- the AOP9 was of course powered by a Cirrus Bombardier engine which has a very distinctive sound. The sound set that comes with the AOP9 was remastered from actual audio/video taken by Martin
    in the AOP9 that David Moly Modeled - I didn't remove the comment from Gary's read me much to my now chagriin.

Leif
    LOLOL!!! Yes, I sure understand. I did go back to the AOP9 before changing anything out and reread the documents referencing a hearty thanks to Martin Pengelly for the r/w base recorded sound files. Needless to say, I didn't replace them. They are excellent on their own and the Alpine sounds mentioned above belong with the Alpine.
    Thanks again to all involved!
    Brent aka "dogknot"

AUSTER MK 1

sidenote: the readme says there is an invisible start on the far right side of the panel.....it is actually on the left side.
    Oops, sorry ! never could tell my left from my right - its what comes of being left-handed but being made to write with my right as a youngster. I trip over my feet as well - but only after a beer or three.
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)

Yep, you definitely have to have your approach set up in advance to be able to stall at touchdown with 35 m.p.h. LOL!!

This is another Auster that is a lot of fun to fly. Thanks guys!
    Then you'll find its all true!.....................

YOU KNOW WHEN IT'S AN AUSTER WHEN ................

people on the ground mistake the aircraft for a kite.

the pilot says he's worried because his aircraft ISN'T leaking any oil.

ATC asks the pilot to report his position and it's the same report he gave 15 minutes ago.

you are charged with five landing fees but you've only visited the place once.

the tower requests you to increase your speed in the circuit- and you can't.

the longest leg on a trip is determined not by the amount of fuel in the tanks, but by the amount of padding in the pilot's backside.

the pilot describes a ground loop as a normal aerobatic manoeuvre.

the landing roll is completed before its even reached the runway numbers.

the pilot complains he can't read the compass because the mirror's broken.

the engineer charges £50 for calibrating the instruments, and £800 for changing the bungees.

the pilot enters his ETA on the flight plan as "Wednesday".

your car costs more than your aeroplane.

the pilot mistakes the local aero modeller's airstrip for the real thing.

the glider pilot behind you releases the tow rope because he figures he can climb faster without the tug.

every place you've landed has an oil spot on the tarmac.

the Air Force pilot sent out to intercept you decides to configure his targeting computer for a stationary object.

you slow down for your final approach, and the Cessna-driver sitting alongside you glances at the airspeed indicator, turns white, and starts praying.

you make an error of navigation, and instead of Violating Controlled Airspace, you just irritate it a little.

you're charged with polluting the airfield, and the engine wasn't even running.

the pilot reports turning downwind and the tower controller sets his alarm clock to remind himself to issue a landing clearance.

the pilot thinks his carbon footprint is the puddle his aircraft leaves on the hard standing.

CAA charges you with low flying and your defence is that you were operating at your service ceiling.

40 apparently identical aeroplanes turn up at a fly-in but no two of them are the same model.