F-100 Super Sabre

Thread: F-100 Super Sabre

Hybrid View

F-100 Super Sabre

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any plans to release an F-100 Super Sabre for FSX? I feel like this is an airplane which is truly lacking in our hangers. As the first supersonic front line fighter of the free world it has a special place in the hearts of many aviators.

I could not find any threads about the Super Sabre here on SOH. A few years ago I bought the donationware F-100 for 2004, but have had a hard time getting it to work in FSX... there seems to be a texture problem in the VC where the left side of the instrument panel is overlaying the gauges. Perhaps there is a fix for this. It would be great, however, to see a detailed and native fsx F-100 that had full systems functionality and could be flown without drop tanks and without a refueling probe.......... oh how I wish......

Garner

Oh, kindred spirits, lol. The F-100 was the first Fighter I worked on after Tech School in the mid 60's. 2yrs at Wheelus AFB, Tripoli , Libya and all the F-100's I could handle, lol. I've been harping on this point for several years now and it simply falls on deaf ears. It's like, yea the F-100 was the first of the Century Series. . . .but. . .I like the 102, I like the 104, oooh how about the 106 or the 101. . . .lol. Yea, ok. . .so could we get back to the one that started it all instead? lol.:isadizzy:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

It is criminal that we don't have a great F-100...... they don't make them like they used to, bare shiny metal, a one stage afterburner, no flaps, and a handful to fly. I wonder if FSX could even come close to simulating the challenging nature of landing the bird.

Speaking of Tripoli, you've probably seen this video montage of the base:

It reminds me of the way that F-100 driver James Salter ended his book GODS OF TIN:

Never another sunburned face in Tripoli looking up at you as you taxi to a stop, the expression asking, ship OK? A thumb raised, OK. And the dying whine, like a great sigh, of the engine shutting down, the needles on the gauges collapsing. It is over.

Garner

Wow, I'm a little speechless right now. . .that video caught me by surprise. I have a lot of wonderful memories of Wheelus and that was an emotional trip back for me. Thank you very much. . .I'd never seen that video before this evening.

There is a lot of history to the base, things that happened in history while I was stationed there that will always be a part of me. It was a great 2 years and the F-100 has always been my single favorite Fighter, despite having worked on many others over the years, including the F-16, which was my last.

You probably know this, but Mitiga (HLLM) in FSX is Wheelus AFB. You can find it on Google Earth and get a pretty good idea of the size of the base, the barracks and many other structures from the original base are still visible.:salute::salute:

Current System Specs:

I'm glad you enjoyed the video. My father used to take F-100s there for gunnery practice when he was in the 22nd squadron, 36th wing at Bitburg.

Yes, I know Mitiga.... aside from the F-100, i've also wanted someone to do a nice cold-war scenery for Wheelus, complete with static aircraft. If you look hard enough on the internet you can find some good maps of the layout of the base, combined with many photos from servicemen and their families. I think it would be possible for a scenery developer to put something together.... I've dabbled with the idea of re-making the field into Wheelus, but I don't have the ability to model the necessary static aircraft.

I may be wrong but I believe that Michael Davies great model of the F-100 was "given" over to Razbam.... Anyone remember this?

Quote Originally Posted by skyblazer3 View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed the video. My father used to take F-100s there for gunnery practice when he was in the 22nd squadron, 36th wing at Bitburg.

Yes, I know Mitiga.... aside from the F-100, i've also wanted someone to do a nice cold-war scenery for Wheelus, complete with static aircraft. If you look hard enough on the internet you can find some good maps of the layout of the base, combined with many photos from servicemen and their families. I think it would be possible for a scenery developer to put something together.... I've dabbled with the idea of re-making the field into Wheelus, but I don't have the ability to model the necessary static aircraft.
    I was there from 1966 to 1968 so we probably crossed paths in some form or fashion. He would have been flying on the Range called "El Huatia" (sp) in the Sahara. I had only been at the base a week or two when I volunteered to go with a recovery crew to pick up the pieces of an F-4 that had crashed on the range. The pilot got "target lock" and dove his aircraft right into the ground. There wasn't much left.

I've been working off and on with the scenery at Wheelus. I have the photoscenery in place and some of the barracks and school buildings, but haven't progressed much in quite a while. I sent to the National Archives and they sent me copies of all the pics they had of the Base. I've got a lot that can't be accessed just through the internet.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by skyblazer3 View Post
    I feel like this is an airplane which is truly lacking in our hangers.
    Well, so is a native 737-200, DC-8, MiG-23, Do-728, Dash 8, etc...

The best was to make sure to get one into FSX (in case some developer isn't working on one already) is learning GMax and doing the job yourself.