OT: Do you like trains?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: OT: Do you like trains?

OT: Do you like trains?

There is a nice Railworks discount on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/3087/

Just bought it, I hope it will be nice replacement for unreleased MSTS2...

I would love feedback on this one, talk about a great price! Thanks for the heads up.

Matt

Oh wow I didnt need to see that! I been looking into this for a while. After msts2 went by the wayside I had been hoping for a train sim. I hope this sale goes on for a little bit, as id like to get feedback on it!

gajit
    Hi

Thanks very much for the HU. I have been thinking of getting it for some time so am now downloading

Please post feedback.........................thanks in advance.

Matt

I've downloaded game already, but haven't time to play yet. I'm assembling new bed for my daughter.

I'll try to play in the evening.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    excellent deal
    thanks for the HU
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Blog Entries
    I noticed they have Union Pacific in there.. Do they have any of union pacifics A-B power lash ups like the gas turbines or the early GE's??

If it has a community like ours then the possibilities are endless. I don't know how easy that is though if your running it thru steam.

Wonder how long that deal lasts? Payday is next week...
    That's really a great deal. I've been contemplating Railworks for some time.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

It's worth it for that price. I don't use it much but every now and then I fire it up and go training!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dsawan
    Only like military trains. especially with arty and flak guns like Germany used and European countries in WW2. Having to dodge aircraft must be kinda fun.

OK, I've played for a moment with easy settings, and I like it. I'd prefer to play with Polish rolling stock, but there is nothing for Railworks, most of Polish communities are gathered around MSTS and Trainz, which I don't like (I guess I'll have to make my own models ), but there are many different locomotives in Railworks to keep me busy for a while. Graphics are OK, just lighting and shadows could be better. Here are few screenshots I did in free roam mode. I love that little steam engine

@Dain Arns - their newsletter says - offers run between 5-14th March.

Sadly enough I do my Dad has a massive collection and a 00 gauge layout he spends more than I do on this (I mean flight sim) 80 to 100 quid on 1 train at times, he loves the Hornby class 08 and Bachmann modern stuff, he doesn't like the steam era, I do though , so we've got a massive collection worth litterally 1000's of quid but a board thats only 4 by 3 lol and thats foot not meters!

Unfortunately I cannot get him to use a computer he hates technology and doesn't drive has no mobile phone and won't even reconise a PC lol, he's an engineeer of old and only believes in laithes and hammers lol!

that last shot Embeck is that a PUG?

I LOVE trains.

thanks for the heads up!

-G-

Happiness Consultant
    I like trains, but I'm into the old steamers of a century or two gone by now. (1800s ... 1860 - 1865 in particular)
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Blog Entries
    really didnt like having to join steam, and their fonts are impossible to read, even on a big screen, but ,, i was bad.. i got it .. downloading now.. its a nice break from doing numbers all day i think.. and since i dont have a room or garage to set up an N-scale layout, this will do nicely i think.. ..

Happiness Consultant
    Lemme know, can you build your own lines?
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Lemme know, can you build your own lines?
    yes you can but you have to be smarter than I:isadizzy:
    that only leaves 99.9% of the world
    would love to have a LNER track from liverpool st to Kings lynn
    or for that matter a KCS track in the us
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Blog Entries
    I've been able to locate a community of sorts here .. http://railworksamerica.com/fl/rts.html They have files, models, tutorials, buch of stuff, but its still kinda confusing.. seems they use 3D canvas to create models. Maybe Gmax or Max isnt out of the picture. i dont know,,, Gonna keep looking for other communities as well.. there must be at least a few..

Blog Entries
    Henry: This may interest you and others too..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24021/

PS can we move this to the off topic forum?? its a good thread but shouldnt be here..
    Thanks
    Pam

more decent reading:: http://www.railsimdownloads.com/file...Manual_Web.pdf

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Thanks for the heads up Empeck. Looks awesome.

Is this sim easier then MSTS?

With MSTS, I kept getting shut down on routes with auto-brakes. Hard to finish a route. Dropped it after a couple of days of trying.

(I want to run the train, not hone my abilities to work on speed limit signs and deceleration abilities)...

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I have been using Railworks since it was released, great product! As for Steam, I didn't really care for it at first but it does make it easy for keeping the game up to date and I have bought some pretty nice add-ons for RW there. There are some other really good routes out there, the Colton and Northern is a really good one as is the Rascal and Cottonwood. Isle of Wight is magnificent and is one of my personal favorites.. Bought this package not to long ago and it is very good as well, http://store.steampowered.com/app/24031/ .
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by peter12213 View Post
    that last shot Embeck is that a PUG?
    It's 0-4-0ST Saddle Tank locomotive. It's a payware locomotive bundled with the pack.

Henry - yes you can build new routes, new rolling stock. There is even a channel on the youtube with videotutorials for Railworks editor:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RailSimulatorDotCom

And a wiki with docs:

http://www.railsimdownloads.com/wiki/tiki-index.php

warchild - Gmax is not supported, but there are plugins for 3dsMAX. Very good British community is here: http://forums.uktrainsim.com/

I wasn't a fan of Steam too, until their holiday discounts, hehe. Now I have few games there and I even like it.

Blog Entries
    welll, i gotta admit. after taking a run up through cajun pass i figured i'd try and fnd some nice US routes ( where i can drive my new centenial ) but alas, i cant find squat for america.. plenty for Britain, germany even argentina, but nothing for america.. thats when i decided i'd give it a go making a cross contry line someday ( like UP ) and start with part of the rock island line out of chicago.. heh.. theres no chocago.. the rail designer is flatter than a board.. I'm lost ::lol:..
    Knowing the "siim" community though, and seeing how much fun this can be, i fully expect over the next cou7ple years, there'll be addons galore, and maybe even a multi-player mode where maps can be shared and everyone be on the dame page alll at once.. it'd be cool (especially as i drive up in that monster )

i will say his much. Everything about the game is extremely complex, except for driving the trains, which is dirt simple .. It's a great game.. I've been up all night enjoying it..