Taylorcraft Plus C - the very first Auster

Thread: Taylorcraft Plus C - the very first Auster

Taylorcraft Plus C - the very first Auster

Released today over at www.classicbritishfiles.com is Dave Molyneaux's latest Auster creation, the Taylorcraft Model C.

In 1937, a British gentleman called Lance Wykes travelled to the States and met a previous acquaintance - Mr C.G. Taylor. Mr Taylor had emigrated to America from Nottingham in the 1920s and had designed aeroplanes in partnership with Mr W T Piper. In 1936, the partnership was dissolved, with Mr Piper forming the now famous Piper Aircraft Corporation and Mr Taylor established the Taylor-Young Aeroplane Corporation to produce the Taylorcraft Model A.

Mr Wykes completed a license agreement for manufacture of the Taylorcraft in the UK. The formation of Taylorcraft Aeroplanes (England) Ltd was completed in 1938. A fuselage jig, a set of drawings, technical information and material summaries were bought and shipped from America, together with a complete Taylorcraft Model B aeroplane G-AFKO.

The first British built example become known as the Taylorcraft Model C which incorporated improvements to the Models A and B and also used the British equivalents to replace the American material standards. The engine was a Lycoming 0-145-A2 of 55hp. Since the facilities for stress analysis were meagre, the aircraft was somewhat heavier due to stronger wooden wing spars and steel fuselage tubing.

The example see in Dave's package is G-AFUY which had the c/n 112 and which was later impressed into RAF service in the communications role. Both models are herewith, lovingly been recreated from period material and a number of original photos.

With a wonderfully accurate flight model by Brian Horsey and a lovely soundset from Gary Jones, I hope you find this new 'Auster' a worthy addition to your virtual hangars.

Happy Landings,

Martin

Sweet!!! Off to D/L now! It looks kind of like a Piper J4 or an Aeronca Chief...or maybe...a Taylorcraft BC-12
    Lookin' good in any case.:ernae:

Cedar Key - Or so Old John MacDonald would say
    beautiful video Claudius

I've sent you a PM

Leif

Thanks for the H/U, Martin! Looks like Dave produced another beauty.
    Brent aka "dogknot"

Hello Folks
    Just a heads up -- Peter Watkins has just issued 6 repaints of Daves Plus C all in US registrations for the BL65
    as he says the differences are negligble between the US and UK versions

available at www.classicbritishfiles.com

Leif

Cute nastalgia there. Nicely modeled and flys great too.

It's always been a mystery to me why the Taylorcraft line always had the wings on upside down. I'm thinking it must have been done to offset having to trim the plane as speed built up. I remember the famous Duane Cole's favorite was the Taylorcraft. I guess those inverted camber wings came in handy for flying inverted for him.

Anyone know any history as to why the inverted wing camber with the Taylor design?

The main wing airfoil is the NACA 23012. The bottom is a bit rounded compared to the semi-flat wings of the Cubs and such so it gives you that upside down look. That was one of Taylor's changes to make his airplane faster than the Pipers for the same horsepower. The 23012 was used on the Beech Bonanzaa and King Airs as well. It's claim to fame was that you usually could use a smaller tail with it and reduce drag a bit more.
    I had a BC-12D taylorcraft years ago and it was somewhat faster than the Cubs but they could always get off shorter than my ship. And once in ground effect if the airspeed was a but high you would float and float along the runway.

Fond memories!

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Looks like a real beauty!

Thanks for the heads up.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Server must be having problems. I can't complete a full download. Multiple tries and file keeps ending before complete.

Maximum amount of file downloaded only 7mb. Sometimes only 1-2mb before shut-off.:isadizzy:

Yes, I have high speed internet.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Hi,

No probs on my side .. download work perfect !

Working now, got a good download.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

My first post.....nice to know the Auster's ready. I've been using Björn Büchner's Auster MkV in its original WWII South African Air Force livery for a long ti,e now. It's a little beauty but lonely

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymoth View Post
    My first post.....nice to know the Auster's ready. I've been using Björn Büchner's Auster MkV in its original WWII South African Air Force livery for a long ti,e now. It's a little beauty but lonely
    Do a search on their site and y'all find a whole mess of Auster variations along with many add-on liveries available. The biggest problem is deciding on which one to fly on a given outing.
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

We're not finished yet
    My intention is to build the complete lineage. That way folks can pick & fly their favourite from their younger days. However it seems everybody who's flown in one likes a different one - which is really how the project started.
    Fortunately, I'm greatly helped by 'the team' - Martin, Leif and Brian.
    Cheers
    Dave M(oly)

Wow! That would be great if you can do it. I want to thank you for the great job you have done. All versions are great. The latest (Plus C) brings back fond memories of my own US T-crate, a BC-65D.

Thanks Again!

What a wonderful video....very impressed indeed and brings back a lot of memories of flying these aeroplanes.....not that it was that long ago as spent last weekend in an Alpha and an Aiglet Trainer.

And now that we have the chief sim designer - Dave Molyneaux amongst our ranks, I'd just like to make my thanks known for all his efforts and that of Brian Horsey (his FDE man) in making such wonderful replicas of what at times are members of a forgotten British classic design. Although I am as said part of the Team - supplying photos, technical manuals, flying characteristics and info etc, I take my hat off to these gentlemen in giving me (and I hope you), hours of fun reliving past experiences and virtual sim flying.

Its so nice to be able to fly something so realistic on the sim, that one is luckily able to do in real life. I look forward in assisting as much as I can with the future projects.

Happy Landings,

Martin

Norm

If you hadn't noticed Peter Watkins has done some nice paints of Dave Plus C masquerading as a BL65

If you have a photo (colour preferably of your BC65 Im sure he would oblige )

And also thank you Claude for another excellent Auster video.

Modlr -- as usual not sure why this happens with the download -- the site owner has looked at it several times
    and it appears to be something to do with the connection -- anytime you or anyone for that matter has problems
    downloading I will be glad to get them the file one way or the other quickly. We want everyone to enjoy the
    treasures we have amassed at Classic British Files.

As to Austers - Im a bit perplexed -- Dave and the guys have produced a bunch of marques albeit for FS9
    and they just keep getting better.....I suppose you have to have lived around Austers to really appreicate them

Leif

Quote Originally Posted by normb View Post
    The main wing airfoil is the NACA 23012. The bottom is a bit rounded compared to the semi-flat wings of the Cubs and such so it gives you that upside down look. That was one of Taylor's changes to make his airplane faster than the Pipers for the same horsepower. The 23012 was used on the Beech Bonanzaa and King Airs as well. It's claim to fame was that you usually could use a smaller tail with it and reduce drag a bit more.
    I had a BC-12D taylorcraft years ago and it was somewhat faster than the Cubs but they could always get off shorter than my ship. And once in ground effect if the airspeed was a but high you would float and float along the runway.

Fond memories!
    Thanks for that interesting info normb. That was something that always had me puzzled. You explained it very nicley.