Megascenery Earth Oregon

Thread: Megascenery Earth Oregon

Megascenery Earth Oregon

I hadn't seen any mention of it here yet so I thought I would just let everyone know the western half of Oregon is out. Portland looks pretty good and the coast is beautiful!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

I seen the oregon megaearth scenery earth. The question I have is how does this compare with the new ftx northwest scenery. I have around fourteen sections of megaearth for washington,arizona and california. The pictures of the columbia gorge look great with ftx. The colors with the megaearth are all washed out compared to ftx nothwest.

Quote Originally Posted by olaf1924 View Post
    I seen the oregon megaearth scenery earth. The question I have is how does this compare with the new ftx northwest scenery. I have around fourteen sections of megaearth for washington,arizona and california. The pictures of the columbia gorge look great with ftx. The colors with the megaearth are all washed out compared to ftx nothwest.
    My guess is there is no comparison between the two. First of all, as you mentioned, Megascenery Earth is washed out in many cases and doesn't match well at all with even imagery I can get from Virtual Earth. Secondly, Megascenery Earth does a moderate job of inserting autogen into it's tiles, but it's sparse and does little to make the overall effect very realistic at low level.

The PNW Release is professionally done, much time and effort was put into every area of the release and the differences would be like night and day.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I hope it's better than the Louisiana scenery. That just plain sucked.

PNW is top notch.
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

It really is an apples and oranges comparison. If they put the kind of man-hours into Megascenery Earth that the Orbx crew did to FTX, it'd be pretty amazing too. For what it is, I guess it's fine.

tigisfat
    They need to have a team editing the photography they get, and they need to have a team lining airports up before I buy a darn thing from those jokers. All my flights begin and/or end at airports, and why would I want to climb out over misplaced cartoons?

NoNewMessages
    Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    They need to have a team editing the photography they get, and they need to have a team lining airports up before I buy a darn thing from those jokers. All my flights begin and/or end at airports, and why would I want to climb out over misplaced cartoons?
    I have to chuckle a bit, as I agree with the concept. I made a test area this AM and flew over to it. Lined up for landing at the airport and saw buildings on the photo runway? Looked for the FSX runway and it was a "few" feet further south, say 300-500'? Diverted myself to the SDK runway and just wondered about the accuracy in FSX sometimes. This wasn't some small strip out in the boonies, it's what I refer to as a K-field, sitting in a midsized town in central U.S..

Quote Originally Posted by LCSims View Post
    . . . . .Looked for the FSX runway and it was a "few" feet further south, say 300-500'? Diverted myself to the SDK runway and just wondered about the accuracy in FSX sometimes. This wasn't some small strip out in the boonies, it's what I refer to as a K-field, sitting in a midsized town in central U.S..
    I was questioned more than once in the "developers" website about why I would move the rwy in FSX to match the satellite imagery and not the other way around. . .I thought the answer was pretty obvious, lol.

Current System Specs:

MCDesigns
    Agreed and the sad thing is, it's not hard work to do this, just very tedious, time consuming work.
    I wonder how long it would take a team to do all the US in 30cm/pixel imagery with full autogen and corrected airports, probably quite awhile, but man how I'd love to have that.

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Agreed and the sad thing is, it's not hard work to do this, just very tedious, time consuming work.
    I wonder how long it would take a team to do all the US in 30cm/pixel imagery with full autogen and corrected airports, probably quite awhile, but man how I'd love to have that.
    Oy, screw the time it would take... think of the filesize! Many, many terabytes would be required to do the whole country at that res. Having struggled to load even smallish phototerrain files into Photoshop, it makes me want to crawl under my desk with a bottle just pondering it.

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    Oy, screw the time it would take... think of the filesize! Many, many terabytes would be required to do the whole country at that res. Having struggled to load even smallish phototerrain files into Photoshop, it makes me want to crawl under my desk with a bottle just pondering it.
    LMAO, to true Bill
    From a users perspective, I'd be happy to install a few terrabyte drives to experience it though
    Speaking of tedious autogen, hows that free addon for Portland coming, LOL (ducks under the desk )

NoNewMessages
    The following may or may not be true...

One smaller mid-sized state, extreme source. Downloaded is 450 gb. Working size would be approx. 5tbs, with a capital T. Compiled, ready to sell would have to be delivered on a 640gb hd. How many crazy people would pay a premium price for that?

Uh, Mr. Carr, shall I put you down for one copy or two?

P.S. Falcon409 has volunteered to do the autogen....

tigisfat
    I'd pay 500 dollars for North America in photoreal with lined up airports.

I don't pay for photoreal without the airports lined up. I bought the FSDreamscapes scenery of Utah because they promised to line up the airports in the future. It was sold as a 'beta', and prebuyers would have access to the final version for free. I fell for it. One year later, I emailed them to ask where my updates were. He said, I BS you not, that I was welcome to fix it myself, and that he had moved on to other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by LCSims View Post
    . . . . . .P.S. Falcon409 has volunteered to do the autogen....
    Ahhhh, covering the world with little trees and houses, lol

Current System Specs:

NoNewMessages
    I'd pay 500 dollars for North America in photoreal with lined up airports.

I don't pay for photoreal without the airports lined up. I bought the FSDreamscapes scenery of Utah because they promised to line up the airports in the future. It was sold as a 'beta', and prebuyers would have access to the final version for free. I fell for it. One year later, I emailed them to ask where my updates were. He said, I BS you not, that I was welcome to fix it myself, and that he had moved on to other projects.

Pssst.... Someone did put all the airports in the right place.

Spent two days doing Hill AFB, then the compiler spit it back out because I had too much detail. Darn SDKs!

Sorry you got burnt on the hype. Some of us don't operate that way.

I bought the Western half of Oregon last weekend and spent the day flying from Bend Oregon, over to Albany and then on down to Eugene.. I like it. I did decide to dress up Astoria a little bit by adding some ships and landmarks, but in all it looks pretty good.

How about some screenshots? I'm curious.

How about some screenshots? I'm curious.
    Me too! It would figure that they got the color better after I bought most of New Jersey, lol. . .that was one of the first areas they did and it was less than impressive.

Current System Specs:

Here are some pics

First one is over Astoria, second two are Portland, third is another shot climbing out of KAST, and lastly over Eugene.

Yep, much nicer than the Jersey Tiles I purchased. . . .go figure, lol

Current System Specs:

tigisfat
    It sure does look like the runways line up. Whattaya think, gdavis101? IS that ttypical or are there plenty that don't?

It sure does look like the runways line up. Whattaya think, gdavis101? IS that ttypical or are there plenty that don't?
    I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it and have only been to a few of the different airports, Newport and Florence match up well.

SOH-CM-2024
    Can I counter:

Orbx PNW

PNW looks so nice, and Bill's airport, OMG! I came pretty close to just removing all of my photo scenery, but after spending the $$ on Washington when it came out it just came down to what I had already spent on software. Had PNW been all of Washington and all of Oregon I would have been on it faster than flies on, well you know.. Someday in the future maybe, but not right now.