How much RAM for FSX?

Thread: How much RAM for FSX?

How much RAM for FSX?

2, 3 or 4 gig? I've read that 4 is not fully utilised that 2 is not enough and that 3 gig of ram is ideal for FSX...is this correct? I currently have 2 gigs of RAM and thinking of putting another 1 or 2 gigs of RAM in.

Well, I think it depends on your OS. I have 6GB of RAM on a 64 bit system. The first 1.2GB are used just by the operating system, therefor with FSX running, it puts me over 4GB of usage at times. A conventional 32 bit system likely wouldn't have this problem.

I do however recommend 4-6GB (and multiples of 3 if you are using an i7 system). I believe no less than 5GB for a 64bit OS.

OK thanks for that - I only have a 32 bit OS with Window XP home on a AMD 4400 2.3ghz dual core with a 1gb 9800GT GPU.

Naki, for what it's worth I am running Vista 64 with FSX and 6GB of DDR3 and it's fast for me! No stutters and it is very smooth. I also have fps set at max which seemed to help alot. For me I played with the % of plane, auto and boat traffic and it made a huge difference for my set up.

As far as how much memory? Who can say considering how many different setups are running FS9 and FSX. Sometimes two exact machines will run differently as I've been a witness to that.

Personally, I would say 4 GB minimum.

i7 920 @ 2.66 ghz
    Asus motherboard
    2 320GB Seagates in Raid 0,
    ATI 4850 512 MB,
    Creative sound card
    Logitech Z-5500

Windows 7 64bit
    NVIDIA XFX 9800+ 512MB
    SOUND X-Fi Fatality
    3 HD (2 SATA2 + 1 IDE)
    Corsair 550W
    M3N-HT Deluxe mempip

I was be used 5gb ram but this is be to much, so retired 1Gb

and now with my 4GB RAM CORSAIR 800 nothing is different :mixedsmi:

Blog Entries
    I use XP-64 with 4 gigs and it runs find.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

When I had my 4GB machine for 64 bit, it ran fine. I do recommend slightly more overhead however if you plan on doing anything else, like if you have a second monitor or have background programs running. Just my $0.02.

Cheers and good luck.

I still use XP Home 32 bit, so I am limited in the amount of RAM that I can use. I had been using 2GB (2 x 1GB DDR-800) and that was "ok", but I felt I could do better. RAM is cheap these days, so I purchased new memory, 2 x 2 GB DDR-800, so I would have 4 GB. My operating system reports seeing 3.5 GB and this is normal for a 32 bit OS. Moving from 2 GB up to 4 GB did not improve my frame rates, but it seems to have greatly reduced stutters. In short, I think if you are running a 32 bit operating system, then go ahead and install 4 GB of RAM, preferably two 2 GB sticks as that configuration uses less energy, generates less heat and usually runs slightly faster than four 1 GB sticks. If you have a 64 bit operating system, then you should not have anything less than 4 GB of RAM.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0