Who runs on DirectX 10?

View Poll Results: What DirectX do you run in FSX?

Voters
625. You may not vote on this poll
  • DirectX 9

466 74.56%
  • DirectX 10

159 25.44%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who runs on DirectX 10?

Question Who runs on DirectX 10?

Just wondering? I get flashing runways and the like using DX10.
    Is there a fix?

Ben
    SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit |PSU - CoolMaster 1000Watt Gold edition |MoBo - Asus Sabertooth X79 |CPU - Intel i7 3930K OC (4.6 GHz) |Display - ATI Gigabyte 7970 HD |3X4GB G.Skill |Controls - TM HOTAS WARTHOG (Serial No. 4523) Saitek Rudder Pedals |TrackIR 4 Pro

Yes, a fix has been discovered, http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=267998.

I don´t personally use it, as AA is not available as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltzei View Post
    . . . . .I don´t personally use it, as AA is not available as far as I know.
    Same here, also I fly a lot of portover aircraft, most of which are not compatible in DXT10. . .and finally, I haven't really seen anything in DXT10 that just knocks my socks off in terms of visuals. Had the ACES Team continued on we might have seen more from it with the next release of Flight Sim, but now, I don't think DXT10 and it's full potential will see the light of day any time soon..
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

DX10 here....my OS and GPU are geared for it, and I see a HUGE difference in visuals and see an extra 10 FPS over DX9. Yes, my runways flicker, although not all of them, and I am slowly updating the airports I frequent with the fix mentioned above. If I had to fly in DX9, I probably would not fly in FSX.

PS: Antialiasing is available for me... I'm running Vista 64bit and an EVGA GTX 260 gpu.

It is too bad that the we'll likely never see the full potential of DX10, and its only a half arsed effort at this point, but for me it is an improvement.

I to run DX10, the flicker is not an issue as I spend most of the time in the air. DX10 does offer better water textures and I think clouds shadowing as well.

Agreed that is also rund smoother than DX9.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysundog View Post
    . . . . .PS: Antialiasing is available for me... I'm running Vista 64bit and an EVGA GTX 260 gpu. . . . .
    Let us know how you did that. I haven't run DX10 one time where I was ever able to get AA to work. The fps increase is more on a system by system basis really and not an "across the board" guarantee with everyone who runs DX10. I would wager that if the poll remains skewed to those who don't run DX10, I would bet that one of the reasons is that they don't see any real advantage over DX9 as far as fps is concerned. If I could get a 10fps increase automatically by switching to DX10, I'd have done that a long time ago. Also as I mentioned in my first post, I fly a lot of ports. I have around 50 basic aircraft (not included variations of each and also not including the default FSX aircraft) and of those a little more than 30 are port overs. None of them are compatible with DX10 and I enjoy them too much to dump them for the few gains I might see in DX10.

Current System Specs:

Run DX10 here. No problems with AA. The fix for flickering runways works like a charm. No going back now.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I run both
    just depends on what and where i am flying
    but DX10 does give me grief with my video memory
    and freezes after a while
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

I'm not going to vote yet as the jury is still out for me. Ever since I went from xp to w7x64 I have been suffering from only having 2gb of memory. I have an extra 4gb coming tomorrow so after that I'll test dx10 out. The breif time I used it I noticed some improved visuals and while there was no aa in the aircraft preview window in free flight, in game I had aa. No idea how I got it really. I didn't know there was a fix for the flickering. I might have to check it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Let us know how you did that. I haven't run DX10 one time where I was ever able to get AA to work. The fps increase is more on a system by system basis really and not an "across the board" guarantee with everyone who runs DX10. I would wager that if the poll remains skewed to those who don't run DX10, I would bet that one of the reasons is that they don't see any real advantage over DX9 as far as fps is concerned. If I could get a 10fps increase automatically by switching to DX10, I'd have done that a long time ago. Also as I mentioned in my first post, I fly a lot of ports. I have around 50 basic aircraft (not included variations of each and also not including the default FSX aircraft) and of those a little more than 30 are port overs. None of them are compatible with DX10 and I enjoy them too much to dump them for the few gains I might see in DX10.
    No trick to get it to work, just select DX10 and restart the flightsim. I do believe you have to have a 200 generation Nvidia card for it to work tho, I cant comment on ATI as i've never owned one. I think the drivers used are important as well. I DONT use Nhancer, because that doesnt work at all for me, just the default nvidia settings menu. AA does not work in the FreeFlight select aircraft menu...I attribute that to the DX10 being 'half-done'.

I have to take back the comment on DX10 getting 10 better frames however, I just ran another bench and witnessed comparable frames in both 9 + 10....but I dont know when that changed, it used to be worse in 9...must have been a driver/setting change. DX10 still looks better, so I will still use it.

Its really to bad we wont likely see a 'patch' to fully implement DX10, I'm sure there are many more enhancements we could see.

DX9 here! Why? I am using the ENBseries fix to improve visuals and omit bloom and water configurator which does not work in DX10. Moreover I dislike the flickering very much as the light artificial water-color and overal hue of the graphics. Looks very gamish and artificial to me.

But I must admit I like the definite gain in FPS I get when using DX10 once in a while!

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

I have an 8800 gts and I have aa in dx10. I had to set aa mode to enhance application setting to get it though.

FSX was designed for DX9. That's what I use.

6297J
    I have always only run in DX10 mode. The performance benefit is huge for me and the slight flickering of taxiways is no distraction whatsoever as I spend minimal time on the ground.
    I have tried DX9 and everything looks dull in comparison and the performance is noticeably worse. And I can't think of a single aircraft add-on I miss from the DX9 only days.

Q9650, Rampage Formula, 8GB Ram, HD4870X2

I use DX10, too, as it just works better, water looks way better, as well as the framerates. I can use bloom without it having a big effect on FPS. In DX9 my base frames were lower, and I lost about 10fps when enabling bloom. Anti-Aliasing is no problem for me either, only in the free flight preview window, I have an image without anti-aliasing, in flight everything is fine. That is on a FX8600GT.... The contra is flickering, disturbing sometimes, but I don´t mind it too much, and the loss of the visual taxi instructions, but as I am very rarely on bigger airports, I don´t mind it much either.

I do miss some older addons, but I couldn´t afford the framerate loss anyway, so at least I quickly see what works and what not in DX10....
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

To be honest, I have yet to enable DX10 mode since I installed FSX. Since it was billed as a preview I guess my thinking is I'm not missing that much.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Question

Do you mean if we run DX10 on our PC or the FSX Preview Mode when simming, the latter requiring DX10 ??? There IS a difference, you know.....
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Sometimes I turn on DX10 along with a few extra features. Usually this is off though because I use NVidia's 3D shutter glasses, and that does not work with the DX10 preview feature (along with light bloom I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    AA is limited to 2x in DX10, so no thanks.
    Yes, but that 2x AA in DX10 mode is just as good as 8xQ AA in DX9....with less of a hit to frames.....So yes please and thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    To be honest, I have yet to enable DX10 mode since I installed FSX. Since it was billed as a preview I guess my thinking is I'm not missing that much.
    . . .and you would be right Odie. It probably had a lot of potential and some folks find an increase in fps with it, but across the board it's not something you've just gotta have.

Current System Specs:

DX10 here. Enjoy the better visuals, and couldn't live without the 10 fps frame rate boost given that I fly so often in the Seattle area.

DX10 = no AA in FSX last I tried it.

Don't like having saw blades for wings.

DX9 for me I guess. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by cvearl View Post
    DX10 = no AA in FSX last I tried it.

Don't like having saw blades for wings.

DX9 for me I guess. For now.

No AA in DX10????

YOU ARE WRONG.

Quote Originally Posted by crazysundog View Post
    Yes, but that 2x AA in DX10 mode is just as good as 8xQ AA in DX9...
    Err no.

2*AA will always be inferior to 8*AA, no matter the DX version.