FSX GOLD Edition

Thread: FSX GOLD Edition

FSX GOLD Edition

I just ordered this from Amazon and it comes with FSX delux(I have the budget FSX as I couldn't afford the $100 version) and Acceleration. I plan on deleting my current version of FSX,which is no biggie because I haven't added anything to it.What I want to know is this... are there any issues with this version/add-on and Win XP....I know I should upgrade to Win 7 that will come later,I have been reading the Amazon reviews/horror stories....a Lot of people there seem to have had some really bad problems with it...but then again I don't think many(if any)knew of the excellent resource that SOH is.BTW......I don't have any issues with the version of FSX I have.

harleyman
    XP will run FSX and Acceleration perfect....

I should upgrade to Win 7 also, but until I have some spare cash, I'll be staying with XP, which runs FSX just fine.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Only suggestion I have is uninstall FSX old copy and reboot.

Once back at the desktop, delete the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" folder found under "_:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\" on your computer. So nothing old is left behind.

Then install FSX Gold. It's 2 disks for Deluxe and 1 for Acceleration. Once FSX Deluxe is installed and you have entered your key, start it once. Start the default flight once. Don't bother playing with anything yet. Just end the flight and exit and reboot the computer.

Then install Acceleration once you are back up, add the key and start the default flight again.

Now go ahead and start setting up your settings.

I followed that routine and it has been golden since. No pun intended. I since bought and added REX 2.0, Tongass X and UTX Canada and a handfull of aircraft and it has been rock solid.

I too am on XP so that I can have vSync forced in my video card and DX10 Preview mode does not have AA anyway which I cannot live without.

If you have a widescreen, do not forget to fix the fsx.cfg file (back it up first) and put that "WideViewAspect=True" statement in the [DISPLAY] section.

It's here in XP ... _:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

Charles.

I reformatted so I know I got rid of everything...lol ....also, I don't know what all those people at Amazon were whining about....the Gold pk works without a hitch. Really happy with all the added aircraft which the delux and acceleration pk have added...Was wondering,the Grumman Goose has a ton of torque steer to the left...I mean a bunch,is this correct flight modeling? The plane is very flyable but on takeoff....WOW! Almost like cross controlling to take off.

harleyman
    No thats not normal...Check your condition levers , and make sure that both engines are at 100% for take off.They might be off...

Also with what was stated above for your FSX install..you should always defreagg after FSX before Acceleration install then after too.

Shakenama

Icon5

Also would recommend updating to the FSX Service Packs as well.Both FSX SP1 and SP2 take care of "Third-party add-on issues, Performance enhancements, Content issues and Multiplayer issues"

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Banned
    Hi,

You don't require SP2 with the gold edition, everything in SP2 is included on the accelerator disk.

Cheers :ernae:
    Lindsay

FSX All Different Versions..

Educate me!!
    I've got the Boxed Set of FSX Deluxe Edition.
    I've read on various Flight Sim sites that FSX Deluxe is "suppose" to already include the SP1 and SP2.. another person said the Deluxe is a later version than "Acceleration" and I'm lead to believe that "Gold" has it all..
    The SOH posts seem to say that Deluxe is an earlier version than Acceleration and "Gold" is just Deluxe with Acceleration on a third disk and no mention of SP1 and SP2
    It should go without saying, that I'm confused.
    When it comes to adding aircraft and scenery, should I avoid those marked "FSX, Acceleration" or does that mean they will work in both?
    In short, is there anything I need to look for, be concerned about, not used, etc., with respect to adding planes and scenery?
    My system is running an AMD x2 Dual Core 5000+ AM2 CPU, a Fatal1ty 8500GT GPU w/Dual Monitors, a 750 Watt PSU, Four Gigs of DDR2 RAM, 250Gig SATA HDD (I'm only using 58Gigs), three Tornado 80mm fans on individual controllers (one Goezinta, one Goezouta, and one directly over the CPU) and am running XP Pro SP3 (32bit).
    All computer "processes" are running on one core of the CPU (of those background" processes still running, most are turned off) and both Flight Sims (FS9 & FSX) are running on the second core. This change, along, has made a significant difference in the System powering-up and shutting-down, as well.
    Charles

Acceleration has both SP1 and SP2 build in. Gold is FSX Deluxe + Acceleration.
    Do not install SP2 over Acceleration or Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenop View Post
    Acceleration has both SP1 and SP2 build in. Gold is FSX Deluxe + Acceleration.
    Do not install SP2 over Acceleration or Gold!
    Okay.. Great..
    Now, since I have just "Deluxe", do I Need/Have To install "Acceleration"?
    What is the difference between "Deluxe" and "Acceleration"?
    Do I need SP1 and/or SP2 with "Deluxe"? What do SP1 and SP2 do/offer?
    I appreciate the help. Thanks.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by DHC120 View Post
    Okay.. Great..
    Now, since I have just "Deluxe", do I Need/Have To install "Acceleration"?
    What is the difference between "Deluxe" and "Acceleration"?
    Do I need SP1 and/or SP2 with "Deluxe"? What do SP1 and SP2 do/offer?
    I appreciate the help. Thanks.
    Acceleration is an add-on pack for FSX. It contains SP2. Acceleration gives you more scenery, more default airplanes and some new features over FSX or FSX Deluxe.

Deluxe is just FSX, only with some extra default planes not available in the normal FSX.

For FSX and FSX Deluxe you will absolutely need SP1 and SP2! These service packs add many enhancements and improvements to FSX.
    Note: I'm not really sure if you have to install SP1 first before SP2.

If you buy Acceleration or FSX Gold, SP2 is included.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenop View Post
    Acceleration is an add-on pack for FSX. It contains SP2. Acceleration gives you more scenery, more default airplanes and some new features over FSX or FSX Deluxe.

Deluxe is just FSX, only with some extra default planes not available in the normal FSX.

For FSX and FSX Deluxe you will absolutely need SP1 and SP2! These service packs add many enhancements and improvements to FSX.
    Note: I'm not really sure if you have to install SP1 first before SP2.

If you buy Acceleration or FSX Gold, SP2 is included.
    Lenop;
    Sorry to take so long getting back to you..
    You have explained the "Deluxe"-"Acceleration" differences clearly, to me (didn't even know there was a "plain FSX"!)..
    I've ordered the Acceleration Expansion Pack.. With luck, I should receive it this week.
    I hope it clears up some "issues" I've had trying to fly FSX. I have my FS9 "where I want it", but have never been impressed with the "west Texas Scrub" default scenery where cities/towns should be (especially when the areas were well populated long before 2004!).. The default scenery in FSX is a lot more realistic looking..
    Thanks, again.
    Charles

Question Also curious about installing FSX on my XP system?

They say they are no stupid questions only the ones you don't ask. How good is FSX versus the Combat Flight Simulators from Microsoft.

Can you do they same thing in FSX that you can do in both of the Combat Flight Simulators 2 & 3?

Such as do Dogfights, Ground Attacks, and Shipping Attacks, or is this just another Flight Simulator that will only allow a player to fly from point A to B and along the way, just enjoy looking at the scenery?

Also what are some of the Pro's and Con's of the Game itself?

I have noticed that some of the aircraft offered as addons appear to have alot more graphic appearance to them than CFS2 and 3 but how does this play out in justifing buying the game when I am mostly a Combat Flight Simulator player?

Just Wondering if the game would be worth buying and installing.

My advice is that if you are looking for a combat flight sim then stick with the CFS series. FSX and FS9 were not designed to be combat simulators and they do not really allow for realistic combat operations. FSX and FS9 are civilian aviation sims. The Combat Flight Sim series, the Il-2 Sturmovik series, and host of other combat flight sims actually allow you to destroy targets, FS9 and FSX do not.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.