texture background color shows up in FS9

Thread: texture background color shows up in FS9

texture background color shows up in FS9

Mick and I need some texture help.

We are working on a new aircraft and we are at the point of doing the textures which is giving us a problem we have not seen before. the texture file background color seems to be bleeding over in to the texture in FS9

See attached example and texture file

I am using FSDS and the the texture location lines are well inside of the texture it self as much as possible.

we are very confused by this development has any one seen it before and what is the solution to fix it?

Attachment 29143

Attachment 29144
    If you have not seen it before do you have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thank you in advance
    David Wooster

Hi, David!

I've seen this effect before on some of my repaint efforts, just when my alignment is a little inaccurate...

Quote Originally Posted by this4dave2 View Post
    ... the texture location lines are well inside of the texture it self as much as possible.
    What about setting the neighbouring areas beyond the border lines to the desired colour too? Just to creating some 'overlapping'?
    Maybe the model draws some of the 'outside' pixels in?

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dave

Firstly, welcome to SOH...or welcome back if that happens to be the case.

Now, I have had about as much success at modeling as Ralph Nader has in being elected president (no that is not a politcal statement....it supposed to be funny...so laugh already)....but what I think is going on is that the area mapped or the fuselage is just a bit small and the model is pulling a bit of the red from around the white area. Try running a bit more white around the edges of the fuselage shape on the texture sheet to make it bigger.

I will download the texture sheet image and show you what I mean.

OBIO

Okay..I down loaded the texture sheet and used light blue to show you what I am talking about....simply make the fuselage shape on the texture sheet larger...extend the panel lines out across the new area as well...use white instead of blue. I have come across this from time to time while skinning aircraft....where a part pics up part of the back ground color of the texture sheet. Extending the color of the part to cover more of the back ground color has always fixed it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Okay, OBIO - your visualisation is far better than my stuttering efforts, I have to admit...

It's going to become a P-59 Airacomet, I presume?
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks OBIO

tried your suggestion I added 1/4 of an inch all around but no dice red still there.

Thanks again
    David

Yup, a P-59 Airacomet.

Four models: P-59 fighter armed and unarmed, drone comtroller with open second cockpit, and drone with nose antennae and option of pilot present or absent.

As always with our planes, scads of paints.

I hate it when developers do this, but I know a lot of aircraft who have just a two texture set for the fuselage will show some major stretching at the top and bottom center lines, so what if you add a top and bottom texture as well? The alignment gets a bit trickier when you try to line textures up over four textures as opposed to two, but it would eliminate the color being "pulled" into the other colors.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

This is just a suggestion, but it gave me your unwanted result a few years ago. Open the part you want to texture in FSDS and go to point mode. Be sure there are no unwanted points outside the outline of the part or the texture will apply very distorted as it tries to cover the unwanted points. Just an idea. Don't forget, if you delete a polygon in FSDS it leaves the points which have to be deleted as a separate step.

Paul

From your first screenshot, it looks like you have MIPS enabled, so even if you have a "border" it may not be enough, and the smaller MIP are pulling the background in. (It looks kind of blurry, especially at oblique angles.) If that is the case, try disabling MIPS and save it again, and see if that fixes it.

Brian

You might try copying and pasting the fuselage, then creating separate parts for the sides, top and bottom. Delete the points from one of the fuselage copies to create the top and bottom. Then delete points from the other fuselage to handle the sides. You'll need separate top and bottom textures that will line up with the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    You might try copying and pasting the fuselage, then creating separate parts for the sides, top and bottom. Delete the points from one of the fuselage copies to create the top and bottom. Then delete points from the other fuselage to handle the sides. You'll need separate top and bottom textures that will line up with the sides.
    Hey. . .Great minds there kjb. . .same thought I had above^:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

LOL... I'm no aircraft modeler, but that's what I had to do to get the static aircraft library to work. I read this in a tutorial somewhere.

One of these days I'll get time to finish KSDL and KARR. They're both close, but suddenly I got a ton of real work.

Quote Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
    From your first screenshot, it looks like you have MIPS enabled, so even if you have a "border" it may not be enough, and the smaller MIP are pulling the background in. (It looks kind of blurry, especially at oblique angles.) If that is the case, try disabling MIPS and save it again, and see if that fixes it.

Brian
    Thanks Brian

I am pretty stupid about some things and this seems to be one of them as I don't have the foggiest idea what you are talking about and I have never heard the name MIPS be for.

I hope you will please teach this old dog that new trick.

David

Are you sure you have not messed up the part axis rotation?

When applying an FSDS texture left, right, front and back are determined by the parts axis. Reset the part axis before applying the texture to avoid any stuffups.

Second thing I would do would be to take a screenshot of the side of the model from FSDS and load that into your texture sheet. You can then use that as reference when selecting your texture area in FSDS. An example is on the attached pic. Note how the fuselage has been mapped with a screenshot of the model of FSDS.

Third, as putput says use the delete orphaned points function to remove any stray points.

As Falcon says, using just side textures will lead to very few pixels being stretched to cover the top and bottom polygons. I think this is probably the main cause of your problems as it looks like only one or two pixels are stretching over most of the top of the fuselage.

One other way around this (apart from separate top and bottom textures) is to stretch your model. Make a duplicate of the part and then select the points near the top and bottom of the part and scale them in the Y axis only. Apply your texture and then move the points back to where they were originally (this is why you made a duplicate so you can compare with the original to make sure the points are back in the right place). A very fiddly process indeed but perhaps no less fiddly than making top and bottom textures and trying to get them to line up.

AAUUGGGHHHH!!!!!

The problem was in the textures! It was the mipmaps!

I'm the texture guy in this partnership, and it was my fault completely.

I ALWAYS save my texture files without mips, right from the start, when I convert David's 256-color templates to 32-bit textures. And the "save with mipmaps" block remains UNchecked in my DXTbmp. Yet somehow the textures had mips.

I don't know how it happened, but I feel really dumb that it never occured to me to double-check the mips before jumping to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the model. I should've recognized what was happening on sight.

THANK YOU to all who responded in this thread, and especially to Ack Ack for inspiring me to check for mips.

Problem solved

I wish to thank all who responded to my question so now Mick and I are looking forward to completing our project and getting it uploaded but that wont be for a while yet as there is still a lot of work to do on it yet.

Thanks again
    David Wooster