New CopyProtection from UBIsoft ...

Thread: New CopyProtection from UBIsoft ...

New CopyProtection from UBIsoft ...

UBI-Chef Yves Guillemot talks about the new CopyProtection System:
    http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-sett...1063391p1.html

Short:
    - You have to connect to the internet the whole the you play the game
    - The game you purchased is tied to your account, so you can't resell the game
    - Oh, but you don't have to insert a CD/DVD ...
    - The first games with this protection will be The Settlers 7 & Assassins Creed 2

So no more UBIsoft game for me ... Bye bye, Storm of War:Battle of Britain ...
    Horrido!
    Flying in the first fifty years of aircombat!

Happiness Consultant
    Rise of Flight already has all that ...

ROF has been very critisized for the constant internet connection to the point they have announced that they are doing away with it.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Honestly that doesn't sound that bad to me. Both having to use the DVD and using something completely and totally annoying like Steam irritate me a whole lot more.

Happiness Consultant
    Side note. UBI claims more people are into multi-player online sims anyhow ... so whats the big deal about being connected via internet all the time? You're going to be online fighting it out in the skies anyhow. :isadizzy:
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Which I agree too, is okay for multiplayer. You're connected anyway.
    But Fallout 3 which is a single player game,(PC version), was rather pointless to be connected to X-Box Live account all the time.
    Wonder if they are doing that for Mass Effect 2?
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Which I agree too, is okay for multiplayer. You're connected anyway.
    But Fallout 3 which is a single player game,(PC version), was rather pointless to be connected to X-Box Live account all the time.
    Wonder if they are doing that for Mass Effect 2?
    You can play Fallout offline if you manually sign out, or unplug your network cable. When we got new floors in my room, I played Fallout 3 offline in my kitchen. I don't have it on Steam, so I can't speak on that.

Quote Originally Posted by djscoo View Post
    You can play Fallout offline if you manually sign out, or unplug your network cable. When we got new floors in my room, I played Fallout 3 offline in my kitchen. I don't have it on Steam, so I can't speak on that.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did.
    It was only a pain when the first addon came out, but someone quickly found a way around that too.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

After SHIII's fiasco with StarForce, you'd think UBI would learn. They did with SHIV and did away with copy protection in a patch. Now it's back. Must be paranoia is running rampant again in UBI's inner circle again. Oh well, I guess I can save some money, I don't need SOW:BOB or SHV. I've got X3TC to have fun with.....

You see, there are no DRMs in X3 Terran Conflict Gold Pack so there's no need to have the CD/DVD in to run the game. Or the need to be connected to the internet all the time to run the game. Some European game makers aren't so paranoid after all. Oh BTW, DRMs =s copy protection.

UBI is drawing at straws making statements like that Snuffy. IL2 and now SOW:BOB were intended to be online sims. SHIII, SHIV were not. So why should SHV have it too? It's not an online game nor was is it intended to be. So now tell my why I NEED to be online to play it SHV. I'll tell you why. It's the DRMs they're using to keep track of who's playing it and if they have the "legal right" to play it.... copy protection. It all boils down to... Are You a Pirate or Not. With UBI on the box, it's one more reason I won't buy either one.

Edit: Yves Guillemot talks about the new CopyProtection
    BTW... before I typed the above, I did not read the link MrReset gave on Yves Guillemot's talk about the new copy protection. Honest, I didn't have to.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

the sad part is, a pirate can crack those copy protection in about 5 min....and be playing it offline. All this stuff just hurts the consumers who actually paid for the product.

I actually download cracked .exes all the time...because i don't want to be online to play an offline game, nor do i want to carry a bunch of game DVDs with me all the time. I paid for the product....thus i should be able to use it however i want. If a crack .exe crashes my game, then that's fault...(but it rarely does...lol).

-feng

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I believe you should be able to sell a game that you no longer wish to own. I mean the entire package, disc, etc. 3DS Max started the 'lifetime ownership only' thing, and now other groups are going to that, and I dont believe in it. Its like with a car, a book, a computer. You cant have one single owner forever... Totally unrealistic.

If a guy leaves using the 3DS Max and has the discs, he should be able to sell that product. Same with SH3, FSX, FS2004, FS2002 Pro, etc, etc, etc... Its a product, bottom line.

There is a distance we will go, and then it becomes too extreme....

All because of piracy.. Blame it on them. Thats why things go down to this level. Bottom line.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Not with me this time.

SHV with a VII type boat and a war only to 1943, that was a hard blow.
    But eh, its a modding challenge

They wanna chain me to their servers?
    No way. That just brings about a TON of problems.

Didnt want ROF for the very same reason.

so, i guess i will join FengZ on this subject.
    We can complain about Il2 defects or omissions, but after a quick reality check with the competitors' products we go back to father Oleg as a bunch of prodigal sons.

Insuber

I got to admit along with Feng that I used a crack exe for SHIII. No cd in to play it and no StarForce to destroy my computer or drives. And yes, SF did that to many. It won't be long and someone will come up with one for SHV. UBI is only hurting themselves with the DRMs, just like MS did with Vista. Watch them bitch about sales again. LOL Yep, that's why everyone had so much trouble with Vista. MS told us all that that's what they were doing... and it did nothing but cause problems for something you bought and couldn't use they way you should have been able too.

Don't get me wrong. I can't stand piracy, and I've turned in a pirate or two. I figure if I buy something it's mine to play as I want, and not be scrutinized by someone every time I play it. Besides, I'm not smart enough to pirate this stuff.... Thank God. Good thing there's no DRMs in our vehicles... Oh Crap, there are. LOL The "little black box" hidden away so you can't see it in the newer vehicles.
    Gary -

Charter Member 2011
    after playing some games from ubi i know how they treat their customers ... i aint going anywhere near em again
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

UBI to me is a lot like a hot hooker, sure it's got some pretty stuff but the baggage that it carries with it isn't worth the trouble.
    CAD

Quote Originally Posted by CADFather View Post
    UBI to me is a lot like a hot hooker, sure it's got some pretty stuff but the baggage that it carries with it isn't worth the trouble.
    *Chuckle*

I just don't hope that they don't expect this Steam lookalike to seriously hamper piracy.

"Wo ein Wille ist, ist auch ein Weg."
    (If you really want it, you'll find a way.)

Quote Originally Posted by CADFather View Post
    CAD
    That's the polite way of putting it. I have no use for UBI Soft, or hard.
    Gary -

Piracy may have coused this but there only hurting ther own bottom line.

A. Work of mouth get around (Like with Vista) the game is pain the ass to install and start. Why buy it? They didn't.

B. If the game is any good it will be out on the web before it hit the stores like Spore. Spore became the most pirated game of 2008 maybe even the most pirated game ever. DRM software back lash still hurts EA today. (EA should be ran into the ground and left to rot! I wish Spore had done so. After they fu@ked over Trauma Studios and there Desert Combat mod for BF1942. So I feel no pain for EA when there game gets pirated.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Combat

C) Copy Protection back lash can hurt game sales on games that don't even have the same copy protection. In 2008 every one knew that EA had DRM software on Spore but no one would touch any of there games that said EA on the box for fear of DRM software. The game may have not had it but the fear alone keep people away from it.

In the end it only hurt the bottom line and the End Use that has to fight all that copy protection crap.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.