Damage modelling thoughts

Thread: Damage modelling thoughts

Blog Entries

Question Damage modelling thoughts

To all you modelling and effects gurus out there...

A lot of combat footage especially of bombers being attacked shows them dropping one or both u/carriage legs as a result of a loss in the hydraulics system. Is this model-able? maybe as an effect?? You can have bent prop blades so I thought why not this too. Looking through the xdp's there seems some scope.

Also, cockpit damage. The mos file controls the apearance of bullet holes etc. I tried making such a file for the cockpit textures but that didn't work but I wondered if some of the cockpit textures were on the main sheet whether it would work then, anyone tried? I guess all this sort of thing has been gone over many times but with the loss of the archives there's no way of knowing.

Cheers,

Pat
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    A lot of combat footage especially of bombers being attacked shows them dropping one or both u/carriage legs as a result of a loss in the hydraulics system. Is this model-able? maybe as an effect?? You can have bent prop blades so I thought why not this too. Looking through the xdp's there seems some scope.
    Generally, twisted gnarly and broken bits and pieces appear as what are known as "Endcaps". When a particular part is damaged to the point of elimination (by virtue of receiving hits to that particular damage box), then the base part is replaced by its endcap.

The engine damagebox would seem like a good choice for this particular item. Of course, it goes without saying that you need the original gmax model. In terms of visuals, you can build pretty much whatever you want for an endcap (Yes, Nigel, even teapots). Generally, a modeler will clone existing parts, twist them up a bit, and then apply different textures to them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit my website, http://www3.telus.net/murrdaka/, for the latest news on the CFS3 Attack in the West '40 Campaign for CFS3 (formerly known as the Battle of France) and gmax tutorials for both Aircraft and Vehicles

It may seem a little gory but I wish one of our effects guru's would produce a blood splatter effect for a pilot kill shot. Like Nigel's pilot scream effects it just raises the immersion factor another level. All shooter games these days have blood effects so we are not introducing anything morbid or shocking to the younger folks.

Attachment 28112

Quote Originally Posted by lewis11777 View Post
    It may seem a little gory but I wish one of our effects guru's would produce a blood splatter effect for a pilot kill shot. Like Nigel's pilot scream effects it just raises the immersion factor another level. All shooter games these days have blood effects so we are not introducing anything morbid or shocking to the younger folks.

Attachment 28112
    That could probably be worked into the damage model.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by thrasmussen View Post
    That could probably be worked into the damage model.

Yes please do, you will be my hero! :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by lewis11777 View Post

Attachment 28112
    I think it will indeed be realistic to a high degree. This will really make pilots of the sim feel what the real flyboys went through. Not at all gory lewis. However, one question persists with me: How come when you're being fired upon, the bullet holes effects dont show in the virtual cockpit view? Shattered glass or damaged instruments would be nice too , along with a heavily damaged radio....

Just thinking. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    The engine damagebox would seem like a good choice for this particular item. Of course, it goes without saying that you need the original gmax model. In terms of visuals, you can build pretty much whatever you want for an endcap (Yes, Nigel, even teapots). Generally, a modeler will clone existing parts, twist them up a bit, and then apply different textures to them.
    Good thought Craig, I'll try it.

However, one question persists with me: How come when you're being fired upon, the bullet holes effects dont show in the virtual cockpit view? Shattered glass or damaged instruments would be nice too , along with a heavily damaged radio....
    It may need certain parts of the cockpit being linked to the external model but then they may not show. Another avenue to explore.

Not sure about the blood, would rather have an oil or glycol effect.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

flying dutchman
    Quote Originally Posted by Autothrottle View Post
    Shattered glass or damaged instruments would be nice too , along with a heavily damaged radio....

Just thinking. Any thoughts?
    If you make the option of shatterd glass you need to open the cockpit, than an effect of the wind in your cockpit is an option too. I meen than your view is a bit shaking, you can't sit still with all the wind.

(I hope my english is good enough)

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Damagemodel

Yes you can have the external parts show in the virtual cockpit however when it rains, snows, clouds or fog will all appear on those parts. Not very realistic to rain rain in the pit on a particular part and nowhere else.

Using the endcap idea is great however if you manage to land the plane, I am not sure this will work well (landing gear). You'll have to look and see how many endcap types are allowed and choose one that does not matter in the plane. Like an endcap for a 5th or 6th engine (if allowed) and link that to one of the main parts and well you get the picture.