Good news and bad news

Thread: Good news and bad news

sandar

Good news and bad news

Some of you may remember I have been grappling with a couple of problems with my PC over the past week. Well the good news is that it is fixed. The bad news is I seem to have lost all of my photographs and personal documents that I thought I had backed up and I now have to reload FS9 and all of the ancillaries I have acquired over the last 5 years.

I finally got rid of a trojan, but my PC still froze. It turned out to be a totally corrupt XP Home and I had to reload it.

I had been trying to copy all photo's etc onto either CD's ,memory sticks or into a vault on line, but windows just wouldn't let me, then it refused to boot up altogether.

I have ordered a new hard drive and Windows 7 to go on it. I had though to keep the new installation of XP on the old HD, but use the new HD with W7, I assume that is possible.

One problem I cannot seem to solve is the old, corrupt XP. I have managed to delete it, but as I loaded the new version onto a new partition of the same HD, when my PC starts, I now have the choice of which one to use. How do I get rid of the defunct entry when mt PC starts up?

save the harddrive, you should be able to use it as a slave hd and retieve your stuff from it.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Frand View Post
    save the harddrive, you should be able to use it as a slave hd and retieve your stuff from it.
    Emil is right.

Save that HD and retrieve the files from it. Just dont start the computer with 'that' HD. Link to it and drag out the files. Maybe, for safety sake, open it in a link cable and delete the windows folder in it, (in the bad one), so that you cannot accidentally restart with the bad HD.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

harleyman
    Yes...

Slave the hdd to another computer...Then access it and retrive all your files..After you have your files go to admin systems and open storage, there you will see the drive and have an option to format it, totally erasing it all back to blank...

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    Yes...

Slave the hdd to another computer...Then access it and retrive all your files..After you have your files go to admin systems and open storage, there you will see the drive and have an option to format it, totally erasing it all back to blank...
    I was going to say the same thing..
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    I was going to say the same thing..

Thats cause great minds think alike....LOL

sandar
    Thanks guys.

My old hard drive seems to be functioning properly without problems now. It would appear that the fault was down to a corruption in the installation of XP. It's a right pain in the arse trying to get settings back to how I liked them.

I have managed to get FS9 running without reinstalling and I have found all of my photo's and documents that I thought I had lost, so that is a huge relief.

My new hard drive hasn't arrived yet. I had hoped to fit it as mentioned by several of you, although I didn't know it was called a slave, I thought slaves were people owned by cats and yes I am a slave to cats.

My new Hard drive is a SATA and my old one an IDE, I am presuming I can still connect the two. I have an IDE DVDROM connected to a SATA DVDROM.

There is a device made by Sabrent that allows you to plug any HD into your USB port, transforming any HD into a portable HD. 20 bucks at Amazon. You should be able to retrieve any and all data from any HD with it. I have one, my only probelm is concocting some type of cage to mount all my old HDs in. Anyone who acquires one of these, you must set the HD you are attaching to it to MASTER

Bones
    My Dad's last words to me were, "Son, an eagle may soar to great heights, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine..."
    And then he died...
    He was sucked into a jet engine...