ATI help needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI help needed

ATI help needed

Hi guys,

Got my new pc today. I7 920 2.66mhz, 6gm ram, ATI 5850.

FPS before SP1 & 2 were around 15. Now after SP2, locked at 30. Problem is I am getting some screen rippling - not terrible, but annoying. I have followed Harleys settings for his ATI so far. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this ?

Apart from this, very pleased with the set up.

Thanks

harleyman
    Man...I had that for months and it drove me nuts...

It turned out for me that it was my vid card as its was a dual GPU 4870X1 ...

but yours should not..

Match screen resolutions in FSX and desktop(vid card)

Check refresh rates (60Mh for flat/ wide screen)

Install your monitor drivers ..if ya got em..Have FSX in config set to widescreen

Is that 5870 a 128 or 256 interface card?

And you followed the guides that I posted here for ATI too?

Hmmm

Try reducing some FSX settings and see if it improves..if it does something may be overworked and we can look into that...

Everything appears to be correct. I have got it set in wide screen by adjusting setting in cfg. Apart from this niggle, I love it. 400 kts low level in the Hunter without blurries is worth every penny !!!

I think its 256, its a 1Mb card, so has some punch. I will continue to tinker over the next few days and add things ! I'm now enjoying planes that I had to avoid in the past as they were FPS hoggers !

WideViewAspect=False.
    Is this the line of the config set you have changed?
    What would be the correct value when I have 22" Flatscreen

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaakko View Post
    WideViewAspect=False.
    Is this the line of the config set you have changed?
    What would be the correct value when I have 22" Flatscreen

Yes...Change that to =True

harleyman
    Tank you again

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaakko View Post
    harleyman
    Tank you again
    Most welcome..sorry I missed this...Oppps lol

Forgive me if you already know about this.

The rippling you are talking about might be screen tearing when you turn or pan. This is when vSync is not enabled.

Enabling Vsync makes sure that the video card sends a completly drawn frame to the screen and not in pieces (Normally a video card will send renders to the screen with not a care in the world of how the screen looks). Bottom half of the frame might get drawn a half second before the top or visa versa and the effect is a torn image (SCREEN TEARING). When you pan or turn is when SCREEN TEARING is most noticable if vSync is not working. Vsync tells the card to WAIT for the screen to be completely done drawing the last frame. LCD's draw at 60Hz normally which is 60 fps. or 60 refreshes per second. If you leave FSX at unlimited and somehow had managed to use a setting where you were ALWAYS over 60 fps and used vSync, the screen would draw 60 fps. Frame rate limiting in FSX help with blurries by reducing work load and also seems to smooth things out for many and a good setting is half the frefresh rate of the LCD. ie: lock at 30. Still tearing happens though. So regardless, vSync is still needed to get the card to WAIT for the screen or SYNC with it. No more tearing.

Note: In titles that do not have a vSync setting internally (like FSX), Vsync does NOT work in Vista and Windows7. Thank you Microsoft. Even if you force it in the driver (nVidia and ATI). In ATI CCC you can have vSync to ALWAYS ON and no difference in FSX will be noted.

In Windows XP, forcing Vsync from the driver still works.

In Win7/Vista, you have to use a third part app regardless of card mfg. With ATI, you can use RIVATUNER. Install it and there is a mini app that becomes available. Don't use any of the other features or tools in Rivatuner. Believe me. The app you CAN use is called D3DOverrider and it gets installed WITH Rivatuner. It has the VISTA VSYNC workaround checkbox thing in it and then with D3DOverrider running and the workaround enabled, you have vSync in FSX. But then there is a side effect...

With flying tips enabled, screen will flash white and or black and then back to FSX when tips display. You can disable those. However. ATC window causes the screen to flash or blink out as well. Very annoying.

The other tool if you don't like D3DOverrider is ATT or ATI Tray Tools. It too has an override setting but it is not global in it's behaviour. You have to go into ATT and "make a profile" for FSX and make that FORCE VSYNC enabled in that profile and save it. Then when you launch FSX from within ATT, vSync will work. Same side effect as I hav stated above apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Tray_Tools

I have not used the tools in Windows 7 and cannot comment on success or failure in that regard.

If you do not want to use these workarounds, locking at 50 fps minimized the effect but it is hard to have framerates that high all the time.

Hope this helps.

Charles.

harleyman
    Great Charles..I had actually forgotten about Rivatuner..

ATI tool tray also works for that too...

Thanks Charles, I will try this.

And if ANYONE has found a better solution to vSync with either brand without the third party app and the screen flashes, I am all over it. What I posted above was my findings from about 3 months ago talking to other users here and there and my own testing.

If a new nVidia card and latest drivers eliminates these issues I would jump to nVidia. I have owned almost all models of each brand at one time or another and have no real loyalties one way or the other.

Another lesser known fact is that in XP 32bit, the total memory map is 4GB and due to reservations of addresses, the larger the on board video memory the lower the amount available to the system and the increased number of OOM issues you have like floating trees and sqaures on the ground and so on. FSX likes SYSTEM RAM more than VIDEO RAM is my theory. After 512MB on video cards, it becomes all about SYSTEM RAM.

The catch 22 seems to be that going Vista64 or the Win7 variant to overcome RAM limits introduces vSync problems.

Charles.

What I find strange is on my old single core, I never experienced these tears. The FPS were much lower and textures took longer to load and blurries were a nightmare, so I am really pleased with my new system. It just seems strange to have a problem that wasn't there on lesser hardware. I was running a 512mb 8800gt and an AMD 3400+ at 2.2Ghz. I have read of problems getting ATT to work on Win 7, so will see what info comes out of this thread.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by guzler View Post
    What I find strange is on my old single core, I never experienced these tears. The FPS were much lower and textures took longer to load and blurries were a nightmare, so I am really pleased with my new system. It just seems strange to have a problem that wasn't there on lesser hardware. I was running a 512mb 8800gt and an AMD 3400+ at 2.2Ghz. I have read of problems getting ATT to work on Win 7, so will see what info comes out of this thread.

Cheers
    What OS was your old computer running? On your "old single core" I mean.

Charles.

XP 32 home.

After some more tweeking, I am now running texture bandwidth 70 and bufferpools 200000000. This has improved things alot, now there is very little tearing. To say I am loving this new system is an understatement.

Dino's Tomcat is now getting some air miles and Acceleration is excellent, a worthwhile investment.

Quote Originally Posted by cvearl View Post
    And if ANYONE has found a better solution to vSync with either brand without the third party app and the screen flashes, I am all over it. What I posted above was my findings from about 3 months ago talking to other users here and there and my own testing.

If a new nVidia card and latest drivers eliminates these issues I would jump to nVidia. I have owned almost all models of each brand at one time or another and have no real loyalties one way or the other.

Another lesser known fact is that in XP 32bit, the total memory map is 4GB and due to reservations of addresses, the larger the on board video memory the lower the amount available to the system and the increased number of OOM issues you have like floating trees and sqaures on the ground and so on. FSX likes SYSTEM RAM more than VIDEO RAM is my theory. After 512MB on video cards, it becomes all about SYSTEM RAM.

The catch 22 seems to be that going Vista64 or the Win7 variant to overcome RAM limits introduces vSync problems.

Charles.
    I cannot edit the messege so I will quote myself...

I wanted to change it to this...

A theory I have but am still trying to prove is that in XP 32bit, the total memory map is 4GB and due to reservations of addresses, the larger the on board video memory the lower the amount available to the system and the increased number of OOM issues you have like floating trees and sqaures on the ground and so on. FSX likes SYSTEM RAM more than VIDEO RAM is my theory. After 512MB on video cards, it becomes all about SYSTEM RAM.

*EDIT* I thought the above statement was fact. I am researching to confirm though. I had good links on it back in the day and cannot find it now. I hate MS sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by cvearl View Post
    I cannot edit the messege so I will quote myself...

I wanted to change it to this...

A theory I have but am still trying to prove is that in XP 32bit, the total memory map is 4GB and due to reservations of addresses, the larger the on board video memory the lower the amount available to the system and the increased number of OOM issues you have like floating trees and sqaures on the ground and so on. FSX likes SYSTEM RAM more than VIDEO RAM is my theory. After 512MB on video cards, it becomes all about SYSTEM RAM.

*EDIT* I thought the above statement was fact. I am researching to confirm though. I had good links on it back in the day and cannot find it now. I hate MS sometimes.
    Here was another place it was dicussed...

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s...post&p=1563252

Playing around a bit last night, I changed my texture limit to 2048 in my cfg file and it seemed to reduce the tearing somewhat ????????? Not sure why, but gonna leave in there for now.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by guzler View Post
    Playing around a bit last night, I changed my texture limit to 2048 in my cfg file and it seemed to reduce the tearing somewhat ????????? Not sure why, but gonna leave in there for now.

That can be a sign that your Vid memory or your onboard ram is being over worked..

What ATI card you running? what are the mem clock speeds for it? you can OC it some and maybe improve that some what and go back to higher res textures???

I'm running a 1Gb ATI 5850, would of thought this would soak it up without too much hassle. I don't want to OC it as I have never done it before and fear melting it although open to advice.

Core clock 725Mhz
    Mem clock 1000Mhz
    Bandwith 128GB/s

harleyman
    Maybe the problem is in the bandwidth at 128 bit...

I always get a card that has 256 bit bandwidth..There is a big difference in the two..Both in price and performance.

Price them at newEgg and you will see the difference..The 128 bit cards can bottleneck there in your system, causing all other components to seem uncapiable of fastness.

In FSX and all games its about open bandwidths..

Thats why I get similuar performance as you on a 500 dollar box..All my bandwidths are open

Damn !

harleyman
    Its just a thing.........

I also learned the hard way through mush experimentation as to what workes with what...

$400.00 256 bit App..

$144.00 128 bit App and NewEgg does not even offer them now it seems

Blog Entries
    As far as I know, and I work with ATI engineers in Austin, the HD5850 is a 256 bit video card. The tearing occurs only in FSX (of course) so raise your texture max to 2048 or 4096 you should see an improvement. ATI knows about it and all ATI show tearing in the VC...another trick is to leave the VC at full zoom 90% or better and you will see less tearing it just isn't very authentic
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    As far as I know, and I work with ATI engineers in Austin, the HD5850 is a 256 bit video card. The tearing occurs only in FSX (of course) so raise your texture max to 2048 or 4096 you should see an improvement. ATI knows about it and all ATI show tearing in the VC...another trick is to leave the VC at full zoom 90% or better and you will see less tearing it just isn't very authentic
    Ted

Hi Ted Yea..I could only find a 256 bit 5850 also............

i think he lowered his texture res and foung improvement...Go figure...Gotta love FSX...lol

No, to the contrary, I increased it and it improved as Ted said.

According to the CCC info page, the card is 128 bits.

Just playing with buffer pools as I have read it can be better to reduce it, but I seem to get less tearing with it increased.