Close Call..... I Hope

Thread: Close Call..... I Hope

Question Close Call..... I Hope

This past week I kept hearing a weird sound in my computer case. Kinda sounded like a fan dragging on it's case. This noise was going on before I cleaned the inside the week before. After it ran for a bit the noise would go away.

I worked up the nerve to track it down, and come to find out it was the fan on my 6800XTreme GFX card. So being brave I carefully opened up fan cover on the card and cleaned the crap out. Caked on dust on the blades, but nothing was dragging inside, Started the pc back up and it still made the same noise.... and after a bit the noise went away just like before.

Well, I started the pc up this morning and no noise. That was a load off my mind.

Now for a couple of questions. Is it ok to lube the fan bearing if possible? I don't see any way to get the fan off the card, and I'm not about to try. I've got some 3-in-One oil and oil for my hair trimmer. Either one ok or leave it alone and cross my fingers?
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

GT,.....if you do decide to use some sort of lubricant,...maybe try WD-40 first. It's lighter in weight than either the 3 in One oil or for oil the hair trimmer.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

I've run fans for a long time like that before replacing them. Is the fan still working now that it's not making any noise?

Happiness Consultant
    Keep the insides of your CPU cleaner by keeping it off the floor, even if it is a tower. I have my unit(s) sitting on milk/egg crates and rarely suck enough dust into the boxes to seriously hinder the proper workings of something like fans.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Snuffy, it's up off the floor on 2 homemade wooden stands... and never ever sits on the floor. That's the worst place you can put a computer. I cleant it every couple of months, or at least check it to see it it's loaded with crud.

Willy, the fan is still working. At least no noise so far.

Brad, not sure about using WD-40. I know it's thinner than 3-In-Oil, and that could be a problem. At least the fan hangs from the underside of the card. Now I'm just trying to figure how to oil it seeing there's no way to remove it... only the cover comes off it. And you can't get under the fan even if you used a pin type oiler.

Here's a picture of it in the case now and running. You're seeing it the way it sits on the motherboard from the side and below from the front of the case, the fan is underneath. I'll get a better closeup picture out on the table tomorrow, before I start up the computer.
    Gary -

do not be afraid...

i recently took the entire ati x1650 apart to put on a new layer of thermal paste.

If you take your time, and get some advice from a Hardware maintenance guy, the fan might be the longest-lasting element of the G-card...
    what about the Constructors advice, his forums?
    We can complain about Il2 defects or omissions, but after a quick reality check with the competitors' products we go back to father Oleg as a bunch of prodigal sons.

Insuber

harleyman
    I believe the fan bearings are sealed.. i have an old rig that the CPU fan squeels bad at times..Then its time for the volume control on the surround...LOL

yes..I am to cheap to replace a 10 dollar fan...LOL

If you decide to lubricate, I'd consider silicone spray.

My work computer made noise until I discovered that adding a folded piece of paper under one corner stops it. I discovered it by pure dumb luck, but it's worth looking into.

What M$ could have done
    WD40 leaves a sticky residue --
    not a good idea

sandar
    Quote Originally Posted by exc141ac View Post
    WD40 leaves a sticky residue --
    not a good idea

Yep and it's better for catching dust than fly paper is for catching flies

I too, would recommend a silicon spray.

There's also a light weight oil that's made for sewing machines and such. It has no additives. I've used it on small motors for years with very good results. Some small cheap fans have a nylon bushing. Oil won't help those much. The bushing wears out.

Thanks for the oiling tips guys. WD 40 would be almost as bad as uing Armour All. I took it apart last night. Fan case does come off but then I had to reapply Atric Silver to the card's CPU for the heatsink. Put it all back together and it's not making noise now. Even from the hidden side I didn't see any way to give it a drop of oil. No picture of it apart as I was concentrating on getting it apart and back together without breaking anything.
    Gary -

WD40 is a viscous solvent, not a lubricant. A light oil of equivalent weight would be diesel/kerosene. Sounds like you've solved the issue, good stuff.

GT182, looking at the LH picture you posted, it "appears" there are four balls or rollers in the bearing. If the fan starts acting up again, drill a small 1/16th inch hole between two of them and put a couple of drops of oil into the hole. I've kept the small shaded pole motors like what's in bathroom vents working for years doing this.

Ok Waco and thanks. I wasn't sure if it would be safe to drill a hole to oil it. Only thing is, the side I show is on the bottom when the card is installed. So I'd have to take the fan housing off the card and do it from the top. But that's no big deal now that I know I can remove it from the main GFX card board.

I do think tho that the safest oil to use would be a sewing machine type of oil, which I do have.
    Gary -

What makes that oil good is there's no additives in it.