OT: Any goodies for Washington DC?

Thread: OT: Any goodies for Washington DC?

Videre Vincere Est

Wink OT: Any goodies for Washington DC?

Hi.
    I'll be visiting Washington DC coming thursday for 10 days :ernae:.
    Any nice aviation or military museum goodies or tips?
    Other nice stuff i should visit in the area?

I have been to DC recently so the National Mall and the Smithsonian collection can be deleted from the list.

I have about a 250 mile radius (weekend days, monday till friday i will be attending a course).

:USA-flag:

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

US Navy Museum - off the beaten track, but well worth the trip.
    http://www.history.navy.mil/Branches/org8-1.htm

If you have a car, the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles International Airport is a must-see. Also, if you're into firearms, the National Firearms Museum at the NRA HQ in Fairfax, VA is not far from DC.

Charter Member 09
    The Tank museum at Fort Belvoir, MD is something to see. It's just up the road from Washington. All the way from WWI to Iraqi war. If I remember right they have a Tiger Tank with a hole that you can see right through the tank.
    Little one man Tanks to the, "oh my God" Abrams Tank. It's like an apartment on tracks.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

The Marine Corps Air-Ground Museum is very worthwhile if you feel like taking a train or driving to Quantico (I-95 S to the Triangle Exit).

Udvar-Hazy is definitely worth a day (be advised, no entry fee, but they do charge for parking -- $15 I think). Depending on where you start you'll take the Beltway to I-66 thence to Hwy 50, thence to Sr 28 -- there will be signs on 50, or you take the 257 to Dulles, thence Sr 28 to the center -- again, there will be signs off Sr 28).

Gettysburg is 85 miles north of D.C.....easy to find, and you can hit the high points in one day, or go into more detail overnight. The countryside is particularly beautiful in Spring, Summer and Fall, and cold in Winter.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Videre Vincere Est

Fort Belvoir is definately a go, since i'll be staying there. The NASM will be close by, so yes, a definate go as well. Gettysburg....Hmmmmm, tempting

Keep 'm coming people!

A big thanks so far :salute:

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

The Air and Space Museum at Dulles is a must for any aircraft buff. I was there last August for two weeks. Warrant, this was the highlight of my entire two weeks. I spent the entire day there. just to mention a couple, SR71, the Enterprise Space Shuttle, Mig 15, F4 Phantom, Concord, B-29 Enola Gay, F-14 Tomcat, A6N Zero, Resin, P-38J, multiple helicopters and about 250 other aircraft. Many are war planes.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Videre Vincere Est
    Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    The Air and Space Museum at Dulles is a must for any aircraft buff. I was there last August for two weeks. Warrant, this was the highlight of my entire two weeks. I spent the entire day there. just to mention a couple, SR71, the Enterprise Space Shuttle, Mig 15, F4 Phantom, Concord, B-29 Enola Gay, F-14 Tomcat, A6N Zero, Resin, P-38J, multiple helicopters and about 250 other aircraft. Many are war planes.
    Thanks for the suggestion mate

I'm flying to and from Dulles so visiting should not be a problem. On our departure day we have to turn in cars at 1200, but we will fly 1800-ish.
    Is there decent transport from KIAD to the museum and back, or will it be a regular cab?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

harleyman
    I think a cab Warrant.....

I would also try to go uo the monument if its open , there you will see all of our nations capitol...

At least a 1/2 day for that too....

MUST SEE...

http://www.nasm.si.edu/UdvarHazy/

I used to live not far from Dulles.

There is a museum shuttle that goes back and forth between Dulles and downtown. You may be able to catch a subway from Dulles to downtown as well. They were talking about it when I moved away, so I'm not sure it came to fruition. Either way, the subway is a great way to get around downtown DC. Between the idiots, lack of parking and lousy roads, it's easier and cheaper to park and ride.

You may be able to catch a subway from Dulles to downtown as well.
    Sorry, not yet. Phase 1 of Dulles Metro just started, and that won't reach the airport yet.

Maybe by the time my son goes to college, he can fly into Dulles and take the Metro home. He just started Kintergarten last year, so there's still some time.

Warrant, Gettysburg will be an all-day trip from your location, but Manassas is a lot closer:
    http://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htm

I agree with the others about Udvar-Hazy I made my 3rd trip there back in November. The National Cemetery in Arlington is loaded with history. Another site that you may find interesting though it is not aviation or military in nature is Mount Vernon. There's a lot more there than Washington's house.

If you are in downtown DC and hungry/thirsty, check out the Capitol Brewing Co. next to Union Station. The best freshly pulled ale this side of the ocean and the food is good too.
    Tom Constantine
    -------------------
    TOH Forums
    http://mainescenery.proboards.com/

S. Udvar Hazy Air & Space Museum

http://www.nasm.si.edu/UdvarHazy/

THIS is the place you want to go (for me the most spiritual of all aircraft is here - THE Enola Gay) or go to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum on the National Mall in Washington DC.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/

While at the National Mall there are many things to see - like the Julia Childs kitchen in the Museum of American History!

Enjoy your stay and if you have a problem while at Dulles or in local area just contact me at rvn817j@yahoo.com - I'm in the area.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Videre Vincere Est
    Quote Originally Posted by Overshoe View Post
    I agree with the others about Udvar-Hazy I made my 3rd trip there back in November. The National Cemetery in Arlington is loaded with history. Another site that you may find interesting though it is not aviation or military in nature is Mount Vernon. There's a lot more there than Washington's house.

If you are in downtown DC and hungry/thirsty, check out the Capitol Brewing Co. next to Union Station. The best freshly pulled ale this side of the ocean and the food is good too.
    Arlington is indeed impressive. The carillon over there was donated by my country. Visited Arlington last May.
    The brewery is on my short list as well, also been there last May, but definitely going there again :ernae:

Mount Vernon.....that's where my hotel is

Udvar-Hazy; YES!

Always good to drop in a few lines here at SOH prior to crossing the Atlantic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

I think the museum Helldiver describes is at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, just north of Baltimore, not Ft Belvoir. I might be mistaken, but his description fits Aberdeen perfectly, and I'm not aware of a museum at Ft Belvoir.

Speaking of Baltimore, you might try a day trip to the Inner Harbor, which is home to the National Aquarium and a number of historic ships, including the ex-USS Constellation, the last all-sail warship built for the US Navy (1840-ish). It's fully restored and has some reenactors as a sort of living-history exhibit. The US Naval Academy (shameless plug) is also just up the road from DC (about 20 miles). There's a nice museum in Preble Hall, featuring a priceless model ship exhibit (most were scale builders' models from the 17th and 18th centuries). There's also the Naval Academy chapel with John Paul Jones' crypt, and a number of historic aircraft (and a midget submarine) scattered around campus. You can walk in, but not drive due to security. Annapolis has a nice historic district with some nice shops and restuarants down by the waterfront.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Elanman
    Worth enquiring at the NASM about a visit to the restoration centre and reserve collection, this used to be at Silver Hill in Maryland, but may have moved out to Udvar Hazy, I don't know. I visited some 12 years ago or more, there was public access but only if booked and only on certain days of the week. I recommend asking early in your trip and then programming it in for later.