KC-135 Replacement ?

Thread: KC-135 Replacement ?

KC-135 Replacement ?

I quess I havn't kept up with the DOD and USAF news for awhile now . Has the Air Force decided on a replacement yet ? I thought I read Boeing still had a shot at the contract . Having flown on the KC-135 on several annual tours in my AFRES days, Grissom AFB would stop at Wright Patterson and pick us up and take us to Tyndall AFB and a few other places . I know , I'm lazy and didn't look it up on the net . I thought I would throw it up here first and get a few comments .

Rich

Charter Member 2015
    No replacement just yet. Airbus won the competition...Boeing complained, so now the rules are being changed so that Boeing can win!
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Lots of hand wringing over that whole mess. It can be called nothing less than a disaster. Northrop had won it with the A330, which had been "scaled" to fit the competition. Boeing rightfully protested in court and won. Now, the initial requirement has been reissued. However, it is expected to be taylored some before it is sent out for bidding. Northrop said they weren't going to bid this time, presumably because the requirement will be for an airplane smaller than the A330.

Thanks for the comments from you both . IMO it sounds like one heck of a mess .

Rich

At the risk of muddying the waters further, I thought I read somewhere recently (don't recall where, exactly, but it was within the last two or three weeks) that the Air Force was considering a split award -- presumably buying some of each.

Believe me, I fully appreciate the impact and difficulties associated with this approach, but it's not unheard of...
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR