Taylorcraft Auster Mk.III

Thread: Taylorcraft Auster Mk.III

Taylorcraft Auster Mk.III

Released yesterday at www.classicbritishfiles.com is the latest Auster to emerge from Dave Molyneaux and Brian Horsey - the Mk.III.

This one of the earlier Auster aircraft is something that little bit different than the others already modelled and has a more lively performance than its newer relatives.

Taylorcraft Aeroplanes (England) Ltd was formed in 1938 to license build the designs of C.G Taylor after his split from William Piper in 1936. The initial designs were the Taylorcraft Plus C powered by a 55hp Lycoming and the Plus D which had a 90hp Cirrus Major.

These were later put to use by the RAF as the Auster Mk.I. They were both found to be underpowered and had insufficient visibility, so as an improvement to the design - 130hp Gipsy Major, flaps and more cockpit glazing - the Auster Mk.III was created. This saw service through all theatres of the war and in the end 467 were produced.

This Mk.III modelled here was built in the middle of 1943 and was shipped to Bombay where it saw frontline service with Number 656 Squadron of the RAF in Burma. Demobbed in the late 1940s, it ended up with the Kuala Lumpar Flying Club in Malaya where it remained until it was purchased by a British Army officer.

Having finished his tour of duty in the Far East, he decided against coming home on a liner and so with his wife on board, flew the Mk.III home to England in late 1960.

Upon returning home, it was registered as G-AREI and is now resident at Eggesford in Devon alongside other Austers created by Messrs Molyneaux and Horsey.

I supplied all of the technical references for the project (over 200 photos were taken for starters!) and being in the lucky position to be able to fly this rare aeroplane from time to time, I must say that a wonderful job has been done in recreating this classic 'British' aeroplane. I must stress that its performance and flight characteristics are as they are today and not as when it first emerged from the factory. As we want her to survive for as along as possible, the model you see here reflects how she is today - but still as you will discover its a lot faster and more sprightly than the newer Auster designs.

Best wishes to all,

Martin

Great news Martin, a fine addition to my hangar once again ...

Mike :ernae:

SOH-CM-2024
    For sure Martin, this belongs in every FS9 Hanger. :ernae:

Caz

Thanks Mike and Cazzie,

I hope you enjoy her as much as the other Austers and having a little look this afternoon, the downloads seem to be going very well so far.

Someone has asked me what the little 'wings' are under the elevators. These are infact the trim tabs and I'm not sure if I can recollect another design having them in either this position or even designed like this. The trimmer itself is between the two seats, just back from the fuel selector.

Please find attached a few photos showing MT438 as she is today and one taken (when in yellow and white) at Blackbushe in 1966. The venturi have been removed from the airframe now as we believe they were part of the Somerton-Rayner conversion when he brought it back home in 1960.

Happy Landings,

Martin

looks like it's another i'll have to make a PSD template for

Thanks for the HU, Martin. Another fine aircraft from Dave, Brian, and yourself. :ernae:
    Brent aka "dogknot"

sandar
    I have downloaded it, but not tried it yet, but I haven't tried one I didn't like. Thanks guys.

Y'all jest gotta love those Auster birds. I quickly converted all of them -- to date -- into FS2002 and they are a real hoot to fly. Thanks ever so much for giving us great planes with which we can pretend to do things most folks only dream of.

Happy New Year.
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

With so many pilots in this forum that love low and slow this has to be a sticky!

:salute:

Cees

sandar
    I have just had an hours pootle around the Oxfordshire (UK) skies in this MkIII Auster. Lovely to fly, nice and slow. We are getting spoiled for choice with Austers now. Don'y know which one to choose next.

SOH-CM-2024
    I finally have time before bed to really devote an hour's flight in this beauty Martin.

Kudos. :ernae:

Caz

Very glad to hear that everyone is enjoying the Mk.III.

If you're thinking that the wind noise is a little on the loud side, I'm afraid to say thats what its like in real life, as the fit between the doors and the frame isnt exactly perfect!!

I've only got about 12 hours experience in the real thing, but can vouch for its performance here and yes, it is rather sprightly and then as some of you have discovered a wonderful STOL aeroplane. Closest I think I have found on the sim is Piglet's Storch.

This year we took MT438 back to Middle Wallop for an Auster fly-in and a 656 Squadron (with which she served) and more information on this very aeroplane and the people that flew it can be found on this youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pguvsOLBuec

Martin

sandar
    I used to occasionally fly in an Auster J1N in which the door was such a poor fit, it sometimes unlatched in flight.
    The story went it was the ghost of the man who had been killed and his body cut up and dropped out over the Essex marshes and he was trying to get back into the Auster.

Quote Originally Posted by sandar View Post
    I used to occasionally fly in an Auster J1N in which the door was such a poor fit, it sometimes unlatched in flight.
    The story went it was the ghost of the man who had been killed and his body cut up and dropped out over the Essex marshes and he was trying to get back into the Auster.
    I know what you mean - in the Mk.III there is a slight visible gap along the hinge line and with no heater on board, on days like today you need to wrap up warm. But then she is now tucked away for the Winter and probably wont come out of the hangar until Spring.

As to the unfortunate man - Stanley Setty, who had that one way trip in an Auster (!), more details can be found by reading:
    http://www.austerclub.org/magazine/murder.pdf

The Auster I believe too is no longer with us having had an accident at Bickmarsh in June 1969.

Martin

sandar
    I was there at Bickmarsh at the time of the crash, but didn't actually see it it happen. I have read reports that it had engine failure on landing, but as I remember, it was taking off, hopped one hedge and crashed into another. Can't believe it was 40 years ago, makes me feel old.

I heard a rumour that G-AGXT, after lying derelict for some years at Bickmarsh, is now restored to static display standard and is on exhibition or awaiting space to be exhibited, but I cannot recall where.

These Austers just get better and better - you can almost smell the leather on the door panels.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Just for information, the airplane flies nicely in FSX. I really do love these low and slow planes.

For some reason, I can't download it. I've tried 4 times, it gets to 6.3 meg and quits, with a corrupted archive....

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoroth View Post
    For some reason, I can't download it. I've tried 4 times, it gets to 6.3 meg and quits, with a corrupted archive....
    I had a similar problem. I use Internet Download Manager and that was the problem.

Disable any download manager and use the default IE downloader.

Cheers
    Pat

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Hey y'all. IN case you just might kinda of slightly be interested, there is batch of 6 new Mk.III paints over at http://classicbritishfiles.com/index...=34&Itemid=166
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    I had a similar problem. I use Internet Download Manager and that was the problem.

Disable any download manager and use the default IE downloader.

Cheers
    Pat
    Was using default IE downloader. Then tonight, downloaded it without a hitch, don't know what the problem was, but I got the plane so I'm now a happy camper