Active Sky V6.5 and FSX

Thread: Active Sky V6.5 and FSX

Active Sky V6.5 and FSX

I have read that this works with FSX, but I'm unable to find any clearcut instructions on installation. Is anyone using this, and if so, can you give me a brief run down on "how-to"?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I was using AS6.5 when FSX first came out, transferring over from FS9. I continued to use it all the way up until ASA was released.

I don't recall having to do anything other than just install it the same way I had been doing in FS9 to get it into FSX.

It's been a long time and I may be wrong but.....
    1. I believe that you have to have FSUIPC installed first.

2. Portions of AS6.5 stop working when you use it in FSX. Active Sky
    Graphics is one that shuts down and I'm pretty sure something else
    stopped working. They were parts that weren't compatible with FSX.

FAC

MCDesigns
    Can't remember if I did anything special to set it up, but that is what I am using.

JSkorna
    Hi,

1. Install AS outside of FSX.

2. Make sure FSUIPC4 is installed.

3. Can't use ASG or Active Radar.

Thanks!

harleyman
    YUP...And it works great too!

SOH-CM-2024
    It works fine, but just as in FS9, I find AS 6.5 just does not cut the mustard on accurate readings. Neither does REX 2.0 or REX-2004. I still find Jepperson to be the most accurate (most of the time) and that is what I use for real-weather. None of the other two got the snow line right during the previous snow storm but Jepperson.

Caz

I'd recommend upgrading to Active Sky Advanced (ASA). I've never had any issues with it or FSX together.
    I feel it is very accurate, and it is capable of depicting hurricanes, for example. I like the interface better too.

On a recent flight to Rapid City during the blizzards, FSX was showing light winter seasonal conditions with winter and fall textures.
    ASA very effectively switched it to full blizzard conditions with heavy winter effects.

The second shot was arriving at KRAP around dusk.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

JSkorna
    To set the record straight: the actual weather does not set the snow line in FS04 or FSX. There is a season file that does this. You can make it snow in Hawaii in July and ground textures will not turn white. You can make it 75 degrees in Duluth in January and the ground textures will not turn green. So please don't link snow lines and weather programs together.

I would also like to see some concrete examples of Active Sky weather being inaccurate compared to NOAA and Jepp. Then we'll see who cuts the mustard or not.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
    To set the record straight: the actual weather does not set the snow line in FS04 or FSX. There is a season file that does this. You can make it snow in Hawaii in July and ground textures will not turn white. You can make it 75 degrees in Duluth in January and the ground textures will not turn green. So please don't link snow lines and weather programs together.

Thanks,
    Jim, I never said ASA did directly, but I know it went from fall to winter in some areas based on the data given to FSX by ASA. So excuse my apparently poor description.

Sorry Sir, I was actually trying to help promote your product, but based on this response, I'll have second doubts about ever doing that again. Good day.

JSkorna
    Hi Dain,

Please understand I wasn't reacting to you, but to the poster above you who is misinformed!! I have no problems with what you posted at all. I should have made myself clearer in my post!!

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
    Hi Dain,

Please understand I wasn't reacting to you, but to the poster above you who is misinformed!! I have no problems with what you posted at all. I should have made myself clearer in my post!!

Peace!
    Hugs then, Jim! (In a strictly platonic and manly way of course)

JSkorna
    Cazzie,

My hot-dog is getting cold! Any mustard yet?