HU: Republic Seabee at PAD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HU: Republic Seabee at PAD

adhockey

HU: Republic Seabee at PAD

Heads up! Premier Aircraft Designs has released a Republic Seabee! (FS9 and FSX versions)

I can't believe we went 5 years without an updated model.

http://www.premaircraft.com/

Yippeeee! A new Seabee! I have been working on updating John Woodward's Seabee as much as I could using MDLC and Photoshop. Will definitely have to download this fine gift from PAD...if it is on par with their other aircraft...it is going to be a joy to fly.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just had the PAD Seabee up for some test flight time...and it is GOOD! Flies nice, take off is nice, water landings are nice, take off from water is nice, didn't do a land landing. Took a look at the texture files....and they are nicely laid out...this will be a much more paintable plane than John Woodwards. I did notice that the brakes seem to be a big strong...I may back them off just a tad bit to reduce the plane's tendency to nose over when brakes are applied....with the high mounted engine (thrust), the Seabee had a greater tendency to nose over during hard braking...but I am willing to sacrifice a bit of accuracy for enjoyability.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adhockey
    I too found it to be a very pleasant flyer. Generally docile, trimmed easily, took to runway and water equally well. Stalls clean at about 74 KIAS and dirty at 50. Pulling harder into a deep stall produced a crazy flip, but in all normal operations it was a fun little bird.

Like any PAD release, the visual model is well done, the panel is functional but not fancy, and the paint is clean though not approaching anything photo real. It may not have the "as real as it gets" feeling as some other add-on aircraft, but she's a keeper! Another great PAD production.

But like OBIO said, don't get overzealous with the brakes.
    Attachment 23138
    (This was not catastrophic, just attention-getting.)

Quote Originally Posted by adhockey View Post
    . . . . .Like any PAD release, the visual model is well done, the panel is functional but not fancy. . . . .
    Take a walk over to the FSX side, I have some new panel bitmaps I'm working on and Bob is going to post them on the PAD site as soon as I finish em' probably today or tomorrow.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

adhockey
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Take a walk over to the FSX side, I have some new panel bitmaps I'm working on and Bob is going to post them on the PAD site as soon as I finish em' probably today or tomorrow.
    Compatible with FS9?

Quote Originally Posted by adhockey View Post
    Compatible with FS9?
    I'm not entirely sure it is. I DL'd the navy paint and they were bitmaps and it looked fine in my demo version of FSPaint. However when I loaded up the sim it was all greyed out except for the elevators and interior. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Drzook View Post
    I'm not entirely sure it is. I DL'd the navy paint and they were bitmaps and it looked fine in my demo version of FSPaint. However when I loaded up the sim it was all greyed out except for the elevators and interior. Weird.
    The Navy texture by Ed Wells is published by him in 2048 x 2048 format so it's too big for FS9 but there is a FS9 compatible version, complete with Ed's nice black panel, on the PAD site.
    http://www.premaircraft.com/repaintcorner3/index.html

Bob
    PAD

Well that certainly explains it. Thank you very much. Off to get the correct textures.
    BTW, just wanted to take a moment to say that Premaircraft has put out some fantastic planes (the Chancellor and the HK36 taildragger come to mind)...thank you.:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by Drzook View Post
    Yep, sorry about that guys. I forget that some folks may not be able to resize the bitmaps to 50% for use with FS9. I should go ahead and supply those corrected sizes as part of the download. Besides the Navy version, I have also posted a Coast Guard version and I'm working on an all aluminum skin version as well.

Current System Specs:

Just an update, I've posted two more liveries for the Seabee, the aforementioned Aluminum skin and a Shamu livery. Also, for any panel guru's out there I posted the VC bitmaps for 4 different panels as well. :salute:

Current System Specs:

Very nice Seabee! Love the bounce it has on landing in water, plus it steers and skids around in the water real nice.

I found a very nice water effect spray that fits it really well, I thought anyway. It comes from Bill Lyons Luscombe on floats. So if you ever had the luscombe on floats in your hanger chances are you already have the effect in FS9. So all you have to do is add this to the Seabee's aircraft cfg in the effects section. A nice short duration misty spray.

wake=fx_lu_spray
    water=fx_lu_spray

It seems ok in FS9, and there's an authentic UK reg repaint at Classic British Files.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    there's an authentic UK reg repaint at Classic British Files.
    Does anyone have a link to this ? I can't find the files.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmay View Post
    Does anyone have a link to this ? I can't find the files.

Bob.
    Here u be but I didn't find anything there.
    http://www.cbfsim.net/library/
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

http://www.classicbritishfiles.com/i...leinfo&id=1610

It is on the Latest Files page in the File Library section. The Auster 3 and repaints are there too.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Hmmm .... like Reddog I had a look through the files on that site and didn't see it. Anyhow, thanks to your thumbnail I don't need to find it now. Just wondered if it was different from the one on PAD and it's the same one. Peter Watkins did a good job on it.

Bob.

yepper that's the same one that came with the package from PAD.

Here's a US skin that I just uploaded here.

It's fictional, but it's based on factory liveries. Fuselage and vertical tail markings like that Brit livery; wingtip and stab tips like other factory paints. Colors inspired by the dim recollection of a Seabee hulk I saw rotting away at the Orange (Mass.) airport many moons ago.

The registration commemorates a Cessna 172 Skyhawk that I had many delightful hours and a few serious adventures in before some bozo caught a wingtip on a snowbank when landing in the dark and rolled it up into a ball.

Looks good but not up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Here's a US skin that I just uploaded here.

It's fictional, but it's based on factory liveries. Fuselage and vertical tail markings like that Brit livery; wingtip and stab tips like other factory paints. Colors inspired by the dim recollection of a Seabee hulk I saw rotting away at the Orange (Mass.) airport many moons ago.

The registration commemorates a Cessna 172 Skyhawk that I had many delightful hours and a few serious adventures in before some bozo caught a wingtip on a snowbank when landing in the dark and rolled it up into a ball.
    Not up yet, been over 24 hours now

Give Douglas some time - he may be away from his PC.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

ok but in another thread Henry said they are posted the same day.

They usually are, but sometimes things come up that can prevent staff members from getting online. It'll get posted...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

It's up,got it. Thanks