Conspicuous by Their Absence - Page 55
Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5454748495051525354555657585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1564

Thread: Conspicuous by Their Absence

Lavochkin La-5FN

This aeroplane is the test subject for my Trim Test Gauge.
    It was released quite a few years ago and has a basic non-jittery SCASM cockpit but that is all.

The Aeroplane has no significant bleeds and the general shape is fairly accurate so after the Warhawks, this may be the next subject for rework.
    Since it was first built and released, I have gotten a little smarter with Aircraft Factory 99 and a whole lot smarter with SCASM, so this will be interesting.
    There will be some new pieces added but I believe the Antenna Wires will not be staying. They are a bit distracting.

The AIR file definitely needs a bit of a rework, mostly for engine tuning.
    I didn't have much information to work with when I first built this, but have found a Pilot's Manual for the La-5FN and a few flight evaluations by the Germans and also have an engine manual for the Shvetsov ASh-82FN motor that is installed in this aeroplane. The manual is in Russian but hopefully I can read enough to get what I need.

- Ivan.

P.S. Much of this Aeroplane's structure is Wood, so there will certainly be a bit of time needed by the technicians to become familiar with the different techniques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lavochkin-La5FN.jpg  

Hello All,

Here is what I have figured out thus far.
    (Please comment if you already know this or believe I am incorrect in my conclusions.)

I tuned the Gauge so that the pointer moved one tick mark per tap of the Trim adjustment keys.
    When the Trim adjustment is pressed several times very quickly,
    The first key press moves the pointer one tick, but
    Each following key press moves the pointer EIGHT ticks.
    This is very reliable and repeatable.

So.... Now I know that the Trim settings I had been listing in my Check Lists were really showing the Large adjustments and sometimes were not even showing them consistently depending on how fast I was making the adjustments.

I would also like to see if the Lateral and Directional Trim work the same way, but can't program the gauge to show it.

Next step is to program a Trim Gauge that can be added to an operational panel and maintain the appearance.
    The question now is whether to include this gauge into the main panel as I have been doing or to put it into yet another pull up panel or perhaps even to add it to the engine controls panel.
    It would be even more useful if I could make the new gauge react to mouse clicks.

- Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by No Dice View Post
    Aleatorylamp,

If you do not want to post the thief in this forum,
    Please contact me direct: dea14u@aol.com

I will take it from there:

Dave

Hello Aleatorylamp,

I think I took care of that situation,
    Take a look:
    http://www.absquad.net/cfs2_absquad_wolrd_war_1.htm

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Hello No Dice,

Thanks for your post and your efforts, but I donīt exactly understand what you mean.
    I had a look but it appears that nothing has changed either on the plane files or in the index where itīs mentioned - unless of course Iīm missing something, which is not to be discarded nowadays, as my attention is starting to resemble my alias...
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Well hell,

When I checked the site was gone...
    Seems to be back up, I guess I thought I had accomplished something but did not.

Damn.
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

It was gone when I looked yesterday.
    AAF Lament:

"Glory! No more regulations!
    Rip them down at every station!
    Ground the guy that tries to make one!
    And LET US FLY LIKE HELL!"

From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

SOH Staff
    same here, Dave.
    i don't know what you did,
    it was gone, now, it's back.
    what say, you do it again, please.
    i wish i had the capability.
    making a thief's life miserable,
    might be kinda fun.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Curtiss Electric Propellers

Hello Blood Hawk.

There is actually a lot more to that story about runaway props on the B-26 Marauder than most people have heard of.
    Some problems may have been due to the Curtiss Electric propeller itself, but consider how many other aeroplanes used a Curtiss Electric propeller and did NOT have a history of runaway propellers.
    My belief is that most of the problems were due to other issues in the use of the aeroplane.
    I am pretty sure that the F4F Wildcats used a Curtiss Electric propeller and even in a harsh naval environment were not noted for problems.
    Many models of the P-47 Thunderbolt also used a similar Curtiss Electric propeller also without a great deal of problems.

From what I have read, the Marauder had a lot of electrical accessories such as the gun turret.
    Although the manual stated specifically not to do it, sometimes when performing tests or maintenance, the ground crew would run the accessories off the batteries in the aeroplane. (The proper procedure was to power up the APU or to run from an external power source.)
    Prolonged use would drain the batteries and although there was enough juice to perform the propeller pitch tests before take-off, there might not be enough power to run the propeller DURING Take-Off.... which would result in a runaway prop.
    On some aeroplanes, a slight reduction in power might not be dangerous, but the Marauder was a "Hot Ship" with a relatively high Take-Off / Landing speed and a fairly high single engine control speed.

- Ivan.

Off Topic as Usual?

This thread has evolved into pretty much a catch-all so perhaps this discussion isn't really so far off topic.

I am pretty much finished with the P-40N / Hawk87W Project at this point.
    What is left is mostly packaging, a little testing and thinking of something for the description.
    I am amazed when I think back that the P-40N is the most recent of a series that took me over 10 years to build.

I was cleaning up some papers a couple days ago and came across a print out of a discussion between Hubbabubba and I and a couple other folks. The date was October 12, 2005 and was about Hubbabubba's Messerschmitt 108 Taifun. I had only released the P-40E in January of that year, so it was still a recent project. There was even a mention of the fantastic paint job done on the Warhawk by a fellow named PJ Dunbar.

It is amazing to me that some of the people from back then are still around and may be following the current discussion.
    We also seem to have lost a few but also have gained a few along the way.

At this point with the P-40N almost complete, there is the same question about what to work on next.
    Should it be an entirely new aeroplane (I have a bunch of candidates) or should it be a rework of one of my earlier projects that may not hold up under modern (CFS) standards. Should the time be spent on finishing up one of the many projects that have gotten pushed to the side of the Workshop as more interesting projects have occupied the center of the Workshop?

Perhaps this wasn't so far off the "Conspicuous" topic after all.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Not off topic at all...
    Iīd go for whichever has the most-interesting-of-all aspect for you!
    That usually provides the most enjoyment - even though whatīs most interesting often comes with the biggest load of unforeseen problems. Jump off at the deep end, as they say!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello, all!

Some time ago I built a WW2 Heinkel 162-2A "Spatz" - sparrow - Volksjäger, the "peopleīs fighter", a curious German throw-away aircraft made of wood! Its single dorsal 1800 flb BMW 003E-1 single-spool axial-flow turbojet engine gave it a top continuous speed of 453 knots, and 489 kt in short 2028 flb boost bursts. 116 units were built officially, but there were further, urgent, undocumented deliveries. The aircraft came too late to affect the outcome of the war.

I was wondering whether there was any interest for a possible upload for CFS here. The model will perhaps need some bleedthrough tweaking tu upgrade it conveniently, but I wanted to make sure iff there is any interest first.

Hereīs a screenshot!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot He-162-2A.jpg  

SOH Staff
    i would say, yes, please upload it.
    sometimes it doesn't.

AF99 in a Virtual Machine on a 64-bit OS

Hello all,

I did some tests with AF99 and CFS on a Windows 64-bit system using a virtualization programme called "VMWare Workstation 12 Player", and posted the results on Hubbabbubaīs thread "I really need to know!", because it is rather off-topic here.
    ...Just in case anyoneīs interested.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Heinkel He162-A2 1944 jet!

Hello all!

I have just uploaded the Heinkel He162 Sparrow. Hereīs the link:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=18&id=21752
    Enjoy! Criticism welcome - then Iīll improve it!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Merry Christmas to you all!
    ...and a happy New Year.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hoo noo, broon coo?

Happy new year to all!

"How now, brown cow?" is a friendly greeting often used by the Scots, as well as the Geordies in Northumbria I believe, and was pronounced like in the title. Shakespeare would use the similar "How say you now?", its short form being "How now?" - both quite archaic nowadays, of course, but nonetheless picturesque!

The Webster Dictionary actually has it as the equivalent of "Whatīs next?". So, the intention of this post is simply a query, looking for suggestions. After a moderate spell of inactivity, what shall be the next project... ? Maybe we can inject a bit of noise and activity!

As per a list last year by Smilo, Ivan, and myself, possible candidates after the three Martin A-30 Baltimores, Mk.II, IV and V, could be the Lockheed Ventura/Harpoon, the Grumman Tigercat, ...and possibly not the Tupolev Tu-95 Bear.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

SOH Staff
    ...and a happy new year to you as well.

i tend to lean toward active WWII era aircraft,
    so, naturally, the Lockheed Ventura/Harpoon
    would be on my wish list,
    followed by the tigercat.

of course, the do17 is, was
    and ever shall be at the top.
    but, that's just my list.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Smilo,

Yes, Now I remember you had mentioned the Do-17 "Flying Pencil", and the lack of a decent CFS1 version - the AI one being quite a simple FS5 job.

Ivan also mentioned it, and Iīve had a look at pictures. It actually looks like quite an interesting model to build, and I quite like the idea. Why not indeed!

With 2x1000 hp Bramo 323 Fafnir (the German dragonīs name - was it from the Nibelungen Lied?) 9-cyl radials, it sounds like a moderate performer, although not bad for an early war design.
    Iīll start doing some more extensive research and open a thread for it!

Iīve been poking around in the stock AI modelīs .air file, watching performance with the Beckwith Gauge Stack, and with a few tweaks, the engine hores-power looks quite accurate, although aircraft speed is way too fast, but easy to fix. Nevertheless, Iīll check with Ivan to see if itīs a good idea to use the AI .air file as a basis or not.

At any rate, the model seems very appetizing to make!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; January 3rd, 2017 at 13:27.

Yet More Candidates

Hello Folks,

We can' leave this thread idle for any length of time. It just would not be right.
    I have actually been looking around a bit even though I have not posted much about new design ideas.

I noticed that for one of the other Simulators, there is a Hawker Typhoon being developed.
    It is a pity there hasn't been a good one for CFS, at least not one that I know of.
    Another topic of recent research has been the P-39 Airacobra and that is likely to be the subject of a design study at some point.
    The British thought it was worthless. The Americans thought it wasn't very useful. The Russians thought it was great....
    Although its performance was mediocre, it did have a quite pleasing appearance.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Both look striking enough to make interesting projects. The way the P39 is designed is quite out of the ordinary. I wonder if it had any special handling characteristics due to the CoG with the engine behind the cockpit.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Possible new old-timer upload?

Hello folks!
    I was rummaging through my old FS98 old-old-timers and came across one that could be of interest. Dig the screenshot!
    I hadnīt bothered to try it out in CFS1 because I had automatically assumed that bleed problems would make it prohibitive, as unfortunately had happened with my version of the Caudron 3 fighter and the Caudron 4 twin engined bomber. ...although the old AGO.C1 was quite bleed-free, wanīt it?

So, I tried out the 1914 Otto BI trainer and fighter/bomber Doppeldecker, and I was amazed at the low level of bleed problems, so I have decided I could upload it, as it would require no additional work!

This machine was the first German widely used effective trainer, and also saw limited service on the Turkish front in the Great War. Fighter bomber may sound like a euphemism, but the gunner did fire a hand-pistol and dropped hand-grenades.

Incidentally, Gustav Otto Flugmaschinenwerke in Bavaria was the very beginning of what today is BMW.

Apparently there is new information as to a number of the latest units produced, which had the more powerful Rapp 150 hp engines instead of the more usual 100 Hp Argus or 100 Hp Gustav Otto engines or 80 Hp Gnome Rotaries, and this makes the Otto BI even more attractive for CFS1.

Now, engine spec details for the very obscure 150 Hp Rapp engine are impossible to find, and the FS98 .air file flies remarkably well, living up to the reputation of the real plane. So, its 150Hp engine and 96-inch propeller entries in the .air file, seem good enough, and the plane wouldnīt really need a specific CFS1 .air file.

So, would there be interest for another ancient plane here?
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Otto_BI.jpg  

SOH Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Hello All,

Here is what I have figured out thus far.
    (Please comment if you already know this or believe I am incorrect in my conclusions.)

I tuned the Gauge so that the pointer moved one tick mark per tap of the Trim adjustment keys.
    When the Trim adjustment is pressed several times very quickly,
    The first key press moves the pointer one tick, but
    Each following key press moves the pointer EIGHT ticks.
    This is very reliable and repeatable.

So.... Now I know that the Trim settings I had been listing in my Check Lists were really showing the Large adjustments and sometimes were not even showing them consistently depending on how fast I was making the adjustments.

I would also like to see if the Lateral and Directional Trim work the same way, but can't program the gauge to show it.

Next step is to program a Trim Gauge that can be added to an operational panel and maintain the appearance.
    The question now is whether to include this gauge into the main panel as I have been doing or to put it into yet another pull up panel or perhaps even to add it to the engine controls panel.
    It would be even more useful if I could make the new gauge react to mouse clicks.

- Ivan.
    so...what ever happened to this trim gauge?
    sometimes it doesn't.

SOH Staff
    "So, would there be interest for another ancient plane here?"

sure, there would.
    why not?
    sometimes it doesn't.

Hello Smilo,
    Yes, why not indeed... I was afraid people might have been getting tired of slow oldies, but I see my fears were misfounded.

I will gladly upload the plane very soon then, especially as it was the more powerful advanced version of the Otto "B" seies, with much improved performance, of which quite a number seem to have been produced. Including the ones with 80Hp and 100 Hp motorizations, the grand total was 150 units produced from 1912 to 1915, so it was quite appreciable.

Iīm just making the green uniforms grey to be more in accordance with those times, and correcting the readmeīs.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Folks,
    I have just uploaded the Otto B1 Pusher Biplane with the following link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=22486

I thought it was a good idea because I very recently found new information relative to the latest and more powerful units produced of this model in 1914 and 1915, that with their 150 Hp Rapp engine (50 Hp more!), make it more attractive than it was before for CFS. The gunner/observer had a hand pistol and could drop hand grenades, making this not only a reconnaissance and training aircraft, but also one of the first fighter/bombers!

Incidentally, another curious aspect of AF99 building in the case of this particular model, apart from the low bleed incidence, is a more extensive than usual use of structures: On one hand, for the convex-concave wings - all sections including ailerons and inter-wheel plane, and also all tail surfaces, and on the other hand, for the nacelle or cockpit pod, which is made of several separate top-only and bottom-only structures, which allowed a surprising degree of accuracy with the real nacelle, combining sharp edges and smooth curves. It started out as an experiment and I hadnīt expected the results obtained from using structures in this way. ... Small wonder, that parts count is at 148.9 % !

The model is easy to fly and takes off and lands at 35 mph, and is quite manoueverable, so it should be fun to fly. Top speed is all of 84 mph! ...Quite impressive compared to previous units of this model, that had 80 and 100 Hp engines, with top speeds of only 68 and 74 mph.

All in good fun, and enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Otto-B1-1.jpg   Otto-B1-2.jpg   Otto-B1-3.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; March 12th, 2017 at 10:26.