Radar Contact or VRS Super Bug?

Thread: Radar Contact or VRS Super Bug?

Radar Contact or VRS Super Bug?

With all the sales going on, I have to choose between Radar Contact and the VRS Super Hornet.

Does anyone either and what do you think of them?

Thanks

i don't own neither, but:

Get Radar contact if you fly IFR a lot; especially tube-liners. If you do a lot of GA and VFR flying, Radar Contact is not for you...

I've heard great things about the VRS F-18...but i've also read how it hogs FPS and mess w/ your joystick controls (this is why i didn't buy it). However, if you love military stuff and have a beefy PC, then go for it!

-feng

I would get the VRS. I have no idea how it messes with your joystick mine works fine. You can adjust the display to suit your FPS needs. I run everything high and dont seem to have issues. It is by my opinion the best modelled aircraft for MSFS bar none.

Andrew

Thanks Feng and Andrew,

Most of my flying is VFR below 5,000 feet so Radar Contact is going to be no good.

I have liked the look of the VRS Hornet for a while, it will be a good to get this in the hanger next to the Cloud9 F4 Phantom.

Thanks for the help guy's you have saved me some money.

All the best

dhazelgrove
    You can add the aerialfoundry CF-188 to your list.....

Dave

Your right Dave the Aerialfoundry F18 is great too, thanks for the reminder.

I have no experience with Radar contact for the reason mentioned above regarding lack of VFR support; The superbug, on the other hand, I do...I preordered it the day it went on sale...and was more excited about it than any FS addon ever! After purchasing, reading, tweaking my controllers, I went in for some flying. And was extremely disappointed. Not because it wasn't good, but because I was only getting about 10 fps....and no matter what I did as far as the configuration, 10 fps. I tried everything including the 1st service pack....then uninstalled. I now happily fly my Aerialfoundry hornet through azure skies with 40fps everywhere....oh well. When I get a better computer, I will try again....

Yeah I think the FPS can be tough but after the service packs it runs well. I think you have to adjust for FPS in the Aircarft config mangager I bet you could get your FPS to be acceptable and keep your AI at 50%. It is a shame to have paid for it and not try everything to get to fly it. It is amazing.

Andrew

FPS has always been an issue for me, I think I will have to do a bit of research to find out more, I do not want to spend money on something that will not run properly.

I don't know the VRS, but I have the Radar Contact 4.3 and I can give my impressions compared with the FS9 default ATC.

Advantages of RC vs FS9 ATC
    1 - No predictable altitude clearances
    2 - You can request "direct to" short cuts.
    3 - You can follow your SID, STARS without ATC interference. Note that RC doesn't realize if you fly a wrong SID or STAR.
    4 - Weather information by ATC.
    5 - Others minor advantages.

Disadvantages of RC vs FS9 ATC
    1 - A bit robotic speech, no smooth
    2 - No taxi instructions for gates.
    3 - Risky approach vectors flying mountainous areas. Separation from ground is under pilot responsibility.
    4 - No good for VFR
    5 - No cheap!!
    6 - Others minor issues
    CIAO
    Stefano [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was reading some of the features of the Superbug and I gotta wonder with the radars ability to 'lock on' and launchable ordinance, do the missles track the locked targets ?

i.e. can I shoot stuff down ? If so can I shoot down multiplayer 'targets' (A/A collisions ON)?

Simulated combat capability:
    • "Hostility zone” modeling for Anti-Air-Warfare (SAM/AAA). Kill them or they kill you.
    • Accurate AN/APG-73 A/A radar simulation with multi-mode capability.
    • AI and multiplayer aircraft can be tracked and fired upon and will disappear from radar if hit.
    • 3 CCIP bombing modes.
    • 3 HARM release modes.
    • Laser Maverick simulation.
    • Discrete air-to-air missile modeling.
    • FLIR LST and LTD simulation (no IR imagery).
    50 bucks would be worth it if this bird can do that.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Yes you can shoot AI down. They dont disappear from the air but the radar will act as though it's been shot down. You can also attack ground targets the VOR will act like SAM sites and you can attack them all ordinance fires and will affect how the airplane fly's as well, heavy on one wing or the other. This will affect the airplane in the air you can drop your fuel tanks and you will see an improvement in your range because you lost the drag.
    I sound like a real fanboy and that is because I truly like this airplane and the more they sell hopefully they can continue develop the F model I have also heard mention of a legacy hornet. Hopefully the FSX upgrade will go well and these guys can keep developing.

Andrew

Cant say I'm a fan of a 'simulated' kill as there's no substitute to watching your target explode in flames, and watch a parachute emerge from the plummeting wreckage but it could be fun. A legacy Hornet would also be great, I think I'll go buy one tomorrow. Thanks for the review WAD3.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go fire up Falcon 4 to get back into practice.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

I can understand the simulated kill not being the same but the fact that it can be done in FS9 at all is pretty amazing.

Andrew