Should I switch to FSX?

Thread: Should I switch to FSX?

Should I switch to FSX?

I usually reside in the basement (FS9 Forums) so please excuse this type of posting here.

I have been thinking about switching to FSX for a while now, but having so many FS9 add-ons has made it difficult to justify the move.

My system consists of AMD Athalon 64 processor 3500+, 2GB Ram @ 2.21Ghz and an Nvidia Geforce 7900GTX graphics card.

Running FS9 I can get 20FPS without a problem, is the system good enough to run a reasonable FSX install?

Also what are the essential payware add-ons to get, things like terrain mesh etc?

Thanks for the help

It would probably run........ just.

I should not say this, because now I can't sell you any of our stellar FSX products, but I would stick to FS9 if you are not planning to substantially increase hardware power.
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Charter Member 09
    Unless your ready to spend a considerable amount of money chasing the Frame Rate Fairy, I say stick with FS9. I still use FS9 because of the number of great aircraft it offers. Probably as much as I use FSX.
    Although FSX has some goodies and scenery that FS9 may not have, all things considered, it really wasn't worth the additional cost.
    As your computer is currently configured, I'd say forget it. FSX would be much worse than FS9 on it's poorest day.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

I agree with the comments above.
    Until you replace your computer by a more powerfull one, forget about FSX, stay with FS9.

harleyman
    Agreed..

You would not be happy with FSX on that set up...

FSX is really nice, but you do need at least a dual core CPU running at 3 GHz or greater, preferably greater, in order to have a good flight experience. An Athlon 3500+ is not likely to provide you with a smooth flight experience in FSX as it is barely enough for FS9.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks Guy's, I was leaning towards sticking with FS9 myself, I hate to think how much I have spent on all the add-ons by now and starting all over again would be tough.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    I appreciate the comments, I am off back to the basement!<o></o>
    <o></o>
    All the best<o></o>

Blog Entries
    Richard what motherboard do you have? There may be some hope if you are willing to spend a little money
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I have an EPOX EP MF4-J Motherboard.

I did look at changing the processor and upgrading memory before, I cannot remember the out come though.

My memory probably needs upgrading too!

Blog Entries
    Richard the board you have is not the greatest but has a redeeming feature in the Nvidia NForce 4 chipset which is PCI Express so maybe with your 7900GTX as long as you don't get greedy on graphics you might just be able to run FSX at a reasonable rate. You do have the capability to run DDR2 800 PC6400 memory but you probably have 667 mhz memory right now. Make sure you upgrade the memory to DDR2 800 mhz before attempting FSX. It won't be a great experience but it won't be horrible either.
    Ted

You are maxed out on your socket 754 CPU and your motherboard will not run socket 939 or higher. If you change motherboards to Intel socket 755 you have more options but you are talking about spending more money
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Westcott View Post
    I have an EPOX EP MF4-J Motherboard.
    I did look at changing the processor and upgrading memory before, I cannot remember the out come though.
    My memory probably needs upgrading too!
    Yea, as mentioned above, upgrade to 4gig memory, at least an NVidia 8600 and a faster CPU (which would most likely entail a newer motherboard which would give you at least a dual core processor to boot).

FSX has a lot to offer over FS9, but if you try it with your current rig, you'll never see those advantages in a positive light. Stay with what you have for now til you can get the rig you really need to do it right. Ted can assist as well as Harleyman. . .both are very qualified.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Thanks for the advice, I think I will get christmas out the way and take a look at upgrading things then.

Appreciate you help.

Falcon, I am still using your Winkleigh scenery, thanks again for that!

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Westcott View Post
    . . . . .Falcon, I am still using your Winkleigh scenery, thanks again for that!
    All the best
    Wow, really? Considering how far I've come since that scenery, if I had the time I'd go back and drop in the photoimage for ground textures. It would really add to it I'm sure.

Glad you're still using it though.:ernae:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)