jkcook28/General Aviation/Cessna 310
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jkcook28/General Aviation/Cessna 310

jkcook28/General Aviation/Cessna 310

Departing EGUN for LRSB. May divert shorter or longer depending on fuel. Not much flight planning for this run; gonna wing it!
    -John-

OK, feeling lucky so I'm diverting farther downstream to LROP with 4mi of gas in hand. Hope the wind sticks 'cause there is no other airport before there...
    -John-

Down safe @ LROP, stuff to follow.

3 Gal. left over. Should have gone on to LRBS 5mi south. :d
    -John-

Quote Originally Posted by jkcook28 View Post

3 Gal. left over
    Phew! Way to wring it out JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Phew! Way to wring it out JC.

PFFFFFT!!! lots left!.. just use the NASCAR 'wiggle' to get the last few drops out of the tank and into the pickups. 3 Gal. should be enough for one lap!

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Time to move onward. LROP-->ORBS.
    Really no way to make Baghdad with this wind but see how close I get.
    -John-

Divert -->LTCH.
    -John-

Down and green @ LTCH

Stormy below near the whole route; and bumpy. Wind no friend.
    -John-

Heading on into Baghdad. LTCH-->ORBS.
    -John-

Down safe ORBS.
    -John-

Well this leg makes or breaks me. ORBS-->OP1D. If I come up short of fuel, I go down in Iran with associated penalties. At the mercy of the Wind Gods!
    -John-

Hey All,

Fly little Songbird fly...

Hey how come you don't have a Songbird paint on that plane? :mixedsmi:

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

Fly little Songbird fly...

Hey how come you don't have a Songbird paint on that plane? :mixedsmi:

-Ed-
    Because I have no artistic ability!:d

Finally out of the stormy Baghdad area into the clear.
    About 35mi to the good at the moment...
    -John-

Down green @ OP1D.

4 gal. left over this time.
    -John-

Great flight-maximizing performance right to the edge.

But note maximum altitude...ouch!
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Great flight-maximizing performance right to the edge.

But note maximum altitude...ouch!

Oh my, I didn't see that. It doesn't show in the text file, but I can guess where it happened in there. AP was set at 17,800 for entire leg. I normally sit and monitor the flight updating the altimeter every few minutes to avoid this. Turbulent and stormy in a few portions of this leg, and I stepped away for 20min to walk my dog. Had to be then.
    I'm going to beg for mercy in court here. Don't know now if the weather (or my time) will allow a refly and re-route adds 100mi.
    1 hour penalty eliminates me.
    22ft blip in a pressure change isn't like trying to cruise above 18K to defeat the rules.
    I rest my case.

Judges?
    -John-

Well, I'll assume penalty applies for busting the ceiling so with a R/L plan change this morning I have some time to refly it.
    ORBS-->OP1D.
    -John-

John, the Committee has extensively discussed this case and decided to apply the rule as written.
    Flights for which the Duenna records an altitude exceeding the hard ceiling (General Aviation 18,000'; Golden Age 15,000') will automatically require the pilot to repeat the flight from the original departure airport—without penalty. (Pilots, at their own option, may choose to accept a penalty and go forward without repeating the flight. The penalty is 1 hour on the first violation and 3 hours for each subsequent violation.)
    The rule does not penalize violations--it merely cancels invalid legs. Understanding that MSFS weather can generate severe weather transitions, the rule treats inadvertent ceiling transgressions as though they were computer failures—as something beyond the pilot's control.

The hard ceiling of 18,000 feet governs Modern General Aviation aircraft. The pilot who seeks to fly fast and efficiently at a high cruising altitude must judge the tradeoff between flying near 18,000 feet and flying somewhat lower to guard against unexpected air pressure changes and storm turbulence. The MSFS weather engine can produce very sudden weather events so this is a matter of real concern.

There is a risk-reward factor here: the structure of the contest allows the pilot to choose a strategy that makes the best time possible while not busting the ceiling.

We understand that you were not aiming to fly above the ceiling. This is not a matter of intentionally violating the rules. Let us be clear about that.

Instead, you were making a perfectly legitimate strategic calculation about the safety margin. You were cruising at 17,800 feet--a margin of 200 feet. You guess that the event occurred when you were away momentarily and were unable to monitor the weather continuously. All this seems within the range of normal MSFS weather fluctuations where unexpected altitude shifts of 200 feet or more are part of the way things work.

It appears that you took a "racing" risk here to catch the tailwinds and fly the Cessna fast and far. With no margin to spare, you executed a spectacularly successful leg. But in doing so, you inadvertently busted the altitude ceiling--making this an invalid leg.

You may re-fly the leg now. With favorable winds, it is quite possible that you might achieve a better time than the first ill-fated attempt.

--The Organizing Committee
    -Mike

Roger that Mike. I understand the rules, it's just that these wx fluctuations can only be caught if you are sitting there monitoring the flight start to finish; and one needs a break from time to time on a 4hr leg. (even longer for Golden Age!) I'd rather not pause everytime something comes up and send a shotgun blast of numbers your way to calculate legs.
    Myself, I consider reflying a 4hr leg a penalty; for my backside if nothing else! :d
    -John-

In FS9, if you have a registered version of FSUIPC, it can make the transitions between pressure zones more gradual, there is a setting that can make the pressure change slower allowing the autopilot to adjust for variations in the pressure.

When your weather program (Active Sky for example) suddenly changes the pressure, FSUIPC catches this change and applies the change slower (over several seconds) instead of instantly.

This is not fool proof however, and i usually fly at cruising altitude with an altimeter setting of 29.92" so i dont' have to constantly adjust it. This means that I can't cruise very close to the ceiling, I will fly about 500' - 1000' below it.

Sorry for your luck but who knows, your refly may be better time.

Down again @ OP1D.
    -John-

Six minutes faster!!!

-Mike

On to India. VIJP
    -John-

Arrived VIJP.

1.5mi vis but a snap with GPS approach to ILS. No sweaty palms groping for the runway! :d
    -John-

Quote Originally Posted by jkcook28 View Post
    No sweaty palms ??? groping??? for the runway! :d
    No, we're not going to ask....

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein