Race Summary - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Race Summary

The Race Committee would like to thank Eamonn for his effort setting up the Race Summary (and without any of our usual twisting of arms or bribes in strange currencies).

The best we can do (times are tough and the budget is limited) is to acknowledge Eamonn Watson as "Official Bob Cratchet Recorder and Analyst for the 2009 MacRobertson Race".

Now don't go aiming missiles his way if there are any inconsistencies - he's just putting quill to paper and handling the data

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

OOPS???

Just looked and it seems the General Aviation stats are missing from the latest update.
    May be me, or did I miss the memo where we were kicked out of the event?

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

turn the page
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Hey All,

I just wanted to add my Thanks to Martin and Eamonn for doing this scoring. :ernae: I like both calculation systems.

Now I'm not doing as well as I would like but it is due to headwinds and piloting not scoring!

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

SOH-CM-2016
    The spectators at Baghdad have sent a further report. They reckon they've seen 20 aircraft now, and if their (unofficial) calculations are right the handicap race situation is something like this:

Code:
    Handicap (time ahead or behind handicap allowance time)
    -0:21:23 Vicious Golden Age GeeBee R-6 QED
    -0:07:21 Team Viagara GA Aerostar Super 700
    -0:00:15 Salt Air Golden Age Lockheed Vega 5B
    00:04:51 arvoo Golden Age Savoia Marchetti SM.79
    00:11:48 MM Golden Age Percival E3H Mew Gull
    00:17:34 Willy GA Cessna 337H 
    00:17:43 BuzzBee Golden Age Spartan Executive
    00:22:08 Highmike GA Piper PA-31 Cheyenne I/IA
    00:26:58 Bry Rosier Golden Age Savoia Marchetti SM.79
    00:46:48 Rob O Golden Age de Havilland DH.88 Comet
    00:53:55 Moses03 Golden Age Lockheed Twin Model 14
    01:05:52 EdGeneer Golden Age DC3 (FS2004 default)
    01:33:43 EasyEd Golden Age Messerschmitt Bf 108
    01:36:27 Rfields Golden Age Savoia Marchetti SM.79
    03:49:14 DangerousDave26 Golden Age de Havilland DH.80A Puss Moth
    04:26:05 MaddogK Golden Age Fairey Fox 
    04:30:37 PRB Golden Age Lockheed Orion 9D
    04:32:41 Team Melrose Golden Age Puss Moth
    06:29:07 Simondix Golden Age MAAM DC3
    11:39:50 Falcon 409 GA Piper Twin Comanche
    Of course there are still a few more aircraft still on route to Baghdad, so further updates can be expected. Meanwhile, one of the spectators has grabbed a ride to Alahabad, and expects to start sending reports from there soon. :mixedsmi:

Well done everyone!!
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

I have added something similar to what Martin has to my spreadsheet on google. It will give you a leaderboard based on the most recent checkpoint people have reached. For example, Rob O has made it to YPDN so his handicap time will reflect the handicap to YPDN whereas PRB who has made it only to ORBS will reflect the handicap time to ORBS.

Any questions, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by epwatson View Post

Any questions, let me know.
    Why Yes I do...

Whats a Henway?
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Depending on additives and steroids, about 4 pounds.

SOH-CM-2016
    To celebrate Rob's arrival into Melbourne, I bring you......

..... the "Progressograph". Unofficial of course, but it kind of shows you the progress of pilots at each of the mandatory checkpoints.

I reckon that Rob arrived about 3 mins behind his handicap time, after over 50 hours of flying.

Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Hey all,

I have updated the spreadsheet. Looks like Vicious is in the lead for handicap with Spookster67 close behind, however keep in mind both of them haven't made it to Melbourne yet.

Only 28 Pilots have made at the very least the 1st checkpoint, lets go people...

Even though srgalahad is doing the precision scores, my spreadsheet was already set to do it.. LOL, so it is available as well in my spreadsheet on Google.. Salt Air at 78 points and Great Ozzie at 124 points.. Wow..

Good Luck everyone..

Holy crap everyone, i take a day off updating the stats and you all go nuts.. Took me the last hour to put in all the flights but it is now up to date.

Also added Vicious Precision flight. Wow 29 seconds, not sure that will be beaten, but you never know.

I thought it might be hard pressed for salt's score to be beaten, but wow... Vicious, nice job
    Remember: It's break ground, and fly into the wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've added a new feature to the race summary.

Now you can see where everyone is.. NOTE: It shows the last stop they made based on the data input into the spreadsheet and is NOT a live view.

Click the Locations Map tab of the spreadsheet and allow the google map to load. You can then click the various Red Dots to show you who that is.

Thanks..

Most Excellent Eamonn!!!!! Thanks for all your work
    Remember: It's break ground, and fly into the wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In the latest update to the Summary, under Precision Scores you will see that donlimpio's result has been flagged under "Valid Estimate". This is an automated alert in the spreadsheet.

From the Precision Flying Rules:
    2.The estimate must be consistent with the pilot's cumulative Average Speed as shown on the Race Summary (within 5% in time).

ie 682.5/avg speed +/- 5% (eg. 682.5/200kts = 204 minutes (2hr 24min) +/- 10 minutes -- ETE must be between 2:14 and 2:34).

In this case Average = 186.2 kts - calculated as 3:17:50 (+/- 5%) for a range of 3:07:50 to 3:27:50 Pilot estimate was 3:35.

The Committee is reviewing the data.

Rob

donlimpio
    ah, the wonder of statistics! And them mighty headwinds of Queensland, flew full throttle straight in. Or in other words couldn't have made it any faster.

donlimpio
    oh, but one thing is for sure, this was still pure luck, no skill involved, in fact I thought I was early and was considering landing into the wind from the other side, guess my surprise when I stopped the Duenna!

Edit:

and just checked the average, for some reason with me 682.5/186.2 translates to roughly 220min, or 3:40h ?

I think you're correct. It looks like the calculated time may be off for some reason. I'm sure the judges will get it sorted out.
    Vicious - Team Avsim

Hey all,

It was pointed out to me that the calculation has been slightly off. I have looked into it and i was using the handicap reference speed to calculate the time taken and not the average speed of the pilot.

I have fixed it and will be updating the google docs spreadsheet shortly.

Thank you all and good work donlimpio, 12 seconds will be hard to beat..

Quote Originally Posted by donlimpio View Post
    oh, but one thing is for sure, this was still pure luck, no skill involved, in fact I thought I was early and was considering landing into the wind from the other side, guess my surprise when I stopped the Duenna!

Edit:

and just checked the average, for some reason with me 682.5/186.2 translates to roughly 220min, or 3:40h ?
    Congrats, Olli.. you are fine (and have a beer on Eamonn's tab or mine since we let this sneak thru).

An excellent run and a fortuitous choice to do the straight-in approach. Of course we put it down to skill, putting out 110%, listening to the coach, off-season training and a great crew

Just so you all know we really Do care and look, here's the Google Earth plot of his last few minutes if you are curious

Rob

donlimpio
    Yay! Thanks Rob, ahh the bubbles are tasting even better now, there must have been another box here somewhere? Oh wait-I'll keep it for you guys tastes even better with the posse around.

And I have to thank you Eamonn, putting together this excellent spreadsheet and keeping it together all the time, great work and cheers to you!

And had a look at the flight track, nice to see the final touchdown in google. Thanks again to you Sir Rob Galahad, and of course to the whole team at SOH for hosting such an excellent race event.

Olli

All,

U have updated the spreadsheet with the latest flights.. As for the precision scores, my apologies for fouling that up.

However it is all fixed now.. Now its time to see if we can get it under 12 seconds.. lol

:ernae:

Eamonn

Seems your Google API is missing.

I was checking the map to see everyone's location and it is not there.

Thats a fine feature
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Hi all,

Just a reminder that we have, in essence, five contests. They are:

• Golden Age Speed Race.
    • Golden Age Handicap Race.
    • Modern General Aviation Speed Race.
    • Modern General Aviation Handicap Race.
    • Precision Flying. (Both classes of aircraft qualify.)

Note that an entry may win either the Speed Race or the Handicap Race in any given class. This forced choice mimicks that of the 1934 MacRoberston--it nicely spreads the rewards. Pilots will make their choices shortly after the official end of the the competition.

The pilots choose the Speed or Handicap division in order of their finish in the Speed Race. For example, Tom (Vicious) seems about to win both the Speed and Handicap Races in the Golden Age class. He must choose which one he will win. That choice having been made, then the second finisher in the Speed Race (at the moment Bry) chooses Speed or Handicap. And so on within the Golden Age class.

The same sequence applies for the Modern General Aviation class as well.

The Race Committee will award 3 prizes in each contest: Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. Any entry is eligible for only one prize in each racing class. (Though note that a pilot may be on several entries.)

All pilots are also eligible for the Precision Flying prizes.

Some pilots may discover that they are competitive when they at first thought they were not. Some close scrutiny of the aircraft capabilities, actual performance, and the prizes available may prove interesting.

Mike (for the Committee)
    -Mike

I have modified the Leaderboard to show the individual competitions.